Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2021, 09:18 PM   #1

Oil Change and .......

Did a oil change on my CAT C9 for the first time and had some fun getting the filter off. After the filter wrench broke I got out a long screwdriver.

and...... Make sure you do a filter inspection by taking it apart and looking for metal in the pleats. Here is mine, looks great!

Did you notice this is a cheap filter as many of the pleats are bunched up. Got a CAT OEM to replace this cheap Baldwin filter.

BTW if I ever buy another RV I will be doing this filter inspection too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210106_103834.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	313688   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210106_114341.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	313689  

Name:	20210106_195218.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	444.1 KB
ID:	313690  
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2021, 09:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Did a oil change on my CAT C9 for the first time and had some fun getting the filter off. After the filter wrench broke I got out a long screwdriver.

and...... Make sure you do a filter inspection by taking it apart and looking for metal in the pleats. Here is mine, looks great!

Did you notice this is a cheap filter as many of the pleats are bunched up. Got a CAT OEM to replace this cheap Baldwin filter.

BTW if I ever buy another RV I will be doing this filter inspection too.
Saw a nice big oil drain pan at Napa today. 58 qt.has wheels and a drain spout. $85. Iíll probably pick one up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1FD0D98A-5823-4248-824E-13A56F233AA7.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	313691  
Old 01-06-2021, 09:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Saw a nice big oil drain pan at Napa today.Had to be at least 10 gal, has wheels and a drain spout. Iíll probably pick one up.
That is what I used, the only thing to hold 35 quarts.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:54 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Get a filter wrench like this.,no more screwdriver. The band is wide enough to get a good grip on any filter and you use a extension and ratchet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Filter Wrench.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	313692  
Old 01-06-2021, 09:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Get a filter wrench like this.,no more screwdriver. The band is wide enough to get a good grip on any filter and you use a extension and ratchet
I use those too. My filter is so nicely snuggled up in the middle of a bunch of stuff that I canít get any other filter wrench on it, much less a good olí hammer and screw driver.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:30 AM   #6
IC2

FWIW, Baldwin oil and air filters are a very good US made filter company, owned by Parker Hannifin and mostly make filters for heavy duty applications and seldom cheap. Here is a comparison vs a NAPA/Wix:https://www.fleetfilter.com/comparis...LD-filter.html
Old 01-07-2021, 06:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Did you notice this is a cheap filter as many of the pleats are bunched up.
More filtering area.

I bought some for my Dodge 2500 Cummins because of good reviews.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Saw a nice big oil drain pan at Napa today. 58 qt.has wheels and a drain spout. $85. Iíll probably pick one up.
Wait... $85 for a blow molded plastic tub container... yeah no. That cost them less than $10 to make.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
FWIW, Baldwin oil and air filters are a very good US made filter company, owned by Parker Hannifin and mostly make filters for heavy duty applications and seldom cheap. Here is a comparison vs a NAPA/Wix:https://www.fleetfilter.com/comparis...LD-filter.html
Oil in Diesel engines needs to be cleaner because the oil is used to operate the injectors in some models so a filter needs to be really good.

My CAT engine uses this huge filter and this Baldwin model is not comparable to the CAT OEM filter. Here is a short video showing differences.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
IC2

Quote:
Oil in Diesel engines needs to be cleaner because the oil is used to operate the injectors in some models so a filter needs to be really good.

My CAT engine uses this huge filter and this Baldwin model is not comparable to the CAT OEM filter. Here is a short video showing differences.

I have no problem with a CAT filter, only said that a Baldwin is a decent US made filter. I, too use an OE brand filter on my Ford for much the same reason as you do on yours though a Baldwin or NAPA/WIX extreme line would work too if the Motorcraft wasn't available.

I would like to see a real comparative analysis of oil filters, not a video by someone with a prejudice - and there are several on You Tube.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:34 AM   #11

Well I worked for Cat for 40 years with the last 20 of those years doing hydraulic designs on mining machines. Yes, we would specify Cat Filters to be used in all applications on these machines.

You do also realize that Caterpillar dose not manufacture their filters. They are made by other filter manufactures such as Donelson, Park-Hannifin and others to Caterpillar design specifications.

We also knew some users would not buy Cat filters and would source filters from other sources. So, our filter team would recommend the following statement as to what filters could be used. The filter had to met the filtration requirements of the Cat filter and provide the proper flow thru the filter along with the proper by-pass requirements of the Cat Filter. Which Baldwin, Donelson and Parker-Hannifin and other filters did met.

I have seen bunch pleats on Cat, Fleetguard and other filters that I have inspected also.

Just saying
Old 01-07-2021, 08:43 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
Wait... $85 for a blow molded plastic tub container... yeah no. That cost them less than $10 to make.
Yeah there’s smaller ones that are cheaper and I don’t need 58 qt capacity, but right now I’m using 5 gal buckets but I don’t like jacking the thing up that high. Makes me nervous seeing the rear end hanging from the air bags and I’ve read about air bag failures due to this. So $85 might be cheap.....

This one would do nicely for my little ISB but I’m still considering something with ‘07 emissions and more displacement, so....:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	478CEA28-A434-417E-9CA7-A7FA0F29579A.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	469.0 KB
ID:	313733  
Old 01-07-2021, 12:51 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Forget the drain pans, too much work and there will always be spillage while transferring the oil. Just buy the Fumoto valve for the drain plug. I slide old DEF containers or previously used 2.5 gallon oil containers under the Fumoto valve, open and fill the container. Swap out a another container when the first one is full. I take the containers to the local auto parts store, set at their counter and I'm done......no drain pans to deal with!!

For those who say they're afraid of the valve being struck...I've been running one for over 15 years and 100K miles on three different Cummins ISL/L9 engines.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
That's the kind of wrench I need as the coolant filter is sandwitched in such a tight spot on my ISL 400 that there is no room on the sides for a regular wrench.
However, the coolant filter WF2071 is 3.69" dia and the smallest that style wrench I've found goes from 3 3/4" - 4 1/2".
Does anybody have a source where I could find a slightly smaller one?

Or does anybody use something like "GEARWRENCH 3/8" Drive Universal 3 Jaw Oil Filter Wrench - 3288D" and how durable they may be?
https://www.amazon.com/Tools-3288-Un...%2C179&sr=8-17