Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I just renewed with GS $79 and change I also added medical $23-25. After reading the brochure they sent but all they do is call services. I have roadside on my insurance and they did the same thing. I used it once and I was impressed on the service we got on a dark Sunday night on the side of a 2 lane Hwy Ive had GS for 5 years and have never used them for roadside, or anything else.
I have used my roadside with my insurance company once.
I'll call and cancel GS tomorrow or Monday. $100 bucks is $100 bucks for duplication. Talk to your ins. Agent

JMO,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
I'm not sure how this GS thing works, but I just used them for a tire replacement on the road. They did a good job finding someone to fix my problem, but I just happened to look over the guy's shoulder at the paperwork and saw that his company was billing GS about $200 less than I was paying GS. I didn't realize until this incident that you pay GS for the service, not the service provider which gives GS an opportunity to mark up the cost. In my case, over 25%.

Next time, I'll find my own repair guy.
I'm not sure I understand are you talking about "The New Tire" and the changing of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
For the past 2 years, when I got my inflated GS Roadside Assistance bill in the mail, I just stopped by a Camping World and renewed it there. Both this year and last, it was $59.95 if renewed at the CW store, even though the bill that came in the mail was for $112 and change.

Of course, this would only work if you have a Camping World nearby.
Actually I do have one close in Rocklin Calif. and I'll be close to them Monday...... I'll give them a shot...... Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Coach net was above and beyond helpful this summer when my 40 footer needed a tow. They made sure I was in a safe place and then kept me abreast of the towing service arrival time and coordinated a great shop for the repair. That monster truck and driver were outstanding. The driver even measured the height of the rv while raised. The towing was zero dollars out of my pocket.
That's good information........ Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
Call your insurance company they may offer the same service for just a few dollars a year more and that will also cover all vehicles on the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
I have Progressive and am very happy with them.. Their towing is only $17 a year but I would rather go with a RV Type Roadside Assistance just because of their knowledge ..... Thanks
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #17

Coachnet covers my car too.When the fan belt broke they sent out a flatbed and brought us home.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #18

Progressive offer roadside service for about $35 extra as an extra to the insurance policy. Just call the assist number and they handle is.

One poster mentioned having to do all the legwork themselves. When I had a breakdown in a large Mexican city all Good Sam could be bothered doing was give me 4 phone numbers, none of which were the slightest bit of use. Cancelled my cover with GS asap and got most of my subscription back. I wasn't impressed, especially since I had faced a similar problem a few weeks previously - in Morocco, 120 miles from the nearest large centre. One phone call to ADAC in Germany was all it took to have everything taken care of. A 120mile breakdown truck haul and the cost was zero. That would be about equivalent to GS pulling the same magic if I was in Colombia.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:44 AM   #19

Yes, I got a new tire installed on the road. GS supposedly covers the service call. Service provider charged GS $687, GS charged me $850.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:38 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had CoachNet for years and have had to use them a couple times. Once, when a FL shop lied to them about getting it fixed that same day and then the shop reneged on that they towd us back the way we came to another shop at no add'l charge. And then with the Magna earlier this year. They really needed a bigger truck though, notice how light the front tires are on the tow truck?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150309_153244.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	113475  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:30 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had GS for one year and had three breakdowns and they always came through. The problem I had with them is that each breakdown was two at 3 hours and one at 6 hours wait for help to show up. For the first two times it was not a dangerous situation as we were safely parked in a convenient rest area.

The deal breaker was when we were stuck on the freeway five miles out of Omaha Nebraska. Cars and Semis racing by at 75-80 MPH with inches to spare as I could not get pulled off completely before the ole girl died. This is where the six hour wait came into effect. No phone calls except when I called them, but they were always polite. On one of these calls I found out that they (GS) were not working on it. They had it outsourced to another company. Well help finally did arrive and towed us to a repair facility who let us stay in the MH overnight, it was 5 PM when we finally arrived at the repair place. They took at the repair the next morning first thing and had us back on the road about 2 PM. But because of the dangerous situation we were in for six hours I changed to CoachNet when the renewal come up. I have not had the need to use them yet so do not know what their service will be like. But I also added AAA road service as our back up plan. The problem with AAA is I had to do the leg work to find a place to work on our toad (which was a 2003 Kia Sedona at the time). Thank goodness for www.rvservicereviews.com/
That website came in very handy for finding a place to work on our toad. It has a lot of older listings on it, but if everyone would add their experiences, good and bad, it would be a very handy source for RVers looking for a repair facility in an unknown area.

When, not if, we breakdown again I will find out if CoachNet is any better. From what I have read about each service CoachNet seems to have the better service record (less complaints about bad service). Our time with GS was not the nightmare service that some have reported, but six hours of waiting in a dangerous situation was just unacceptable to me, especially since we were so close to a major metropolitan area.

As a side note, all three wrecker drivers told me that they were going to drop their contracts with GS when renewal came up, it seems that on that side of the fence GS's service is not up to par either.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I called my agent, sure they will sell me roadside insurance........when You have a problem.........send the bill in for review and we will send you a check. No call assistance. Erie Exchange, been with them for 40 years. I am sure others offer different roadside assistance.

Tim, are you sure about the service you bought from GS? Towing is a part of what you bought.

Quote:
Every Vehicle Covered Under One Plan

Anytime you break down, call our toll-free number for assistance.
  • 24/7 Service
  • We pay 100% of the towing fees to the nearest service center-no matter if it's 5 or 500 miles away
  • No pre-set mileage restrictions or dollar limits
RV Mobile Mechanic at Your Service

We want to get you back on the road quickly. When possible, we'll send a mobile mechanic to help with minor RV roadside repairs. You only have to pay for parts and labor.

https://www.goodsamroadside.com/findaplan/index.cfm
Old 12-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #23

I have progressive and yes they will tow but kinda dumb for a flat. I also have GS which was a very good experience for me during my blow out. You save $195 with GS they take care of that fee and as for the tire charge it was about $50 higher the simple tire on a 295 80r 22.5 and at 3:00 am how cares. You don't need GS you can call the service they use direct just pay the extra if you need them.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:04 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I have progressive and yes they will tow but kinda dumb for a flat. I also have GS which was a very good experience for me during my blow out. You save $195 with GS they take care of that fee and as for the tire charge it was about $50 higher the simple tire on a 295 80r 22.5 and at 3:00 am how cares. You don't need GS you can call the service they use direct just pay the extra if you need them.
Do you have any further information on this that you can post, I would like to call them and ask some questions. I have never heard of this before.......
I was always under the impression that them and Coachnet have operators 24/7 and look up on their computers the available appropriate service for your type of problem. With all roadside problems, your level of service is going to depend on your location from what I have read over the years.
If you can post some info. , that would be great, as I am shopping right now, my GS ends in a month.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Do you have any further information on this that you can post, I would like to call them and ask some questions. I have never heard of this before.......
I was always under the impression that them and Coachnet have operators 24/7 and look up on their computers the available appropriate service for your type of problem. With all roadside problems, your level of service is going to depend on your location from what I have read over the years.
If you can post some info. , that would be great, as I am shopping right now, my GS ends in a month.
GS uses Transit Pros in Lee's Summit MO which networks Goodyear commercial tires. 816 220-7100 great folks for me anyway. They are there 24/7 and search for tires closest to you. They found mine the first time 35 miles away and the second was 75 miles away. You just don't know how good it feels to have a calming voice telling you that your tire is on the way in the middle of the night on a weekend holiday.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:31 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
GS uses Transit Pros in Lee's Summit MO which networks Goodyear commercial tires. 816 220-7100 great folks for me anyway. They are there 24/7 and search for tires closest to you. They found mine the first time 35 miles away and the second was 75 miles away. You just don't know how good it feels to have a calming voice telling you that your tire is on the way in the middle of the night on a weekend holiday.
Thank you Rooster for the info. I will look into it. Just as you stated, and why I don't want to use my insurance company, It is comforting to talk to someone and having them trying to get you help in your time of need. My engine mounted air compressors crankshaft broke in two, knocked the large soft plug out the bottom of the compressor, lost the power steering, black oil all over everything in the back of the Coach, clear to the roof line, bikes and toad covered, and I had to deal with that situation myself
When I got pulled over and went out to see what was going on, then I saw all the black oil.........I just walked in circles for some time.............At that time I had no internet to add to my problems The oil trail went over a 1/2 mile back up the road........
So, you can guess when I was introduced to roadside assistance
Never have had a roadside problem since......
But a number to call and to be able to talk to someone would sure have been nice that afternoon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09833.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	113482   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09835.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	113483  

Old 12-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post

We want to get you back on the road quickly. When possible, we'll send a mobile mechanic to help with minor RV roadside repairs. You only have to pay for parts and labor.
This part is a lie. They will send a mobile mechanic and pay him for the trip however they will not pay for his return trip to the shop that all of the mobile mechanics charge. Ask me how I know.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I just got off the phone with Transit Pros, GS uses them as their roadside dispatch company just as Rooster stated, and works through your insurance company. GS does not have/own this type of service, they contract it out. Coachnet is Transit Pros competitor, as Coachnet operates/owns their service they offer.
Interesting to learn if this this morning.............a BIG thanks to you Rooster!
So,....when you need help, GS has to call Transit Pros......and 3 people are involved, with Coachnet, it is just you and them! I can see at times where a 3rd person involvement might make for a problem........... or misinformation getting passed on?