Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One thing leads to another, and another, and another.....

It all started when I wanted the ability to watch BluRay movies. The old home theater receiver that came with the MH would not play them. It sounded simple enough. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a new BluRay player. When I opened it I found that it only had HDMI output, and of course my old receiver does not have HDMI input! Next I started searching for a BluRay player that had composite outputs. Guess what! None of them do!

Oh well, it was probably time to update the surround sound receiver anyway. I start searching and find that Denon has just introduced a new line of receivers and the low-end model AVR-E200 is on sale for only $199! I reasoned that would be fine for the MH and ordered it since it has HDMI and composite inputs and both HDMI and composite outputs. I knew I needed the composite outputs since I only had coax cables from the equipment cabinets over the dash to the new 40" flat screen TV I had installed on a motorized lift behind the couch. I did not install an HDMI cable to the TV because I had a SD in-motion dome on top and did not want to replace it. I had installed two coax cables, one from the switch box at the satellite receiver for RF feed, and one from the surround sound receiver for composite video from the built-in DVD player.

I start installing the new receiver and immediately realize that it only has a LFE subwoofer output, not the high-level speaker output to the subwoofer that the old receiver had! Now I have to buy a new powered subwoofer!

I get the new receiver hooked up and find I'm getting no signal to the TV! I call Denon and they tell me that there is no composite output when using the HDMI input! I have to use the HDMI output!

Now I've got to install an HDMI cable from the new receiver to the TV. The problem is, the new TV behind the couch is in a slide-out. The cables run from the equipment cabinets above the dash, down inside the windshield post, under the MH above the storage bays (which all have plywood ceilings that must be removed), through a pipe that moves in and out with the slide-out, and through the bottom of all the cabinets over to the TV at the opposite end!! It takes a 50' HDMI cable and it's a good half-day's work to get the cable over there!

OK, I can't turn back now so I order the HDMI cable. I decided to use an A/V cable from the satellite receiver to the new surround sound receiver instead of using the RF output as before. I reasoned that I would no longer need coax cable from the switcher to the TV so I could disconnect that cable and use the TV end to pull the HDMI cable through the pipe. That worked fine and I decided to use that coax to take signal to my new powered subwoofer. So far so good, right? WRONG! After all that was done I realized that by taking out the coax from the switcher to the TV I had eliminated the only way of feeding campground cable to the TV!
Now I had to go through another half-day's work to run another coax cable from the switcher to the TV!

Mama said there would be days like this............
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

THAT's a funny story Joe! At least it's funny to someone reading it. I'm sure you weren't laughing much.

It sounded like one of my DIY projects.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #3

Sounds like one of my days when I attempt some simple task. Like when I removed the heavy anchor CRT TV to install an LED/LCD TV. Two months later I finished a reasonably acceptable installation. I had already replaced the rear TV. Less than one month later we bought another MH and are selling my new TV to a daughter, with the old MH. Now my newer MH has CRT's front and rear. DW is balking of changing them.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #4

Ever thought of wireless HDMI connections. Just Google it.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 62 View Post
Ever thought of wireless HDMI connections. Just Google it.

NOW you tell me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can relate to that story.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I can relate.....here's my tale:

Got tired of the OEM Sony 80# head banger and decided to replace it with a new flat panel TV. I found a Vizio 29" that fit inside the existing side to side dimensions with 3/8" to spare so I went for it. At the same time I ordered a new HD Direct TV receiver and dreamed about all the great HD TV I could now watch.

So I take the heavy and I mean heavy tube TV out, fabricated mounting brackets and filler strips for the top and bottom. Plugged in a HDMI cable and installed the TV. This part of the project wasn't too bad.....only took a couple days.

Next I installed the new HD DTV receiver and could not get the dish to move. After lots of frustration swapping out cables, perusing the internet for clues etc I finally learned that 1) my dish gets it power to move thru the old SD receiver. When it was connected the dish powered up and went thru the search sequence. The problem is the new HD receiver only has HDMI outputs and I need coax to connect to the dish 2) I then discovered that the dish I have (original in 2004) is only a SD dish and to get DTV HD you need a dish with 5 LNB's. The only system I could find for DTV HD was a Traveler at $1700.

So I reinstalled the old SD receiver and now I get DTV SD programming on my nice new HD TV. Not very good. I do however get an unbelievable HD picture on the over the air antenna.

So in essence I solved one problem and created another. Not quite as bad a your cable running problem but still a problem. Until my bruised ego heals and I can justify a new dish I will work with what I have. At least I shed 70#'s in the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	44448  

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #8

TV's, cables and older systems seem to be the norm. We are also having 'issues' with our DVD player. On doing some research, the system is no longer make!
Guess that this will be a 'project' for next summer as we are getting into hunting seson and then time to put her away for the winter.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Joe,
I knew there was a reason why I thought of you as a friend, that sounds like the way my projects usually go. I hope that you got it all done to your satisfaction and that it works good. Hope to see you in the near future.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club

Sorry.

USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post

Sorry.

X2!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #12

Well, if no-one else learned anything from Joe and Steve's experiences I did. Thanks for relating your "adventures" in electronics guys. I have bookmarked your thread Joe, for future reference when I get time to replace our 2000 model TV's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some days chickens, other days feathers......

And just remember...No go deed goes unpunished.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #14

A warning based on an expensive experience.

I added a DVD player to our on-board entertainment system, locating it in the front cabinet above the driver's seat. I did an installation similar to the VCR over on the other side.

After three trips, the DVD was toast. Internal components had been shaken loose and I destroyed two DVDs before I figured out what the problem was.

Bottom line - don't put sensitive electronic stuff in the RV without adequate protection against road shocks. I suspect that a particularly bad section of southbound I-5 north of Seattle was the culprit. It damn-near shook my fillings loose and we avoid it if we're headed south.

What I did to alleviate the condition was to attach the DVD and VCR to a plywood base which had about 1" of polyurethane foam glued to the underside. I then attached another piece of plywood with foam underneath which I screwed down to the cabinet base. I added sleeves to those screws so that the upper section had the capability to move up and down an inch or so when we encountered a rough road.

We haven't had a problem with either the DVD or the VCR since. I did a similar installation for a CD player in the right side overhead.