Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #1

Ok So you get an RV where was your first trip to..

Ok.. I am newbie kind of sort of.. We just got the RV and are thinking about our first trip. Do we do a local trip to make sure all systems are go. Or do we take a 1000 mile trip to be christened by fire... What was your first trip. Hey does the drive way count... It has to be a sleep over. And PS I did win money in the mega millions tonight. I got $7.00 closer to my retirement...
bassoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
We took our first 5er out for a weekend trip, about 3 hours from home. Nothing fancy and reserved a pullthru for security. Have a great trip where ever you go.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:37 AM   #3

We decided to make sure that if things started going south with the RV we wanted to be someplace enjoyable to offset any malfunctions. As it turned out it was great, we were hooked, and haven't had a bad trip yet(knock on wood).

Safe travels

Richard

Neko & Nilla
rbracing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:48 AM   #4

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
we went 45 minutes from home. Newbies in every sense of the word bu armed with lots of information from iRV2.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We actually had several first trips.

1. Just the MH - we drove about 200 miles to camp in a friend's driveway. Our goal was simply to learn how it handled and not have to worry about anything else. If had problems, we had lots of options. The only problem was that the dash heater didn't work and we learned that we could drive with the a furnace on. The problem was a bad thermostat in the engine.

2. MH and toad - we drove about an hour an a half and camped in a State park. The goal was simply to get used to hooking and hooking the toad and handling it in traffic. We had practiced with the toad in a mall parking lot but making turns on small roads is different.

3. First trip with passengers. We were planning a 5 day, 3,000 mile trip with 5 adults later so we did a dry run by driving 500 miles with 4 adults and baby, staying 3 nights. We wanted to figure out how best to have everyone seated and how difficult it would be on a longer trip

After that, we took off on a 12 day, several thousand mile trip to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, etc. As a result of our previous experiences, driver's mirror breaking the first day didn't deter us. Only only real problem that we had on that trip was dealing with the heavy, gusty cross winds on I-40 in NM. Nothing will prepare you for that.

As you can tell, we don't believe in "diving into the deep end of the pool" as a starting point. I guess it all comes down to how well you can handle adversity. We had done rental RVs and on each trip that we did, the rental broke down. That gave us a sense of the patience is often needed in difficult situations.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #6

Two weeks after I bought it, I drove it across Canada, a total of 5,000 miles.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoneman View Post
Ok.. I am newbie kind of sort of.. We just got the RV and are thinking about our first trip. Do we do a local trip to make sure all systems are go. Or do we take a 1000 mile trip to be christened by fire... What was your first trip. Hey does the drive way count... It has to be a sleep over. And PS I did win money in the mega millions tonight. I got $7.00 closer to my retirement...

We pulled our 5er into a campsite almost next door to the dealer when we bought it. We had it not quite a month when we hauled it 2 hours away. Then we waited almost another month & hauled HOWie from Manitoba to Vancouver Island where we currently live. We decided that we would do small trial runs, that way if something went wrong we were right there to get it fixed. Worked for us. Safe travels, this is a wonderful site with lots of info. Cheerio, Jeannine & Joe
Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
My 2 cents.

We took our first trip close to home in order to familiarize ourselves with the coach systems. When we bought the coach we have now we did the same. We did get some surprises and because we were close to home had time to work things out. If you do a shakedown close to home, prior to your first big trip one of the advantages will be that you will have time to ask questions on the forum and get answers without being under a lot of pressure.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #9

First trip was an overnight stay in the driveway! Second was to a local state park - 5 miles away from the driveway. After that, we've never looked back....
Old 03-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We did a couple local (20-30mi.) trips to get the feel of it and learn the basic's. Then took it to a mechanic who also works on MH's. Had everything checked,lubed,greased,filters change,belt's replaced and headed to Dothan AL. Cost about $400+, but worth the piece of mind. Yes I did check most before buying the C. After the first summer we sold to a younger couple and bought an A. Love the view.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We did a shakedown within 30 mins from home. We then did 1200 mile trip.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoneman View Post
My first trip was a week long stay in my driveway. I figured I'd try to live in it without going to the house for anything, and this would a) familiarize me with the RV systems and b) highlight anything I needed that I didn't think of initially.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I like the idea of an overnight stay in the driveway! I'm planning on going to a state park about 10 miles away for our trial.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We went 10 miles down the road for our first trip. From then on we went wherever we felt like going. Good luck, have fun and drive safe.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote