Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 06:26 AM   #1

Onan Genset

Why does my Onan genset not stay running when traveling down the road?
Usually I do not run my generator while driving but last summer my dash air was not working (blows warm air) and I fired up the genset to run the house air, but after a few short minutes the generator would shut off, I tred several times with the same results?

I am getting the dash AC looked at next week, but I would like the option to run the generator while traveling just in cas>

Thanks All
hoggem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:53 AM   #2

There are several possible reasons, but the most likely is due to oil level. If the oil is near the point of needing more added, the motorhome can tilt to the side and cause the low oil shut-down to turn it off. If the oil is too full the movement of the RV can cause that oil to foam and that too will trigger the low oil shut-down. Make sure that the oil level is near the middle of the acceptable range for best performance.

A good test would be to start the generator when parked and try operating your air conditioner from it. If it still shuts down then it isn't what I suggested.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:26 AM   #3

Low oil is the primary suspect... (I've gotten into the habit of checking mine after every five hours of runtime...)

The next culprit could be weak or old oil... Make sure you change the oil every 50 hours... Once the unit heats up the oil thins out and the shut down sensor says quit!...

The final problem could be your fuel filter...
If the filter is clogged, or clogging, to the point where it will fill the float bowl of the carburetor, but not deliver enough fuel flow on demand of a full load, the generator will stop when the float bowl is empty then fill up again. (A kink in the line or another line restriction will produce the same result...)

Also, if your coach is like mine, make sure you have at least a quarter tank of fuel in the main tank. Once the main tank is below a quarter of a tank, the generator fuel supply line can no longer suck gas into the line... (It's a safety thing, so you don't run out of gas using the generator...)
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #4

Runs fine while stationary? Has New fuel filter, tank is full? I will change oil and recheck oil level.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine is a gas Onan generator and would not run for very long when driving. I replaced the fuel pump, and it has worked perfect ever since.
But there are a number of things that could go wrong. I have heard that it is usually an oil issue as already suggested, some type of fuel flow issue, an air flow issue and some say there is a control board that could go bad. Hope you find your problem quickly and easily.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:58 AM   #6

So? how does one check the fuel pump? and control board? where are they located?

Thanks everyone
Old 06-19-2021, 06:04 AM   #7

could anyone recommend a good Onan repair/diagnostic shop in the Chicago land area?

Thanks again everyone
Old 06-19-2021, 07:16 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggem View Post
So? how does one check the fuel pump? and control board? where are they located?

Thanks everyone
I'm not a mechanic; but I did kind of like you and changed my air filter, oil, oil filter and fuel filter, and that did not help.
I took it to a service center in TX and they first worked with air flow (thinking it was restricted) and that did nothing. They put clear fuel lines on to test the gas flow and it looked good to them; but by the way it was cutting off they said it had to be a gas flow problem. They changed the fuel pump (didn't know what else to try) and a short fuel line going to the carburetor - and that fixed it.
Tell us what model generator you have and someone on here may be better able to help you.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #9

Using your start stop switch check for any fault codes
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #10

My genset is an ONAN : model 7HGJJAB-900C Marque Gold

Thanks all

Tags
onan