Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2021, 05:21 PM   #1

One More Black Tank Odor Problem Post :-(

I have a new RPod travel trailer that's been on the road since May of this year and I've used it extensively since then. I do a lot of dry camping so I'm often coming home with a black tank that's pretty full. The last couple of trips I've come home with a tank that has been 3/4 full and I've noticed the smell of sewage in my camper after my drive home. Not overpowering, but definitely there. No odors during the trip while stationary, and it goes away as soon as I empty the tank.

Wondering what the cause of an odor could be that seems to only be present after traveling? What's the connection between travel and odor from the black tank?

As a COVID assembled RV, we've had our share of shoddy workmanship. Not sure if it's related to my current odor issue, but one of the examples of shoddy workmanship was the fitting on the pipe that connected the black water tank flush inlet with the black water tank was not tightened, and you guessed it - water came gushing out in the bathroom the first time we used the black tank flush. Thankfully the water coming out was clean, and after tightening the seal and wiping up the mess, all has been good until this smell thing started.

I honestly don't know if this is a new problem, or I've simply been returning home with tanks that are more full. When I've traveled recently with tanks that were half full or less - no smell.

Any ideas? Or maybe I should just empty my tanks more frequently!
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2021, 05:37 PM   #2

Did you have a bathroom vent open when traveling? The vented tank odor could come back in through that.

Is water always covering the toilet seal?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:42 PM   #3

Could be Grey tank stink....
Air Admittance Valve(s) on kitchen sink/bathroom sink drain lines

If they fail to properly seal off then Grey tank odors will cme back inside the RV
Grey can stink worst then black

Air Admittance Valve

As for that Flush water leak.....it was clean water cause that is what goes thru it.
The Device under the sink is an anti-siphon vacuum breaker backflow that allows supply water to go to nozzle in tank but stops black tank water from coming back (that is the concept---cross contamination)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:04 PM   #4

"Or maybe I should just empty my tanks more frequently!"

Based on the comments, it would see this is the easy solution.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:30 AM   #5

Grey tanks can be far worse than black. Don't put anything down the kitchen sink. And yes those little 8.00 air admittance valves can ruin your day. Also change your roof vent to a 360 degree if it isn't already. Don't clean your toilet with chemicals until you are ready to dump. Hot weather compounds the problems. I use happy camper, in real hot weather I have to add about once a week.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Did you have a bathroom vent open when traveling? The vented tank odor could come back in through that.

Is water always covering the toilet seal?
Bathroom vent definitely closed. By water covering the toilet seal do you mean a bit of water in the bottom of the bowl? If so - yes.

I use Happy Camper although I’ve only been adding it after dumping with several initial gallons of clean water and have not been adding mid-trip. But then again, I have no odor during a trip, even in very hot weather, only after traveling. I also never dump cleaners into the black tank, not wanting to interfere with enzyme action of Happy Camper. Spray and wipe!

I assumed it was a black tank problem but will check the grey tank seals as suggested by Old-Biscuit.

I was thinking it might be a venting problem that gets activated when driving. If I climb onto my roof what should I be looking for?

Thank you to you who are always quick to responded. I would not be the safe and quickly becoming confident camper that I am were it not for your generous support. I’ve learned all that I know about RVing because of you! (Plural)
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, odor, problem, tank