Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 PM   #15

This is not a political comment, one way or another, but there are consequences we all have to live with depending on how we vote.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
It isn't limited to NY, the same thing is going on in Illinois. More taxes to feed the Chicago machine. People are just fed up with the cost to live/work/do business there.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #17

Not sure where the 30 day thing came from. I own a summer home in NY and RV the rest of the year. I claim Fl.residency and spend at least 6 months there.

This is what I found.

Is your client a resident of New York State for tax purposes? Under NYS Tax Law Section 605(b), a resident is defined as someone who is domiciled in New York State, or who maintains a “permanent place of abode” (PPA) and spends more than 183 days of the tax year in New York.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/pit_definitions.htm
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
From "I Love NY" to "We don't care if you like it here we aren't letting you leave". Send your tax payment for reading this message to NYisfiscallyirresponsibleandyougetotpayforit.com

The DW retires in a week, I will be following soon after. We currently have homes in NY and FL. We worked and lived in NY but will retire in FL while keeping our current NY home as a summer home only from May to the end of Aug. Several months less than half the year. I am reading through everything we have to do just to prove the NY home will no longer be our domicile....

It's no wonder there is a mass exodus out of this state. How sad is it a state has to force people to jump through such crazy hoops to keep them? Florida and others entice the people by being tax friendly.
I met a guy from New Jersey who has a home in Maryland (Still a high Tax state) and to Leave he has to Pay an EXIT TAX??? -- --

Pay to get out of a Bad State........this is crazy.

JMHO,

note here - Interesting that I have traveled to and Love almost all he states in this great country - but there are three or four that I avoid now - NY - Cali - Chicago and Boston - still have Great People I just Don't understand the Politics and the Taxes
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBurt View Post
Old military acronym:

PPPPPD.

And for those that weren't in the military exactly what does that mean? The acronym craze does absolutely nothing to foster good communication!
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #20

NY's new motto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
This is not a political comment, one way or another, but there are consequences we all have to live with depending on how we vote.

Exactly! And..... if you leave your high tax state and come to mine, please don’t bring your voting habits with you that caused the problem in the first place.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Exactly! And..... if you leave your high tax state and come to mine, please don’t bring your voting habits with you that caused the problem in the first place.
I would venture to guess the ones leaving are because of the policies so looking for a state more conducive to their own politics. I know that's what I am doing.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:17 AM   #22

We have gone through a number of NY state residency audits and, although they are not pleasant, they are not the end of the world. The key to leaving NY is just simply one of documentation. You need to prove that you were not in the state more than 183 days per year. If you pay little or no NY income tax then they have no reason to chase you.

One of the kickers to this 183 day rule is the way a day is counted. If you are in the state at ANY time during the day it is counted as one day. For example, if you land in NY at 11:59 PM on Monday and leave on 12:01 AM on Tuesday, you have been in the state for two days.

We had one audit that was particularly contentious. The auditor had the client provide three years of credit card statements. His logic was priceless. He found a charge on June 1 in Florida. No credit card charges on June 2. Then there was a charge on June 3 in Florida. The auditor tried to state that the guy was in NY on June 2 because he had no charges in Florida on that date.

The audit was contentious because the guy had a business in Florida which made a very large profit. He also had real estate holdings in NY which required him to file non-resident returns in NY. That's why they started to chase him. It's all about the money.

How we finally won on this one was by obtaining the cell phone records from Verizon which showed which tower the guy was using for his cell phone calls. Bottom line is that he was in NY less than 90 days.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
We have gone through a number of NY state residency audits and, although they are not pleasant, they are not the end of the world. The key to leaving NY is just simply one of documentation. You need to prove that you were not in the state more than 183 days per year. If you pay little or no NY income tax then they have no reason to chase you.

One of the kickers to this 183 day rule is the way a day is counted. If you are in the state at ANY time during the day it is counted as one day. For example, if you land in NY at 11:59 PM on Monday and leave on 12:01 AM on Tuesday, you have been in the state for two days.

We had one audit that was particularly contentious. The auditor had the client provide three years of credit card statements. His logic was priceless. He found a charge on June 1 in Florida. No credit card charges on June 2. Then there was a charge on June 3 in Florida. The auditor tried to state that the guy was in NY on June 2 because he had no charges in Florida on that date.

The audit was contentious because the guy had a business in Florida which made a very large profit. He also had real estate holdings in NY which required him to file non-resident returns in NY. That's why they started to chase him. It's all about the money.

How we finally won on this one was by obtaining the cell phone records from Verizon which showed which tower the guy was using for his cell phone calls. Bottom line is that he was in NY less than 90 days.
Bloodsuckers.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
As you're a retired government employee I assume you approve of taxes that supported and continue to support you. But then everybody supports those taxes that benefit them and disapproves of taxes that benefit others. [mod edit]
Anyway, wherever I go I'll vote as I see fit.
JpalmerCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #25

It's funny but as a retiree, my voting direction has completely flipped. The things I voted for and supported while in my working career now seem wasteful.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
As you're a retired government employee I assume you approve of taxes that supported and continue to support you. But then everybody supports those taxes that benefit them and disapproves of taxes that benefit others. [mod edit]

Anyway, wherever I go I'll vote as I see fit.
To Clarify, Most NYS Government employees are not supported by the Government once in Retirement. Pension funds come from the NYS retirement system which is a completely separate entity so former Government employees are not disapproving benefits for anyone much less future employees.

The fact is the Government offers benefits many of which are in retirement to entice employees to take jobs that more often than not pay much less than private sector given the same education levels. These employees work for much less than their private sector counter parts for many years. They do this under contract so are not getting or taking anything from anyone and earned everything they worked for.

Teachers are the perfect example. With a masters degree working for JP Morgan they would earn 10 times the pay they get starting as a teacher at barely above minimum wage raising in salary typically 2% in a good year.

And just to add. The NYS retirement system is one of the healthiest in the country "because" NYS can not touch it, [mod edit]
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
And for those that weren't in the military exactly what does that mean? The acronym craze does absolutely nothing to foster good communication!
I learned that one, even though I was not in the military:

"Proper Planning Prevents P__-Poor Decisions"

No comment on whether this applies to the topic at hand.

Had a professor who once wrote some guidance on a blackboard before a major exam:

"Eschew Obfuscation"

Someone had to run out and get a dictionary to look up both of those words.

[You should know how old I am now, as I used words like "blackboard" and "dictionary."]

For those who know them, abbreviations can clarify communications. Among the unknowing, abbreviations often obfuscate.

Enough about that. Sorry to go off-topic.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I understand your frustration. You have two states, California and New York, who are trying to see who can outdo the other with the worse legislation. In their goal to take every dollar from those that are working, they are chasing working people out of the state as fast as they are drawing in those not willing to work. Consequently, they're trying to hold on tight to your money.

Unfortunately, the issue is not hard to understand. You have two homes and it needs to be determined where you pay your income tax. They can't trust that everyone will be honest and do the right thing. As much as I hate the two states, I can't fault them for making you prove residency.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote