Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #15

Too much stress (and I HATE that word) trying to meet an itinerary like that IMO. You'll have a much better time if you have at least one recovery day between each travel day.

Another thing to keep in mind is fire season...you"ll be in the prime of fire season.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #16

For whatever reason, it always takes longer in my motorhome than Google thinks it should. I go over the speed limit, but it takes a lot longer. If you want to actually have fun, I suggest cutting that itinerary in half.

Cyrus
CyrusL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #17

Coming from Seattle, we made a route from Seattle to Cody, WY to the Black Hills, back to a couple of stops in MT and Yellowstone over 2 weeks. Get up and out early on your travel days, pack up as much as you can the night before to be ready in the morning. As many places as we went, I don't think another week would have been enough to add Bryce and Zion also. You will want 2-3 days at each of the stops on your way and a smaller vehicle to tour around.

As far as being first timers in a class A, it's good you are planning a short trip close to home ahead of time to get used to driving it. It turns a whole lot wider than anything you have ever driven. Seattle, Vancouver, and SF should be a no go with the class A. The streets are WAY too narrow. I'd probably do it, but I'm kind of crazy like that!

One of my coworkers that used to own a class A just flew out to TX last week and rented a 25' class C. It was him, his wife, and 2 high school aged sons. He said they had plenty of room and said that he would probably buy the smaller class C instead of an A next time because it is so much easier to get around in. They spent 8 days traveling from San Antonio up to Bryce, Zion, and Arches with a few stops in between.

So look at the class C also - remember that with all of the stops you are making, you will pretty much be sleeping and making breakfast/dinner in it. So if you are thinking class A for the space, you may find the class C might better suit your needs for this type of trip with its size and maneuverability. I'm glad we still had the truck and trailer when we made that trip since we had the truck to go sight seeing.

For your trip to Glacier and Yellowstone, there will be places you can't get to with the class A - Road to the Sun in Glacier NP for instance, major vehicle size restrictions.

I don't know that I'd say you average 50mph, but you are definitely not going to make the same time you make in a car. A typical 8 hour trip for us in a car is usually 10 with the MH or truck/trailer. So whatever you think the drive time will be, add at least 25%. Fuel stops in your car are 5-10 minutes, the MH is going to be 15-20.

Bottom line, whtever you decide to do. Have fun! Even if you end up not making all of your planned destinations, have fun! That's why we are all here. Enjoy your trip, it will be a great experience.
agilabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Not to burst your bubble, but I think your trip may have some serious issues. First, Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone, the main campground will be closed in 2019 for the addition of a new bridge and the completion of the campground upgrade.....pull throughs in the back sites. So finding campsites for two RV's at Grizzly will be tough.

Next, Seattle has no campgrounds within a 35 mile perimeter of the city. Probably the nicest is a KOA southeast of the city, but it books up fast. There are a few to the east of the city, but require about an hour drive to the city center.

Yosemite requires booking sites the SECOND they become available, 5 months out. Again getting two sites on a specific date would be tough. Bryce/Zion are also tough spots to book.

I'm not trying to ruin your trip, just being realistic. You may snag a spot or two at one or two of the major spots, but scoring two sites at each of them on a specific schedule would be almost impossible.

Personally, I think you would do better, renting a couple of nice vans and hoteling it. You'll be able to get some decent hotels near each attraction and have a VEHICLE to do site seeing. We just did Yellowstone a month ago. We put on 500 miles INSIDE the park, just to see all the sites.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
itinerary, rental