Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Old versus New

Class A, Class C, Fifth wheel all require maintained cosmetic and mechanical the older the rig the more intense the work if your able to do the work there can be profit to be made on a sale or upgrade
I sold my 38ft. Jaco designer 5th wheel an went back to my 3rd Class A 40ft 2001 Spartan American dream motor coach Cummings isc350hp with 48k on the clock, finding the model you want is half the work picked it up for 36k asking price was 55k in the winter months. (I looked at 7 of these before this purchase).
Come spring 2020 my 1st assessment was to change 20yr old air bags and shocks Trans fluid filter change oil change. Blow air tanks and replace air dryer flush radiator and filter. While doing work one day I gota no start,,and you have to love it when it happens in your driveway study this RV site I LOVE on isc no start.
Purchased a Fass pump and bypassed the Cummings lift pump got a faster start up !!! New intake filter and open exhaust muffler big plus……… OK back to work
Check brakes, check suspension going to need some attention but not just yet, big plus new tires Toyo,
Maintain Genset oil chg. and radiator flush, change fuel filter clean exhaust.
Prier owner must of run up onto a large rock fuel tank leak,, drain an seal ,, one more leak bottom of windshield water wicking up into metal glass frame remove sealer an reseal these coaches are notorious for this rot, little more maint rebuild Battery box with all new power an rock solid connections ck charging ability genset and shore power.
I did find the motor conceal panel under the bed to have a ¾ gap on one side 5ft long from a factory scrue up with no operational carbon monoxide detectors, Repaired.
Replace old faucets and Fix any under sink leaks no time to ck washer and dryer yet
My list about done, got a honey do list to tear out carpet replace with acacia hard wood entry steps an living room went well looks like a million bucks best upgrade to date,, replace old TVs with flat screens and plan a much needed trip.

On the flip side have a friend with a brand new gas Winnebago cost 260 thousand 10 yrs of pmts. they had it in for warrantee repair for three weeks, the good is little maintance and you dont have to do the work yourself the bad is you lose money from depreciating RV.

Whatever you do take time to enjoy your family the memories last forever
1qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 06:22 AM   #2

Sounds cool!
How 'bout a couple pics?
Old 09-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Added benefit of an older coach is that they are simpler in design both mechanically and electrically.

Wife's friend purchased a new Thor Outlaw last year. They've had it in for warranty work multiple times. She came to visit earlier this year and backed over something and when she pulled forward something popped up and caught her tail light wiring harness. The harness was haphazardly zip tied up underneath, sticking down in several locations. The wiring going to both reverse lights was way too tight, no slack at all, and both pulled loose causing the lights to short out and blowing a fuse. This also controlled the backup and side cameras. Friend tried to get Coachnet to come and fix, no go. I ended up fixing but took me several hours to find the fuse panel, after a call to Thor tech support. Nothing was labeled, finally fount the bad fuses. Finally got it fixed after ~6 hours. And yes, I redid how the wiring harness was tied up,
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:14 AM   #4

There are advantages to new and old but we prefer older coaches that have been well maintained that have incurred the bulk of their depreciation and have been through that shake out period where newer technology or, chassis changes, have been addressed by the previous owner. But owning an older coach, like you point out in your post, comes with a higher level of replacement of worn out components that can be costly if you are not able to perform on your own. An older coach is not for everyone and, there is always a gamble whether your buy old or new models, that you end up with the one coach that has more problems than is reflective of the population as a whole.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #5

I am not a mechanic but have a great trust worthy 25+ year relationship with one. I bought a travel trailer that I mostly can maintain myself. I will pay someone to do wheel bearings and brakes. I can deal with electrical, plumbing and appliances. I can take my GMC2500HD to my regular shop where I know I won't get ripped off.

Hats off to those who can do it all themselves. You can save a lot of money but need to be prepared for any issues that come up.

I also feel safer riding in a passenger truck verses a motorhome. My trailer is only 23.5 feet long so I am not worried about the tail wagging the dog.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #6

We could never buy a new motorhome these days. We don't need all that technology, more slideouts and glitz. Just more to go wrong. Plus, we would not pay what they're asking nowadays!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjavelin View Post
Sounds cool!
How 'bout a couple pics?
hope this IMG_0213.jpgworks IMG_0212.jphphone pics 103.jpgone pics 082.jpgpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	689.9 KB