Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Observation cam monitor mounting

Has anyone engineered a way to mount the Furrion monitor over the rear view mirror? I dont want to use the suction cup and obviously with the rv back there the rear view mirror is useless anyway. I will come up with something but a head start would be nice
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #2

Following! We just bought o e and have been wondering the same thing.
Slapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

i'm also looking for a rear camera for our T/T so i'm all ears here. it will be interesting to see what comes up.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I just installed the Tadi Brother camera and monitor in my son-in-laws new Cougar 5th wheel and 2017 GMC 2500. In the center console, there is a small slot, the width of the console and about 1" wide and 1" deep, just below the center dash controls. Moving toward the rear of the truck, there is the deep storage well just behind that slot. I bent a piece of tin so that an "L" shaped piece dropped into that slot and then bent the tin again so that a long piece of the tin dropped into the well. The piece that dropped into the slot fit snugly and then you have a short flat section between the slot and the deep well. The piece that dropped into the well was cut so it touched the bottom of the well. When the piece was finished (looked like an upside "J" with square bends) I used what would be the bottom of the "J" (upside down) as the place where I attached the monitor "U" mount. By using just a single bolt in the center of the monitor mount, I could swivel it toward the driver and tilt up and down. It left just enough space to still access controls on the dash.

When I was done, I had some carbon fiber 3M wrap that I used to cover the tin piece. The weight of the monitor holds the tin bracket in place.

Since this required just some folds in tin, it was pretty fast and easy to make.

If you insist on having the monitor mount at the mirror. Use tin or aluminum and make a "U" shaped bracket with 3"- 4" sides and drop it over the top of the mirror. Use the monitor attachment points to attach to the bracket you made. With this bracket, you can just slide it over the mirror and should be very stable. You could line the inside of the "U: shape bracket with felt.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I had thought about making something similar out of aluminum. Thanks
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #6

Hoping someone can help with a question about observation cameras. We have a brand new Forest River 35 ft TT, we would like to add an observation camera to our rig. The rig came pre-wired for a Furrion camera system, but not sure if it's the type of camera system that I keep hearing cuts in and out so much. If it's already pre-wired, can we just plug and play with any camera system as long as it will communicate with the monitor? And, is the Furrion system hard wired somehow from the TT to the trailer hitch plug or do you have to string a wire from the trailer somehow through a window for the monitor screen?
azsunny58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #7

On my Wrangler, I removed the OEM mirror and installed this -

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It might work in your application. When the camera is not on, the mirror is full width and the monitor portion is not visible. The photos don't show that very well.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #8

Does your truck have a monitor in the dash? Get on the boards for your truck and do a search.

On the ram boards there are several people who have tapped into the video input for the main screen on the dash. Using separate switches they are able to switch between inputs from several cameras.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #9

I have the Furrion observation camera on my KZ toy hauler. 31 fit length.

I have NO problem with it going out.
The trailer came with the Furrion backup camera. It would blank out all the time. I called Furrion and they agreed to swap the system with the observation camera and $100.
Go for it!
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #10

Backup camera vs observation camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
I have the Furrion observation camera on my KZ toy hauler. 31 fit length.

I have NO problem with it going out.
The trailer came with the Furrion backup camera. It would blank out all the time. I called Furrion and they agreed to swap the system with the observation camera and $100.
Go for it!
We've been back and forth with our KZ dealer and Furrion for months over the back up camera that came pre-installed by the dealer, going in and out (mostly out). We tried everything they suggested and nothing has worked. They replaced the entire system and that didn't help. Most recently they noted that the camera was mounted so that the antenna did not extend over the roof line of the RV and said we need to get a longer antenna. We've got the antenna but haven't had time to test it yet because we've been stationary and our truck has been in for repair.

Question is, what's the difference between a "backup camera" and an "observation camera?"
bubbiebecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #11

The observation camera/ monitor seems to have a much stronger signal.When I received the new one, I set the camera up in my home basement and took the monitor out to my garage, 150 feet away and had a great picture.
One thing about the observation system is it has an antenna on the camera and monitor.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote