Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
What was your previous insurance?

Sorry about the lack of clarity. I switch two years ago from Progressive to AARP Hartford, and saved 50%. And the ironical thing about it was; I had two claims in the previous two years, one was a big one over $30 K. Which I did not try to hide from Hartford.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #30

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Actually $1,100 per year doesn't sound too bad for insurance on your motorhome. If you were paying half that before the increase, you were getting a great deal. If I could get coverage for $1,100 per year, I'd be happy... Guess it depends a lot on where you live?

Brian

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
That's the answer....you moved to a different zip code.

Last month our grandaughter's car insurance went up $200 a year when she moved from our house into an apartment about 5 miles from us.

She called the insurance company and they raised it based on the zip code.
Like I mentioned, this is a perfect reason why insurance companies are a big rip off to the general public. It really does not matter if you are a good driver and never make a claim to have them spend money on you, they rape you just because of where you happen to live.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #32

Insurance wouldn't be half of what it is if it weren't required or mandated.....
Anytime a government agency forces you to have something the provider of that service has free reign on your wallet !!
BCRacing24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I must be blessed! My annual premium with Progressive is $487. I hope it doesn't change much when renewal time comes in February.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Allied charges me less than Good Sam (or anyone else -- I shopped) for a 2004 Class C Itasca Spirit. Part-time use. Encourage you to shop around for a better deal. There is a lot of discussion in insurance circles these days about "price optimization" (in which insurance companies ... allegedly ... raise rates arbitrarily to see what your breaking point is on a premium before you'll walk). Many state insurance regulators have prohibited the practice, saying insurers must stick to risk-based factors. That may or may not be the case with you, but it never hurts to shop around on insurance and doing so won't impact your credit score in any way.

I endorse the idea to discuss your rate with your existing insurance company before jumping to another. And also the tactic of suggesting it isn't the only carrier you could use (I did that recently with my trash collecting company and immediately got a price reduction). At the very least, your insurance company should be able to give you the reasons for the rate increase.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire5 View Post
No, no tickets or anything else that would negatively affect our rates. That's why I'm so baffled. The only thing different is that we sold our house and are renting a house.
The fact that you moved -- and that you are a renter, rather than a homeowner -- is significant. Homeowners are typically seen a better risks and you might have been given a homeowner discount for which you are no longer entitled. That, and the change in ZIP code, could explain the reason for the increase in your premium. Also, indicating that you would be using the RV more -- either as a full-timer or just an increase in miles -- could raise rates, too.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are trying to tell you somethingl.. That something is the name of a song that was popular back.. Well let me check: 1960 (By the Miracles)

The Title: SHOP AROUND.

I would check Aeon, Nationwide (Though I do not personally care for em) Liberty Mutual. If you are old enough Hartford via AARP. If you qualify the Military insurance company (Forget it's name since I do not qualify but they advertise on TV all the time) If you can find one go with an independent agent.

((Oh my beef with nationwide is worth less than one dollar, but Well, it is the principle of the thing).
Old 12-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #37

In my expierence, I have to shop about every 3-4 years. It seems if you stay with a company too long, they take advantage and assume the yearly 10% or so increases are OK and you'll keep paying the new higher rate. In your case, like someone else mentioned, when you sold the house you likely lost the bundling credit you had when you had your H.O. and auto insurance under the same corporate roof.
minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
RV insurance

Just dropped National Interstate for Hartford thru AARP.We insured both our cars and our motor home for half what it had cost us just for the RV,and we got the same or better coverage.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I went on the AARP website this morning and signed up for insurance through the Hartford for the rv and both cars, saving a total of $1300 a year!!! You guys are the best!
Starfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, led