RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #1

Older rvs in campgrounds

We're thinking of purchasing an 04 to 07 class a diesel.

How much of a problem might it be when getting into campgrounds because of it's age?

Should this be a big consideration for us when purchasing an older unit?

Thanks for any replies.

kongmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #2

Many private grounds have a year limit.
I guess you could call ahead.

mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rarely will you find a campground that will limit you on age. There may be some private high end motor coach parks that limit the type coach and year. We've camped all over the southwest and three coast to coast trips and never ran across a park that had a limit. If they did, they asked for a photo of the older coach.

Now many on here will fly off the handle and tell you that they'll never stay in a park like that, without thinking through the reason as to why it's done. It's to prevent rolling meth labs from taking up residence in an RV park. Many states, force campground owners to go through the eviction process if someone refuses to leave. That can take months, so the private campgrounds try to protect themselves.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #4

I have been from coast to coast three times with my 2004 class A and have never been denied at a campground. That may not be the case at some higher end resorts but KOA, Goodsam, and similar family campgrounds should be no problem. Like Don stated above, if your MH has a well kept appearance you will be fine.
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #5

I agree with Don above. I have an older [2009] MH and have never been asked about age but the unit looks new. If you keep your unit up and repaired and it looks good I don't believe you will have any problems. I would rather have the camp ground be a little fussy than a drug dealer in next site. JMTC
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I have been from coast to coast three times with my 2004 class A and have never been denied at a campground. That may not be the case at some higher end resorts but KOA, Goodsam, and similar family campgrounds should be no problem. Like Don stated above, if your MH has a well kept appearance you will be fine.
Tom

Was denied entrance to a KOA in Sanger TX, in 2013 because my 2002 Carriage 5th wheel was over 10yrs old. Told them it looks brand new. They didn't care, didn't even want to see a photo of its condition. Just "NO". Statement above is what we call a 'Glittering Generality'. Not always true
oldretiredafguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Upscale motorhome resorts are the ones with age limits. If you don’t want to stay at them, then it doesn’t matter. Age restrictions at other types of places are rare; we have never found them except at the motorhome resorts.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #8

Its not really the age, but more the condition.
2psnapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #9

The Resorts with their noses in the air have year limits. I have seen some 40 year old MGs that put the new ones to shame. All depends on how it looks. Look at Class Cs on the E chassis. Unless you know what to look for, no way can you tell the year.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #10

We have an '04 and have never had a problem.

ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #11

Like the others said it is generally a rare thing, I have ran into it sort of for the first time at a place where I spent a night last year. My coach is a 2002 model, and this place had a 20 year max age limit, it was also full of junky long term travel trailer tenants. The thing is a poorly maintained, cheaply built low end travel trailer that is 10+ years old can look rather junky with peeling vinyl graphics, and chalky bare fiberglass, by comparison a 10 year old diesel pusher with full body paint if even half way cared for will likely look in great shape at least from 20 feet away.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #12

It depends upon where you want to stay. State, Federal, National, and County parks will not turn anyone away or refuse anyone. You see absolutely every kind of camping equipment at these parks.

When you start shopping private campgrounds, each campground can set its own rules. Some are more lax, others are more restrictive. There really is no "standard". However, like any other business, they are subject to local, state, and federal laws. But even some of those get around that by stating they are an over 55 age campground.

Personally, the only private campgrounds we stay at are KOA and Good Sam campgrounds. They are still "private" owned, but they operate like a franchise, so they can't impose these types of restrictions.

Now, once there, every campground has it's own rules every one is expected to follow, like swimming hours in the swimming pool, and quiet hours.

We've never stayed at such a campground, public or private that had age restrictions on one's camping equipment or their age, in over 50 years of camping all over the USA.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:37 PM   #13

I really think that the 10 year limit was very well thought out

They could have simply raised prices to try to minimize the Cousin Eddie types

Most people with a junky RV won't try to camp their knowing that they won't get to after driving up

Units in good condition have never been turned away from the restrictive RV resorts we frequent

Obviously I don't know about every single case but we have had older units present each and every time we have stayed

It's all about condition and appearance as already noted

Personally I wish more camp grounds monitored this, perhaps it would encourage some to catch up on maintenance

To me it is all about the experience along with safety and the preservation of my assets

We have multiple RV fires here every year and they typically aren't in the RV's that you would be proud of

Simply facts
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:51 PM   #14

The ten year thing is more about renting seasonal it has to be newer than 10 yrs to get in.once you are in you can stay no matter how old it is.but you cant keep your site and rv looking like a hog pen.

Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, rvs