Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #1

Opening A Can Of Worms (About Roadside Assistance)

Sorry if this has been beat to death but I have to ask...

First a little history.....I have had Good Sam Roadside Assistance (Towing) for 8yrs (which I never used) and I just got my renewal and it's $112.95......

I see I can get Coach-Net for $89, which to me looks like it is the same coverage.

I know that back in the day Good Sam gave me a good rate to LURE me in and now the cost is going up?........

I guess what I am asking is in your opinion should I just pay the $23 extra and stay with Good Sam? or save $23 and switch to Coach-Net?

Thanks LeeB..
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #2

Since both programs are nearly the same when comparing packages/levels of service, it's totally your choice. They very often use the same providers for service. IMO, it boils down to saving $23 or maintaining continuity.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Call Good Sam and ask them what they would do. Ask them what makes their product worth $23 more.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Call Good Sam and ask them what they would do. Ask them what makes their product worth $23 more.
It does not expire until March so I do have time...... LarrytheBear that's a idea that may happen......
Old 12-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have coach net and also GS. GS was free for 1 yr when I got the coach. I have not used either one yet.

I bought the coach net because I was hearing all kinds of people having trouble with GS. I also have road side assistance from FMCA. So I will wait and see who can get to me first.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Good SAMs jumped my rates and I called and ask why did it almost went up 50% and the gal told me that that is the way it works it was a trial. I mention about coach net being cheaper and staying the same price and she said do what you need to do so I joined coach net. I had gs for 3 years I paid for that plan.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Good SAMs jumped my rates and I called and ask why did it almost went up 50% and the gal told me that that is the way it works it was a trial. I mention about coach net being cheaper and staying the same price and she said do what you need to do so I joined coach net. I had gs for 3 years I paid for that plan.
That sounds like great customer service (NOT!!!!!!!!!!! )

If memory serves me well my trial was $79 and then it jumped... I don't remember by how much...... I'm still up in the air about which way to go.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

I'm not sure how this GS thing works, but I just used them for a tire replacement on the road. They did a good job finding someone to fix my problem, but I just happened to look over the guy's shoulder at the paperwork and saw that his company was billing GS about $200 less than I was paying GS. I didn't realize until this incident that you pay GS for the service, not the service provider which gives GS an opportunity to mark up the cost. In my case, over 25%.

Next time, I'll find my own repair guy.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have been with GS for 14 years, but plan to switch to CoachNet at renewal time! From what I've read, CN seems to be better prepared to deal with larger MH's. We'll see!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #10

For the past 2 years, when I got my inflated GS Roadside Assistance bill in the mail, I just stopped by a Camping World and renewed it there. Both this year and last, it was $59.95 if renewed at the CW store, even though the bill that came in the mail was for $112 and change.

Of course, this would only work if you have a Camping World nearby.
terryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #11
YC1

Coach net was above and beyond helpful this summer when my 40 footer needed a tow. They made sure I was in a safe place and then kept me abreast of the towing service arrival time and coordinated a great shop for the repair. That monster truck and driver were outstanding. The driver even measured the height of the rv while raised. The towing was zero dollars out of my pocket.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Have had GS for 7 yrs. renewal time($112.00), Call GS cause I no longer see the the trailer I tow will also be taken care of if a tow is needed............they just dropped that endorsement lately and only cover Boat trailers now...........due to some trouble they got into the operator told me........FMCA roadside($99.00) also does not cover a trailer.......... so it looks like Coachnets Premier plan for $159.00 is my only choice. Kinda getting expensive..........
Old 12-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #13

Call your insurance company they may offer the same service for just a few dollars a year more and that will also cover all vehicles on the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
Call your insurance company they may offer the same service for just a few dollars a year more and that will also cover all vehicles on the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
The only problem with that is......you have no one to do all the leg work to get/find someone to help you.......its all up to you while sitting along the road.............did it once, very stressful. I never used my GS the entire time I had them...........buy it is nice to know you have someone to call that deals with breakdowns on a daily basis, and will more that not, find you help faster.