Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
For one after you sanitize the system I for sure would not fill the fresh water tank again. When sitting anywhere for a while I totally empty the fresh water tank while hooke-up to city or well water. When we get ready took leave I'll put. In just what I think we will use for the time we may be on the road. We never use water from the. Onboard tank for drinking anyway. We always carry bottle water for that. Good luck I hope you get rid of the smell.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm I had not thought about doing this. Wouldn't leaving the tank empty or even partially filled make it easier for bacteria growth?

I drained the tank today and added bleach to the line and filter as suggested. I now have a bleach smell and the bad smell is not present. I am going to let the tank sit overnight and drain the tank again tomorrow. Hooked up to city water at the moment so I hope this helps. The city water here does not taste bad.

I have an Aqua Hot heater and as I understand it the heater element does not touch the water but heats a fluid that heats the water. So unless I am confused I don't think the water heater is to blame.

Thanks for everyone's help.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We were taught to drive with our on board water near empty to save weight (8 pounds per gallon) and then fill on arrival at destination. The only time We drive with it full is when we are going to dry camp. Even then if I know of a place where I can fill near our camp area I will wait until I do it then. As for the bleach I totally agree. It is the best way I have found to keep the system clean.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #17

Just one more thought - - I also had this happen and after sanitizing three times I found that the plumbing lines for a washer/dryer had stagnated. One more sanitize operation while flushing these lines also cured the problem. (the washer/dryer wasn't installed on my unit and those lines didn't occur to me)

Have anice day - Darrel
Old 08-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel View Post
Just one more thought - - I also had this happen and after sanitizing three times I found that the plumbing lines for a washer/dryer had stagnated. One more sanitize operation while flushing these lines also cured the problem. (the washer/dryer wasn't installed on my unit and those lines didn't occur to me)

Have anice day - Darrel
I forgot about those. My washer/dryer was removed also. I have the drain capped off but I guess I need to find a way to run water from these lines from time to time to prevent this from happening. Thanks for the information.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #19

Is a 2010, I don't know how long you have owned it but it sounds like you have never sanitized the water system yuck. I would flush and bleach the !!!! Out of it including the hot water heater. Putting bleach into a water tank should be really simple most RV's have a little door on the side that goes straight to the tank. If it doesn't pour the bleach into your hose then hook it up.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #20

Pool shock powder has less smell and easier to use and store.

Place a few spoon fulls in hose at cg connection end and let it go.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
A cup of bleach to 15 gallons of water is WAY TOO MUCH bleach. You will be forever getting the bleach smell and taste out.

Yea, I just learned that the hard way.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
However, if you have a Suburban water heater, I think it would be prudent to test the hot water first. I would draw a glass of cold water from the bath. Then in the kitchen, draw a glass of hot water, then compare the smell of both outside.

Of course if you have an Atwood
LOL, I don't think Suburban vs Atwood is relevant. Either one can get the smelly microbes that thrive in warm water that gets no sunlight. I've encountered that problem a couple times in 20 years of RVing and never owned a Suburban heater.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #23

Use a different approach to cleaning and sanitizing your water tank. This method removes algae and/or slime a simple bleach treatment cannot/will not: Sanitizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
For one after you sanitize the system I for sure would not fill the fresh water tank again. When sitting anywhere for a while I totally empty the fresh water tank while hooke-up to city or well water. When we get ready took leave I'll put. In just what I think we will use for the time we may be on the road. We never use water from the. Onboard tank for drinking anyway. We always carry bottle water for that. Good luck I hope you get rid of the smell.
Not totally you don't. There is a distance between the tank drain and tank floor unless you have an outlet in the tank floor. This contains water even after you have "drained" the tank. Plenty of room for nasties to grow and multiply. See link above to correct.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Pool shock powder has less smell and easier to use and store.

Place a few spoon fulls in hose at cg connection end and let it go.
The recipe is 1 tsp per 100G. How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System
Also, most people overdose with bleach. This EPA pdf has the correct mixture:http://ndep.nv.gov/bsdw/docs/disinfe...king_water.pdf
BE ADVISED_ powdered (80%) chlorine (Sodium Dichlor) is dangerous if not handled properly. It is what I've used for the past 9 years, I bought one pound, and still have about half remaining.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #25

We only use the fresh water in the MH holding tanks for the bathroom and washing dishes/showers ect. For drinking water we carry bottled water. I'm sure we could use the water for drinking if we wanted to as it always smell fresh, but just to be safe we use bottled water.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, odor, water