Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #15

I think the code 36 on just about all Onan generators just means the generator stopped and the computer has no idea why. Pretty vague troubleshooting clue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2021, 07:16 PM   #16

It’s probably electronic board mine did same and it was the computer board.
gwlorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:53 PM   #17

I found that my pickup tube is set to 1/2 tank. I'm extending it to 1/4 tank. Thanks for the reply.
TFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:52 AM   #18

Ugg,
I am going through this right now. I had the dreaded code 36 shut down last year, changed the fuel filter and it ran for 3 hours and quit again.
Sometimes runs for hours, other times seconds or minutes.

FOR sure, the fuel valve is shutting the gen down. It runs perfectly till it shuts off and issues code 36.
When it shuts down, does not get sick, stumble or change tone any at all, it just kills power to the fuel valve and pump and quits. I can immediately restart with zero difficulty and it might run another hour, or 10 seconds and quit again.

Pulled the computer which is potted so no chance of investigating any capacitors or circuits.
All plug connections are clean and corrosion free.
Something is either telling it to shut down or the computer is wigging out, it is not a fuel supply issue, that has been confirmed also.
Makes no difference, hot, cold, under load, or main breaker off and just running, full fuel, half fuel, remote start hooked up or disconnected.
Good A+ and Grounds.
AC voltage output is steady as is frequency, till it shuts down then of course it all goes down together.
Frustrating!
Windecker

Anyone know where to send a controller out for testing or have ideas?
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:08 AM   #19

Update on my code 36.
I bit the bullet and installed a new control module.
She is running normally again now, or at least so far.

Took the coach out on a short weekend trip, pretty warm out. All 3 AC units running and no glitches at all.
Whew!
Windecker
Old 07-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #20

I’ve straight wired the fuel pump to pump to run without the control board, replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. Still randomly get the code 36 shut down. I’m having both generator fuel lines replaced this week. I don’t know anything else to try
Old 07-09-2021, 06:18 AM   #21

Have you tried wiring the fuel shut off valve directly? Pretty much, it and the fuel pump make things happen...
Does it get sick and die or just quit like you hit the stop button?
Does it fire right back up or take a while to either start once cranking or prime if you push the prime button...?

My issue was the controller for sure. I have enough time on it now to be sure.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel2509 View Post
I’ve straight wired the fuel pump to pump to run without the control board, replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. Still randomly get the code 36 shut down. I’m having both generator fuel lines replaced this week. I don’t know anything else to try
Old 07-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #22

It’ll cough a couple times then shut off. It may or may not crank right back up. It ran 3 straight days while I was at a race and when I pulled out of the gate it shut off. Cranked right up and ran all the way home
Old 07-10-2021, 06:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimhendrix View Post
Yeah man, I googled the hell out of it and while the symptoms are similar, the solution doesn't be seem to be the same. Like I said, I've had it at cummins for the repair and the replaced a fuel pump that wasn't the issue.
This thread indicates the code 36 was solved with a new PC board: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ona...-a-508939.html
There are many irv2.com threads concerning this error code: https://www.google.com/search?q=onan...earch=irv2.com
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
Update on my code 36.
I bit the bullet and installed a new control module.
She is running normally again now, or at least so far.

Took the coach out on a short weekend trip, pretty warm out. All 3 AC units running and no glitches at all.
Whew!
Windecker
What did that end up running you ?? Thanks
RayAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:11 AM   #25

Just under $900.00 with shipping. I installed it myself so no labor.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAZ View Post
What did that end up running you ?? Thanks

Tags
diesel, fuel, generator, onan