Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #1

Onan generator

Hello everyone, I just recently bought a 2004 four winds c class and is very happy with it except for the generator It is a 4000 watt onan micro lite that starts and runs great,my problem is when I run it for awhile on full load and then shut it off it will not start until it cools down. It shows a 36 code.Ive changed the oil and reduced the amount and new spark plug. Any heip help would be appreciated, oh yeah I'm a noobie to this site and love it.
Gibbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 07:01 PM   #2

Try running with the basement door open and a load on the generator. I've heard some of these have an air flow problem.
I actually think someone was just talking about this a couple weeks ago on this forum. Try and do a quick search and you will find the thread. A few good suggestions in that thread if I remember correctly.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #3

My (different Onan) does the same thing. I have been told it is because the fuel line to it gets hot near the hot generator and needs to be moved or insulated. I haven't done that, but I am on a hot trip now, and today I tried priming it longer than I usually do, and it started. Good luck.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:33 PM   #4

Thanks guys,I'll try both suggestions.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
Try running with the basement door open and a load on the generator. .
The owner's manual for my Onan says not to run it for very long or under load with the door open because the air movement was designed to operate with the door closed and that it will overheat if this is done.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
The owner's manual for my Onan says not to run it for very long or under load with the door open because the air movement was designed to operate with the door closed and that it will overheat if this is done.

I just went through the service manual for my 4k and it doesn't mention anything about air flow movement issues with the door open. It actually says what testing to do while the generator is running(need door open) But this wouldnt be for hours at a time I'm guessing.

O.P- You can always contact a service rep if needed. Also while going through the manual I found this info. Check that the oil level is perfect. If not, apparently it will cause a possible stall condition.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #7

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/gene...ff-539925.html

Here is the link I mentioned before. Some other suggestions are in that thread.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #8

They mean the door to the generator enclosure. Not the door to the compartment the generator is located in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #9

I was having surging and what I thought were over heating issues with my 4K Microquiet. I recently changed the fuel pump with a Onan brand one, new Wix fuel filter and also pulled the Altitude Adjustment Cap off the main jet and back it out richer until the surging went away. Have ZERO issues now.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Might check the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb for a kink in the rubber hose. Also, if you push the lower portion of the remote start switch on the generator, you should be able to hear the pump operating(priming). You can verify this by pulling the fuel hose end off where it attaches to the carb - making sure you have good fuel flow into a container.

Stabil or a heavy dose of Sea Foam in the fuel tank can't hurt either engine, especially with occasional use...keeps those fuel components from getting 'sticky'.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:03 AM   #11

Some of the 4k Microquiet gen sets do not have and LED light on the on/off switch (such as mine). So no error code/s to read. Mine also does not have a low oil shut off feature nor the prime feature.

First thing I check is the oil level. Be sure the coach is level. And make sure the oil is neither low or over full.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:38 AM   #12

This is a common problem with the Onan 4000 which draws the cooling air from the side which is usually just inches from the compartment door when closed forcing the generator to pull hot air from underneath where the exhaust and engine are. They make a special compartment door vent to fix this. It has a rubber boot that mounts between the compartment door and fresh air intake forcing fresh air to be drawn from the outside instead of under the rv. Here is a pic of mine when I installed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A96F3AD6-FC7F-4799-A43B-A99ECAE30EDA.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	333005   Click image for larger version

Name:	D3E5514E-6AE5-4314-A4CD-4E977CDF5C97.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	333006  

Old 06-21-2021, 06:58 AM   #13

Thanks everyone, I ran it for a hour yesterday with the compartment door open and the air conditioner on and it ran perfect .I shut it down and it wouldn't restart,waited another hour and still wouldn't start.I am going to order a new onan fuel pump and filter and look into the vent for the door.Iwill let you all know the results .
Old 06-21-2021, 07:09 AM   #14

You can get a filter and pump on Amazon and save a bunch of bucks.

Code 36 is nonspecific but usually fuel related. I believe overheat has it's own code. 36 is shut down for unknown reason. Like no fuel.

Tags
generator, onan