Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #71
slp

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to slp
We shall see. I’ve been to a few dealers and f53 service centers in my years...the results are mixed for sure and finger pointing is an art form...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #72

MoMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp View Post
I worked directly with Jayco on my case. They created a ticket for me after I sent them all of the details (including my video). THEN I contacted my dealer service manager and explained the situation. I placed the service manager in touch with my Jayco case manager. They worked through the details (with some pushing of course) to replace all lug bolts and lug nuts along with the wheels that were damaged.

The rig is going to the dealer on Oct 22. They needed to order parts, etc. I am told that it will take at least 4 weeks because they have to inspect the axle, brakes and other components that MAY have been damaged and then order/replace as needed.

I will update everyone once this is done, for now, I am "hearing" all the right things from Entegra/Jayco. We shall see.
Had you just had new tires installed or the wheels removed and reinstalled just before your trip?
MoMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My DIL had a semi truck tire hit her square in the grill of her Explorer three years ago at freeway speeds. It bounced over the top and didn't hit the windshield. Sure set off the airbags though. Totaled the vehicle. She still doesn't like to drive the freeways since.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #74

Many years ago I was coming down a pass on a freeway some where near Bakersfield Ca. pulling a small 5th wheel and looked out my window an seen a tire passing me. I looked in the mirror and seen a person pulling a TT moving to the side of the road. The tire was his not mine. I don't know how far the tire went and sad that I was unable to help him as by that time I was a good mile down the road.
gibbyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #75

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also many years ago, I was behind a van heading into a curved blind tunnel when his front wheel departed. Wound up having to stop behind him, just inside the blind part of the tunnel... looked in my mirror and saw a loaded dump truck/trailer combo coming right at me, fortunately, he made it by.. I don't think I ever pushed the gas pedal any harder when I had a split second break to get outta there!
SC40QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
Yes, your wheel did the right thing exiting the highway! About 2 years ago, my son was driving on I-285 (beltway around Atlanta) in heavy traffic. A rental box truck lost a rear wheel in front of him. The wheel hit 5 cars, including ours. My son said the tire was bouncing right at him but he was able to move just a bit to the right, so the tire ran down the drivers side, taking out the fender, mirror, driver door, and driver window. The officer who handled the accident stated that once the tire separates from the truck, it is "road debris" so not the truck driver's fault. But since they had witnesses to where the "road debris" came from, the rental agency - Penske - had to cover the claims.

Regards.

Chuck
So, would this "road debris" also cover a loose toad? Seems to me it would.
Racer Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #77

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slp View Post
My coach only has a single rear axle so this was the outside tire on the driver side. The inside wheel was hanging on for dear life (ours!) and did it's job admirably.

The tire did rub against the coach and left "skid marks" down the side but nothing too big. The wheel taking a leisurely stroll off the road and exiting nicely into a ditch was the best possible outcome.
I had my drivers side rear tire pass me at about 80mph in my Dodge 3500. It was on I-15 in southern Utah 2 days before Christmas. that big 35" mud terrain tire was aimed into the packed southbound lanes. It was by the grace of God that nobody was killed!

I had just had the pickup serviced and the tires rotated. I'm sure it was caused by over tightening. I still have nightmares of watching that tire pass me and head towards oncoming traffic.
BigSkyGuy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fail, lug bolts, lugs, over torqued, wheel fail