Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #1

Oh Yes I Did

OK - So I decided to see if I could do it and I did. I had bought my F250 Diesel NEW, towed it from East to West coast twice. Drove it 7500 miles.

Sold it to a different Ford dealer for $7500 more than I paid. Feel free to call me a liar. I probably would. Second dealer almost paid sticker and then priced it above new sticker on his lot!

Yep chips are in that short of supply.

So then methinks "I wonder if me RV is worth more than I paid?" I mean at the end of the day these things are just toys/machines right?

So I advertise it on RV Trader and sell it in less than a week and half for $16K more than I paid. Now I did put tires on the RV ($3K) and Heat Pumps ($3K) and I paid to store it indoors. Still I am as happy as a clam.

I mean both of these things are suppose to depreciate like rocks falling out of a plane right? This economy is krazee!

Now do I want to look at 2022's???? Maybe wait for 2023??? The industry will slow down at some point!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #2

Apparently you are on a roll.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The whole country has gone nuts!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The whole country has gone nuts!
Not only yours. It is the same here north of the border.
Many house prices have jumped by $100-150k just here in Nova Scotia.

Building materials. A treated 8' 2x4" was selling for $15. Not to me it wasn't.

There are some signs of lumber etc coming down in price.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:46 PM   #5

This is the craziest time I have ever seen. I can't say exactly what's missing but WalMarts seem not quite full of merchandise.

The idea of a dealer putting a 2 year old truck on their lot for more than the original sticker has my head spinning.

I like the "tub'o towels" and I noticed they went up about $2 a bottle. Doesn't sound like much but its about 20% and you cant find them at most stores.

I think we are a full year away from getting things straightened out. If chases continue to spike maybe longer.

I managed to make it through that rant without any political leaning!
Old 08-09-2021, 05:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
OK - So I decided to see if I could do it and I did. I had bought my F250 Diesel NEW, towed it from East to West coast twice. Drove it 7500 miles.

Sold it to a different Ford dealer for $7500 more than I paid. Feel free to call me a liar. I probably would. Second dealer almost paid sticker and then priced it above new sticker on his lot!

Yep chips are in that short of supply.

So then methinks "I wonder if me RV is worth more than I paid?" I mean at the end of the day these things are just toys/machines right?

So I advertise it on RV Trader and sell it in less than a week and half for $16K more than I paid. Now I did put tires on the RV ($3K) and Heat Pumps ($3K) and I paid to store it indoors. Still I am as happy as a clam.

I mean both of these things are suppose to depreciate like rocks falling out of a plane right? This economy is krazee!

Now do I want to look at 2022's???? Maybe wait for 2023??? The industry will slow down at some point!
I could do the same thing, but why would I?

I have a 2021 model year truck and 5er that I could sell for ore than I paid for them.

The memories I have made this year are worth more than the $. And that doesn't even count the Future Value of the memories I will be making the rest of the year.

As far as 2023 ... unlike others, I don't see a price cliff (on RVs) and the taper is more likely in 2024 and beyond.

Opinions!

(I will confess I sold my TT in late 2020 for more than I bought it for but jumped in to the 2021 5er over the slow winter months. THAT was a deal. Don't think I could do another one of those right now)
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
I could do the same thing, but why would I?

I have a 2021 model year truck and 5er that I could sell for ore than I paid for them.

The memories I have made this year are worth more than the $. And that doesn't even count the Future Value of the memories I will be making the rest of the year.

As far as 2023 ... unlike others, I don't see a price cliff (on RVs) and the taper is more likely in 2024 and beyond.

Opinions!

(I will confess I sold my TT in late 2020 for more than I bought it for but jumped in to the 2021 5er over the slow winter months. THAT was a deal. Don't think I could do another one of those right now)
I couldn't agree with you more. What I neglected to say was that independent of the money my family had decided to take a break. Hence my comment about the 2023's. I cant stop looking at RV's.

Yes if you are using then by all means it is silly to sell. Our timing happened that we finished up a 3 week trip and the family wanted to do Europe next year. It's not often you can sell for this type of price so I took it.

We are working stiffs so the Rv sits a lot. I dont see me done with Rving - just on a break.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more. What I neglected to say was that independent of the money my family had decided to take a break. Hence my comment about the 2023's. I cant stop looking at RV's.
Makes some sense, you may be able to time the market!

Quote:
We are working stiffs so the Rv sits a lot. I dont see me done with Rving - just on a break.
I am a working stiff too, but I am a remote working stiff. That's how the RV gets so much use! If we could not put it to use a couple times every month, things would be different. For now, we are trying hard to optimize $ per night measurements ... and succeeding!
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #9
GFC

I'm certainly not gonna call you a liar because we just did the same thing with our boat. We had a Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge we bought in 2010, yup, right after the big recession in the Detroit area when NOBODY was buying toys. To make a long story short we sold it this spring in the booming economy when
EVERYONE was looking to buy toys and sold it for more than we paid for it 10 years ago.

Go figure.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Now...

That's an interesting concept...buy low, sell high...oh, crap!

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
That's an interesting concept...buy low, sell high...oh, crap!
Problem is there is more to the saying

Buy low, sell high, then have to buy higher. Not really much profit in that.

If it happens you're looking to get out of the RV lifestyle right now then things are good. If not, then not so much.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Problem is there is more to the saying

Buy low, sell high, then have to buy higher. Not really much profit in that.

If it happens you're looking to get out of the RV lifestyle right now then things are good. If not, then not so much.
Yep - I totally agree with you. We were ready to take a few years break so for working stiffs like us we were better off selling and rebuying IMO.

Now if you are using it by all means keep it! I was not posting this as a correct thing to do for everyone.

These are crazy times and I wanted to take advantage of it while I could. I see a lot of RV's in yards that look like they haven't moved in years. IMO, that is a waste of resources. Especially if you can sell it and let someone else get good use out of it.

My post definitely isn't meant as suggesting anyone else should do the same. Just that generally you could never sell anything like this for more than you paid for it!!!
Old 08-17-2021, 10:33 AM   #13

1929?as my dad told me it was booming and over nite is wasn't booming anymore > He was 27 yrs old and lost everything he had! which was not very much to start with but it was all he had ! Just saying !!!.
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
1929?as my dad told me it was booming and over nite is wasn't booming anymore > He was 27 yrs old and lost everything he had! which was not very much to start with but it was all he had ! Just saying !!!.
I am interested in your warning but not sure I understand?

Do you mean people should hold onto their possessions because they may not be able to replace them?