Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
One rear jack wont retract

Hello All

My drivers side rear leveler wont retract all the way .It starts up but about 3/4 the way up I have to pry it up enough to get the alarm to turn off.
It has been doing it since I brought it ,so its nothing new .Just getting tired of it,finally.
Where would I start trying to fix this myself ,I am familiar with hydraulics so I know how it supposed to work .Valve energized,spring pushes oil out of cylinder back to tank. Just don't know where to start.
Or am I better off taking it to a shop.

Thanks

Jeff
jefrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Perhaps a shot of silicone lubricant would help? We've had that issue in the past, and that has always done the job. I spray the jacks regularly each year to keep them functioning properly.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
paz

You don't say what brand of levelers you have, but assuming they are HWH.

Do your springs have tapered or square ends? HWH came out with stronger springs to help the problem you describe. The stronger springs have tapered ends.

In the meantime, try wiping down the shaft of the problem jack with WD-40, then dry it off thoroughly before trying to retract. The WD-40 is meant as more of a cleaner than a lubricant. The shafts don't need lubrication. The part up inside the cylinder is completely surrounded by oil.

The other thing that can happen is the O-ring at the top of the shaft can get twisted or the shaft can get bent, which adds too much resistance for the springs to overcome to return the jack. The jack can be rebuilt to replace a twisted O-ring, but it will probably have to be replaced if the shaft is bent.

I think rebuilt jacks are available from HWH, or a local hydraulic shop (the kind that services hydraulic cylinders for construction or farm equipment) may be able to do it.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:09 AM   #4

My left rear will be balky from time to time. Good advise using WD40. I would add that I extend my jacks as far as I can without lifting the coach off the ground, then spray down the shafts and really wipe them down good. Any left over WD40 will be like a dirt magnet. A couple times a year I'll also use a Q-tip to get up inside. I've gotten an accumulated bunch of gunk out that way also.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #5
Commercial Member

if you have good springs, the cylinder is going to need rebuilding. if its hwh, go online and request a rga. there is a section of the technical service where you can do that
do that, and its faster than waiting for a phone call. send it in and have it rebuilt.
if you can do the removal and reinstall its a cheaper way to go.
power gear may have a different process, but even then it will need new seals, if it can be rebuilt. some power gear cylinders can only be replaced.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote