Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

Open Range vs. Grand Design

We have two trailers at the top of our list. The Open Range 321BHTS and the Reflection 308BHTS. From the research I have put in both rigs are quality built and have floor plans we are looking for. At this point just trying to get feedback from current owners of either.
AlexCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCalgary View Post
We have two trailers at the top of our list. The Open Range 321BHTS and the Reflection 308BHTS. From the research I have put in both rigs are quality built and have floor plans we are looking for. At this point just trying to get feedback from current owners of either.
I've got the '16 Grand Design Reflection 323BHS which is essentially a 321BHTS without the rear half bath. We special ordered it deleting the dinette and adding SuperSofa--12' of a double reclining love seat and 2 side recliners.

The workmanship of our Reflection has been excellent, and it never had any warranty claim filed. I did have a small water leak I fixed in 15 minutes with teflon tape and that's about the only issue. I would wholeheartedly recommend the Reflection.

Grand Design as a company has been recently sold to Winnebego, but they're a completely customer driven operation. And they've built an incredible number of fifth wheels and travel trailers in their first 4 years in business.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both are very good coaches. I have sold both. I would lean toward the open range as i personally believe it has better cold weather capabilities.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #4

It is great to hear from someone who has been on the sales side to give advice that doesn't benefit them directly. I too have been leaning the Open Range way because of the added insulation benefits. Living in Canada we don't camp "4 seasons" but have woken up to snow in May and would like to be able to extend the camping season into September and maybe October.

My research also tells me that the wide body and extra deep slide-out make the living space in the Open Range a little bigger than the competition.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

We had an Open Range Light 256BHS for a year. Overall, it was a great trailer. Here are some specific likes and dislikes:

1. The fit and finish were very good. It was as a huge step up from our previous Keystone Passport.
2. It had opposing slides and a kitchen island. This made for a good kitchen but it could get tight with two people trying to prep dinner. We grew to dislike the "U" lounge with two small tables as we couldn't eat dinner together easily.
3. It had dual sewer outlets which I hated. It was always a pain, either setting up two hoses, or using a Wye. Never again for me.
4. The dealer network is small. If you are on a trip and have an issue, getting warranty service may be an issue, but some vendors like Route 66 may help.
5. The 4 season capabilities seemed very good. The heating really does circulate and I was never concerned with being in cold weather down to the 20's.
6. The fresh water drain was in the middle of the underneath, above the axles. There was no handle to drain on the side of the camper. I used a long stick with a hook to open/close the valve.

I would buy another OR if we were still in the trailering mode.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #6

While we were impressed with the Open Range features, especially insulation, we we not crazy about the floor plans of the 309 and 349 because of the kink in the neck TV viewing and the 309 inability to access the bathroom and possibly refrigerator without opening a slide. The 349 was had bath access with slides closed. Open Range has come a long way since we looked in 2011 and thought they felt cheap. In comparing with Grand Design, you have to compare with the Solitude line which is also wide body.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
While we were impressed with the Open Range features, especially insulation, we we not crazy about the floor plans of the 309 and 349 because of the kink in the neck TV viewing and the 309 inability to access the bathroom and possibly refrigerator without opening a slide. The 349 was had bath access with slides closed. Open Range has come a long way since we looked in 2011 and thought they felt cheap. In comparing with Grand Design, you have to compare with the Solitude line which is also wide body.
We too dislike the King U Dinette, glad that the floor plan for Open Range (321BHTS) has done away with it. The floor plans we are looking for have a Island Kitchen which will all prevent being able to have access to the fridge with the slides in. Real unfortunate but the floor plan is the most important thing for us to consider with our purchase. Have looked at the Solitude floor plans but doesn't quiet check all of our must have boxes, but I will revist them now. Thanks for all of the pointers.