Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #1

I have an image from one of our trips to share. The Swift truck passed us on our way up Lolo Pass in Idaho and I commented as he went by about his hurried pace and what might happen. Several miles up the road we found the same truck blocking the highway. The Airstream is brand new on its first trip. The couple that owned the trailer were sitting in front of their rv in camping chairs when the guest arrived. The owner took it very well with a bemused smile, thankful no one was hurt.
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck_wreck3.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	88116  
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I love that drive up hwy 12 to Missoula. It is beautiful. However, it is a two land road and there are a lot of crazy drivers. This year alone, I've seen many pass with double yellow lines and a curve coming up. Or they continually drive over the line in the oncoming traffic lane. Some don't even get over when you approach them. What are people thinking? They need to slow down and enjoy the beauty. No job or appointment is worth taking a life. We live fairly close to that area and really love the scenery.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #3

Wow, was the Airstream just pulled off on the side of the road, or was it in an actual parking spot. That is a shame, seems like people only care about themselves these days and don't respect others property. I'm sure this is one of those truckers with an ego a mile wide that can "handle anything", it's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt. One can only hope he doesn't have a truck to drive anymore and hopefully won't kill someone next time he is in a hurry.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

Wow! Does anyone know what caused it? Too fast in a curve?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

hiway 12

Yes, very nice scenery in that part of Idaho and a great drive along the river. We have driven hiway 12 all the way to Wisconsin because I just love driving two lane black top. One must be constantly on the alert and look far ahead for impending trouble on the 2 lanes. I am thankful that my personality allows me to relax and enjoy driving and not be wound up as tight as a 10 cent toy on a Woolworth counter.
While driving I keep an eye to my rear and pull off, so as not to impede others. Drivers sometimes give a friendly toot on the horn as they jam on the accelator until the next obstacle. It is a good day when I can follow a slow moving truck and really enjoy the scenery.
If there is trouble on roads like 12, people will say it is a bad road. The road is fine, some just drive beyond their capabilities and faster than the road is designed to be driven. Wish you all happy and safe travels.
Kevin
Old 03-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Cause, Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
Wow! Does anyone know what caused it? Too fast in a curve?
The couple with the trailer had pulled off to rest and enjoy the river and scenery. The shoulder is very wide at that point in the road with a curve just before the impact point. The man that owned the trailer was as cool as a cucumber when I arrived, the trucker could not have found a nicer person to hit. Speed was the factor in this case and made a comment to my brother before the accident. Recently we were driving over Stevens Pass in Washington sate, the road was icy with a dusting of snow. I found that anything over 25mph and the rv would start to slip. A driver approaching from behind in the fast lane caught my attention and before he passed alerted the wife to watch the car passing us. He made it about 10 car lengths ahead of us and started doing 360's and eventually went off the road and disappeared. He was probably doing 45mph but that was enough. This all happened on a steep uphill grade not going down hill.
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck_wreck.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	88134  
Old 03-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I've put in a lot of miles on that Stevens Pass route over the years. Used to go snowboarding 2-3 times a week. I have seen many a fool think that 4x4 meant they were glued to the road only to discover the truth. Sadly they often involve others in their stupidity often including death.

Never been in such a hurry I was willing to risk life and limb to save 5, 10, 20 min of travel time.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:40 AM   #8

Living in WA, have traveled Stevens many times and like you have seen accidents and crazy driving. A couple years ago we were driving the speed limit near Skykomish and a beat up pickup with a couple of six toed sawdust savages passed and both gave the finger salute as they roared past. No offense to lumberman, as I am a descendent of a long line of tree cutters and a mill owner.
Kevin
Old 03-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look at it this way... The trucking company is now going to have to buy a New Truck (Was it a tractor/trailer or a straight truck) and a new Air stream.. Now that's really going to make both them, and their insurance agent, real, real, happy (Epically the agent cause as the rates go up, so does his commission).
Old 03-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thankfully nobody was hurt, vehicles can be replaced.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Truckers side of the story;
Honest officer, I was driving along minding my own, and this darned RV jumps right out in front of me.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hopefully no one was hurt. Swift won't file an insurance claim, they will pay out of pocket, they only use their insurance for catastrophic claims. The trucker most likely was terminated, and with the accident on his DAT record probably will not be driving for anyone for a few years, or if a job is found, it most likely will not be with a decent paying firm.
I drive 2 lane roads all the time, take my time, and pull off when I can to let those that want to push on faster go on by. I also don't park on the wrong side, or use the pull outs if I have to face the wrong way, it confuses other drivers and when entering the roadway is not all that safe either.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steady Rest it seems somehow or the other I missed you but for now

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:41 AM   #14

Thank you JohnRR,
I have been reading this forum for years and finally decided to join. Never had much presence anywhere on the internet, in fact I have posted here online more times in the last couple weeks, than in the previous 18 years since I purchased my first pc. This site has impressed me with being much more friendly and welcoming than any other forum I have visited on any subject. Keep up the good work.
Kevin