Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't need to pick up my cig butts before I leave..... NONE of them go on the ground!
I don't need to pick up beer tins before I leave, they are in a can & bottle container, which I carry with me.
Don't lump everyone who smokes and/or drinks, into one group !!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I don't need to pick up my cig butts before I leave..... NONE of them go on the ground!
I don't need to pick up beer tins before I leave, they are in a can & bottle container, which I carry with me.
Don't lump everyone who smokes and/or drinks, into one group !!!!
Thanks! I owe you a cold one!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #31

Observations About Campground Hosting

Yes you are not aloud to discharge a firearm in MO state parks , however . If I'm needing to defend myself or family , or maybe even you , I'm not to concerned about breaking a park rule .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
A post about hosting observations has deteriorated. I am sorry I included the observation about open carry. It has caused the post to take a turn toward being a diatribe about guns.

I am not going to continue debate about whether or not the U.S. needs to become the Dodge City of the 21st century.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
So Cigarettes, Beer and Firearms are something you have an issue with..
Easy fix, don't buy tobacco, don't buy beer, don't buy a firearm....done, oh, and don't disrespect those that do by singling them out, that's there choice!
I believe it's the irresponsibility of drinking while carrying a firearm that is the problem. The combination of the two frequently leads to sorrow.

I have been a camp host for the past 5 years. If I saw a guy or gal with a gun while drinking in my campground I would immediately call a ranger.

Yoho, moho, the traveler's life for me!
sinjineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #34

Observations About Campground Hosting

Sinj, in several states the ranger would tell you they are within the law.
I didn't want it to become a diatribe . That's why they frown on the topic here. But , you made the comment/ question & I simply replied with an honest truthful answer .
But sinj, I don't think he ment the person was drinking with a firearm .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
But sinj, I don't think he ment the person was drinking with a firearm .
So a man and a firearm walk into a bar...
Old 09-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #36

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Thanks! I owe you a cold one!
See, if there were more folks like you out there, I could save a LOT of money !!
Old 09-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #37
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I carry a snuff box from Williamsburg for my cigarettes. I believe leave it better than you found it. I am so old, in 1945, the only folks who ever wanted to have a gun again was to bring food home and criminals.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #38

[QUOTE=LeeB;3255155]It was a first come first serve campground and after about 3 days we decided to take control of the "Tags". We had a few groups that would come in and grab 5 or 10 tags and go around and remove Tags that were legitimate and replace them with theirs until they decided on which campsite they wanted. Yes it did cause fights...

Once we took control of the "Tags" it was oh so much mellower...

Then "WE" controlled the campground and "Not" let the campground control us...

This also.

We had that problem also. it always seems to be the locals coming on a wed or thursday and holding the sites for friday night for all the buddies. started as just a tag, then i pulled tags, then it went to a chair on each and i still pulled the tag and moved the chair to the road. they got the idea soon enough... Pretty much every time it was the i been coming here 10 years or 20years or whatever and you must be new this is how we have always done it. It seems managment and past host just ignored it. Well I do not, I full time and i sometimes have issues finding a site cause they are all being held. I do not care if you paid or not. rules are clear, " must be occupied the first night of a reservaion or registration" and hanging a tag, dropping a chair or just parking the trailer does not count. at least make an effort to make it look look like you are camping.

By the end of the stay there we had it much better cause these local yahoos all know each other and the word got out the host was enforcing the rules. Same rules that are in place in most every campground across the country.

The other issue was the ones who thouht the 2 weeks and leave for a night did not apply to them. We had a group of 5 or so who had for years taken the best sites and never left for the summer (using senior half rice rates of course). They tried the just move sites game with us. they would all just try to move to their pals sites for 24 hours then back to the original site. Nope not gonna happen.

I filled those sites with full paying guest all summer who were so pleased they could get a lakeside site for the first time in 5 or 10 or whatever years. felt good to hear the thanks for enforcing the rules from them and many others........made up for the ugly looks from the ones who had to make other plans because for (it seemed) for the first time in their life the rules also applied to them.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrv View Post
We had that problem also. it always seems to be the locals coming on a wed or thursday and holding the sites for friday night for all the buddies. started as just a tag, then i pulled tags, then it went to a chair on each and i still pulled the tag and moved the chair to the road. they got the idea soon enough... Pretty much every time it was the i been coming here 10 years or 20years or whatever and you must be new this is how we have always done it. It seems managment and past host just ignored it. Well I do not, I full time and i sometimes have issues finding a site cause they are all being held. I do not care if you paid or not. rules are clear, " must be occupied the first night of a reservaion or registration" and hanging a tag, dropping a chair or just parking the trailer does not count. at least make an effort to make it look look like you are camping.

By the end of the stay there we had it much better cause these local yahoos all know each other and the word got out the host was enforcing the rules. Same rules that are in place in most every campground across the country.

The other issue was the ones who thouht the 2 weeks and leave for a night did not apply to them. We had a group of 5 or so who had for years taken the best sites and never left for the summer (using senior half rice rates of course). They tried the just move sites game with us. they would all just try to move to their pals sites for 24 hours then back to the original site. Nope not gonna happen.

I filled those sites with full paying guest all summer who were so pleased they could get a lakeside site for the first time in 5 or 10 or whatever years. felt good to hear the thanks for enforcing the rules from them and many others........made up for the ugly looks from the ones who had to make other plans because for (it seemed) for the first time in their life the rules also applied to them.
Had that problem on Labor Day, we went out Thursday and got one of the last least desirable spots, got set up and looked around at a bunch of empty pup tents set up on the lakeside spots, stayed that way until Friday night when people finally showed up to actually occupy the site. Putting a placeholder and occupying are not the same thing.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
from a camp ground host wished every camper would think like you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Just returned from Alaska. Stayed at many BC and Yukon Provinical parks. Some had camp hosts and many did not. Overall very well kept. Stayed at many Alaska State Parks and Federal BLM and forest service parks. Especially the BLM and Forest service ones, were top notch. Everyone had a camp host were I made it my duty to thank them for such a clean park, especially the vault toilets. So clean I would eat my lunch there. Just kidding.

Back home in our state parks (Ohio) the VIP's ( Volunteers in the Parks) have their hands full after a weekend of campers. The biggest deal is some think the fire ring is where you put all your trash. Many times we arrive on a Sunday and the first thing I do is get out my small shovel and garbage bag and clean out the fire ring. I always make it a point to leave my campsite cleaner than I arrived. I even have one of those tweezy things to pick up small trash including butts.
rogerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #41

Our first three volunteering positions were as camphosts those were enought for us. We got tired of mondays cleaning campsites and fire pits not to mention shower houses. Not the way we want to spend our retirement..

It is a minority of the campers but still not worth it for a free campsite.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Aggie Dad:

Thanks for the information I'm a year from beginning my full time adventure. I can imagine a time when just relaxing will be too relaxing. Does the lack of respect for other campers ever bug you? Do you ever speak up when you see someone trashing a place? Do you ever have to clean the bathrooms?
kevinpvb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground