Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 06:10 AM   #1

Onan 7.5k gen set.

I am currently on the fence with my generator. Seems my newly purchased rig has a bad generator, long story but shop is telling me I need to replace it. Well seems even if I want to just drop $10k plus for a new one it can't be found no one has one in stock within the 50 states of this great country. And all it really needs is to have the engine rebuilt, well most shops won't rebuild they just want to replace, and I do understand their theory behind that logic but leaves me in a bad spot. There has to be someone out there who knows of a shop that will do a rebuild on my Kubota 3 cylinder engine Onan uses. Any help would be helpful. I am in southern California and I am willing to travel to get this done, but must be done right of course that's another thing finding someone to get the the job done right. Did I mention it only has 325hr on it. Last owner had a mobile guy come out to get it running using starting fluid, which totally destroyed the engine.
ajaysarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.kumarbrosusa.com/kubota/...kit-parts.html

Great parts site! This will give you an idea on parts cost. If you can figure out your Kubota series engine you will save $$. ONLY onan sells the parts gold plated. Any Kubota tractor dealer with a good back shop can rebuild it for you. I would remove ithe genset from the coach and take it in to them. Pickup or rental trailer, easy to pull with a rental cherry picker engine hoist. Just me
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would contact Onan for the name of the nearest factory-authorized repair facility. Let them diagnose the problem before you spend big bucks for a new one!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Did you try this place, it's near you.....

https://www.advancedgeneratorservice.com/contact

There is also a Cummins/Onan shop in Ventura, called Cummins Cal Pacific........805) 644-7281. I've used them for some minor repairs and recalls.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #5

This is a diesel generator. The mobile mechanic should have known not to use starting fluid in diesels. Diesel engines don't operate like gas engines, for which starting fluid/ether is intended. Talk to an attorney.

FWIW, eBay is littered with an assortment of Onan generators. You should also try Visone RV in Kentucky, a large RV salvage operation. They presently have an Onan 7.5 generator for sale.
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #6

Over the years I have used starting fluid (ether) on numerous different Diesel engines However one has to know what you’re doing. Any engine that automatically pre heats is a definite no-no to use starting fluid. Using too much starting fluid will/can score the pistons. When I was a young punk I did this to a 15 liter Cummins diesel trying to start it on a cold cold day. Scored two pistons. Expensive lesson learned.

Now back to your problem. The QD7500 automatically pre heats. So, do you know the extent of the damage that was done to the engine? If it’s just scored pistons that can be easily repaired. If your damage is more significant, it may be beyond repair.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:12 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
OP posted on another forum and it appears his DW authorized a new purchase

Tags
onan