Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Oh yeah.....remember that old original power steering, before they made it proportional?
It was very easy to oversteer. Er....at least that's what my grampa said.
I know we're off topic a little bit but it's kind of fun.

Unlike old European cars designed for handling, old US cars were designed to be comfy sofas floating down the road. Narrow wheel base, huge overhang in each corner.
Classic, Big, Powerful, U.S. Automobile Luxury & Comfort Vehicles

If you were brought up driving around in these big ol' monster cars. Then learned to drive the monsters. You simply learned how to handle monster cars! They become a part of your knowledge fabric. The monsters can enable the "experienced" driver a huge amount of road "huggability"... as long as tires/brakes/shocks/front end parts/rear sway bar/tune-up and other mechanical items are kept in best condition.

My entire young years were experiencing dad/mom/uncles/aunts/grandfolks driving 1940, 50 and 60's monster cars. Most of my life thereafter I've driven monster cars. Especially... powerful engined monster cars have been my general choice.

That said: We keep econo car/suv on hand these days. My last and only perfect condition classic monster car [1967 Buick Wildcat] is used seldom. She's only allowed 3K +/- Sunday-driver miles per year!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #128

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I remember our great car- a '51 Buick Dynaflow with a straight 8. Talk about a floater...
Old 12-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #129

I thought this topic is supposed to be about RVs; not cars.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #130

bought a 2000 southwind 36z. upgraded the suspension, supersteer, koni and airbags. led lighting all the way around. new tv's auto sat dish, xm radio and gps. replaced a couch with theater seating. built a custom tv stand. color rearview camera with hd monitor. texas to cali twice a year. wouldnt sell it. all in around 40k.
Gary culver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #131

I sort of look at older higher end DP's, as being the same as older homes.

Older higher end DP's, typically came with higher quality chassis and running gear, and many times better components, and always with better quality solid wood 'craftsman' like cabinetry.

Older homes, if built properly, have solid foundations, and typically better quality wood framing and other attributes that make them, well 'classic' like homes.

So a top quality upper tier DP with a superior chassis, are like and older home with solid foundation and 'good bones'. I feel they are worthy of remodeling and upgrading - to want a current owner would like.

Engines and transmissions and other chassis components, can be refurbished when needed. (But on the engine, many of these in the years talked about, are true 1 million mile engines. Sure, they will need maintenance and supporting components replacement of parts along the way... But certainly a good engine properly taken care of, should get you into the 500K mile range before requiring major rebuilds. (Some exceptions, ISX comes to mind as needing more expensive preventative maintenance. But engines like the C-12, C-13, ISM, DD60's - are long running and powerful engines.)

So someone looking for a coach t use for 10-15 years ahead - might be better off in the long run buying a 'solid and well cared for' top tier coach from the era the OP mentioned. Finding one in the $50-125K range. Invest another $75-125K into going thru everything and updating and remodeling and painting and say Active Air - to what the specific owner wants. And for a range of $125-250K - would have a coach that should 'classically and safely and economically' give them a solid 10-15 years of future usage. Compare that to some of the say 5 years old upper tier coaches costing $300-400K... And well you're money ahead, and lower insurance, and in some states lower DMV fees, and lower Sales Taxes, etc., etc...

And their is nothing wrong with either choice, some people move from a home, vs remodeling a home - as they just don't want to be bothered with the effort, and or research and work required, in upgrading a current home. Others, do their own thing, or help the local economy and invest big money into major home renovations.

Same can be said for RV's too... No right or wrong, just choices. And the right of all of us to make our own decisions. (Heck, last time I did a update of our costs on our coaches upgrades, solar systems, batteries, cabinet modifications, etc. - we've added another ~$60K into our towards the bottom of the top tier quality coaches. (Sure, some would place an 04 Allure towards the upper side of the mid tier coaches - again, opinions vary!).

And you know, we're at this very time doing some 'what if' planning. Put another $40-60K into our current coach, or sell it and move into a same relative era Magna/Affinity/Newmar/Foretravel - and put that kind of money into a higher tier coach... So I'm more into going for olde top quality, then newer... with IMO, somewhat lower quality construction top tier coaches for several hundred thousand more then we'd spend staying older...

Best to all, and good luck with your choices. And I do respect all views this!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:15 AM   #132

Smitty 77 said it best...
We decided to go with an older higher end unit knowing that updates and maintenance would be involved...
Finding one with "good bones" and documented maintenance is not really that difficult...
Many of the higher end units have had meticulous care and service records...
Some do not...
Another concerning issue with me is that a lot of new units have QC issues...
Even the higher end brands...
And I am not brand bashing...
They all have issues from time to time...
These are complicated machines and the QC involved in producing a unit has so many different variables from the assembly line to the supply chain...
Many horror stories of issues with new units...
So IMHO it's actually better to get a used unit that has had it's initial issues attended to and find one with documented maintenance and service records...
But...
If you want to go new that is OK by me...
To me the depreciation hit is so extreme with new RV's it's a hard pill to swallow...
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:35 AM   #133

Smitty 77 said it best... x 2

my 2000 cat 3406e has 132 k miles on it and should be good for as long as I own it and the next guy . total investment in the coach to bring it up to today's more modern interior was not that much at 12-15 k in total + the 75 k I paid for it . I best part is the power ( no more down shifts on the hills) and all the high end build of the coach

awesome coach !

dave
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #134

This post's "ownership" parameters are pretty much for those who are new to RVing [or, for that matter, any other fun-time toy they may decide to own...]

We have a bit different "motorhome" story than some other RV owner's posts; regarding our minimal-scope RV need, desires and what/how we carefully chose it, keep it, care for it and use it.

Our RV ownership story has nothing to do with full-timing or even often repeated long-trip-time jaunts [6 or more month 10k mile runs and the like]. Ours does have to do with owning a really fun, affordable, comfortable and easily maneuverable RV that remains available for us [on our property] to at any time go out for long weekends and the occasional multi week trip of a thousand +/- miles.

We are a multi "enjoyment-toy" family. E.g. three boats [a 36' 1977 Tollycraft tri cabin fully self contained coastal or inner canal cruiser, other two boats are 15' and 19 ' for tow behind the Tolly and for ski fun], a cool 1967 Buick Wildcat Luxo-Muscle-Car [Sunday driver], 3 bedroom beach house [when we can find time to be there] and a nice 1996 Tiffin Allegro 25T RV [for fun when we feel like it]. While I run three businesses. Loven life!

Soooo... Here's the story regarding our choice of RV:

1. Purchase an RV that meets your requirements for what you will actually use it for. Before purchase really think over what you see yourself doing with the RV for the next 5 to 10 years. Dig deep on this; as it will affect/guide what size and scope of RV you spend time looking for as well as eventually buying. If you're not going to be full-timers, take into account your RV's storage [space] when not using it... this is physically important to wellbeing of your RV and could become a costly ongoing factor.

2. Know the RV market. Understand the nuances of different RV manufacturers' quality control and history of how well different brand RV's last. Review motors' and transmissions' durability and other mechanical portions lastability/usage factors. In other words - do your homework. You can study all-about nearly anything on google

3. Depending on the thickness of your pur$e or wallet - buy within you means. Don't straddle yourself with payments or even a one time expenditure that straps you off from at least somewhat easily accomplishing other life needs/desires.

4. Ask All Your Questions!!! RV forums' threads and "search" features are filled with RVers' input that know the ins and outs of just about every RV/motorhome, travel trailer or 5th wheeler item that ever occurred.

5. Seek and you shall find! Once you feel you have accomplished ample deep introspect for what you will require of your RV, and, that through homework preparation you have learned enough about RV's to well equip yourselves to purchase... Then go locate the correct RV for you!

6. Once RV ownership is accomplished: I recommend taking very good care of your RV [as should be done with any "toy"]. Continued "care" will make your RV "life" consistently easier and more fun than if you let the RV slowly fall into rack and ruin. Also - When time for you to sell eventually arrives the process of sale should go along well and the price you get should be at the higher level.

7. HAVE A BLAST! Enjoy the heck out of your well chosen and cared for RV!!

Art and Linda
Old 01-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #135

Old Timers, people & Coaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I sort of look at older higher end DP's, as being the same as older homes.

Smitty
Apologies for deletion of a portion of your original post.

I am totally in agreement with your philosophy. Please let me add that many folks cannot do what apparently we love doing. This may be to lack of skills, understanding or simply wanting the "latest most expensive toy".

In my case I have over the years developed the notion that anything that is mass produced is a compromise product reduced to the lowest common denominator and quality.

If I install a refrigerator, I get to select the brand, size, features that I like, need want. Not what a marketing group thinks will appeal to the most.

A friend owes an old Greyhound MCI coach. In the twenty plus years he has owned it, its on its third total interior rebuild. The original engine, a Detroit Diesel, was overhauled at a million miles then removed sold at about 200,000 miles for a horsepower upgrade. Seems he is spending more time in the mountains and would like the additional power for climbing.

In all of the years he has never had unscheduled mechanical maintenance.

On and on, the story goes. The ending is do what you want, get what you want, don't compromise.

BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote