Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2005, 12:05 PM   #1

I've done the search on converting your cable connection to be able to accept a satellite connection. I printed out all the pages and I'm still confused.

It seems to me that everything that I've read to fix this will only affect the bedroom tv (where the booster is) and not the living room tv.

I know I'm doing something wrong (primarily because it ain't working )so, I 'm asking for the directions in plain English. Something that would be easy for someone that doesn't know squat about it to understand.

Help.

2006 Chevy HD Crew Cab
BrownSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2005, 12:05 PM   #2

I've done the search on converting your cable connection to be able to accept a satellite connection. I printed out all the pages and I'm still confused.

It seems to me that everything that I've read to fix this will only affect the bedroom tv (where the booster is) and not the living room tv.

I know I'm doing something wrong (primarily because it ain't working )so, I 'm asking for the directions in plain English. Something that would be easy for someone that doesn't know squat about it to understand.

Help.

2006 Chevy HD Crew Cab
BrownSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #3

Simple answer: What you need to make Satellite TV work in an RV is a straight antenna connection from the back of the SAT receiver to the SAT antenna. It's OK to have splices, wall disconnects, extension cables, etc, but no amplifiers, splitters, "T's", or anything inline. How you accomplish this is dependent on how your RV is wired. As an experiment to get it working, simply connect a piece of coax from the SAT antenna connection on the back of the SAT reciever to your SAT antenna w/o using any of the coax in the RV. Once you get that to work, then accomplish the same thing using the RV wiring. Hope that helps.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:40 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Check your local rv parts store. I found an after market replacement wall plate/booster which has a built in splitter gizmo to accomodate a dish being plugged in to the rigs outside cable connector. I think it is marketed by Winegard.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:21 PM   #5

HOVERBUG: Does this gizmo replace the booster, or is it just a plate that goes on in place of the one the RV came with?
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:05 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Homer, it replaces the existing wall plate. I am going to the our part store today (Pioneer RV) and see if I can get a part number. I'll post back when I get more info.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:25 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, here's what I found. It's a Winegard plate part # RV-7542. Look at http://www.winegard.com/mobile/wppowersupps.htm
Or contact Winegard @ 800-288-8094.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #8

Hoverbug: Thanks very much for info. I am going to look into this as possible solution to PIA problem right now. Thanks again. Great folks here.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #9

Maybe this will help.

The LNB, or thing on the dish, requires electricity to work. A regular splitter will not "pass" this voltage, or allow it to go in one side and come out the other. That's why your setup won't work. Somehow, you need a strait line from your disk to the receiver. I've seen flat coax cables made to go out a window and still let it close.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I work for a cable company and have worked on MH and trailers. I have found from working on the cable in RV's, That most go from the connection outside to the bedroom outlet with a splitter in the wall to the front TV. ( fifth wheels and trailers can be different . The cable runs from the outside to the closest TV then the other.)
Your Satellite dish receives power from the receiver. If the receiver is in the front and you have a regular splitter in the bedroom it wont work. Simply replace the splitter with a power passing splitter watching which cable is which and where the receiver is. The splitter will have a arrow on it to show how power flows through it. Please feel free to e-mail me and I will help you out.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:39 AM   #11

I solved it by running a dedicated line from a "Satellite" exterior plug to an interior one at the main TV set. As we rarely watch the B/R TV, that works fine. I then hook up the Antenna/Cable feed to the "ANT" receptacle on the Sat Reciever and we get all three feed, Cable, ant and sat on the main set, just have to power down the sat reciever for cable or ant.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote