Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 05:55 PM   #1

Smile Opening a Can of Worms Here ! !

I might be opening a can of worms here, but here goes. I used to use camping lanterns that use the little Green Propane Bottles. I've decided to switch to these new LED Lanterns since there's no gas involved, no mantles, use them inside and out etc. However I do like to get the most bang for my buck and I was trying to decide for a 1000 lumen lantern......Which battery is the best??? Duracell?? or, Energizer??
Bobthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I prefer the lanterns that use 18650 lithium ion rechargable batteries. They last longer per charge and over all cost over time is cheaper. But you do have to watch that you buy name brand batteries like Sony. And if they say they are over 3000mAH they are fake for sure.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #3

I don't bother with lanterns with removeable batteries. I get ones that charge via USB, I can charge them from the coaches 12 volt system.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #4

I used camping lanterns that ran on naphtha gas. For my new LED lantern , I buy the batteries on sale . I have found Duracell to be slightly better than Energizer , but the sale price on Energizer's is usually way better than Duracell's .
Old 09-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #5

I replaced my Coleman propane lantern with a GE from Costco, it’s only 550 lumens but it does a great job on the picnic table without blinding you. The price is right and battery life has been great on a set of Duracells. I have some rechargeable lanterns as well but this one I don’t have to worry about.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Enbri...4210/206210770
Old 09-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #6

I'm in the rechargeable camp. Love the ease of recharging and the brightness of LEDs. As for batteries...I've never found one better than the other. I've had the same luck with just about all alkaline batteries as long as they are fresh. That is the advantage of name brand is they probably get rotated through the stock more often. I've gotten about the same life out of all lithium batteries. I suspect there are probably 4-5 manufacturers and only the label changes.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:01 PM   #7

I agree with others that something that uses a rechargeable battery(s) is the way to go. If I have use alkalines, then the Energizers are my choice as I've always gotten good service using them. I've had too many devices end up with corroded Duracells so I refuse to use them.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I bought a lantern that uses the same battery as my impact, drill, and other tools and keep spares on the charger in the coach. I use Milwaukee but for a led/lithium light, they are probably all about the same quality and longevity.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:37 AM   #9

I guess I'm old school.
I still use Coleman gas lanterns and have a small collection.
I also have three propane versions that rarely get used.

Yes battery lanterns are convenient with a flip of the switch but just don't have that camping feeling.
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:33 AM   #10

I like the LED model I got from Costco several years ago that uses D cells. Recharageable would be better though. One thing that's missing is a built in mp3 player that provide the missing hiss.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #11

Over the years I found that Energizer had slightly better service than Duracells, but a couple of years ago I found that Energizer was lacking in Customer Service:

I had purchased a 3 sensor remote thermometer for my MH and filled the sensors and base station with new Energizers. Less than a year later the base stations stopped working. I opened the battery compartment and found 4 leaking Energizer batteries and associated corrosion. I checked the dates on the batteries - all good until 2023. I contacted Energizer as their warranty reads:
Quote:
Energizer® No Leaks. Guaranteed.

Energizer will repair or replace, at our option, any device damaged by leakage from Energizer MAX® Alkaline batteries either during the life of the battery or within two years following the full use of the battery.
Bottom line - after going back and forth with them providing them all the info and pictures they asked for they claimed there was no damage to the device and provided no replacement.

A little Interweb search shows this is their standard response to any leakage claim. I haven't bought an Energizer battery since.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #12

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
I guess I'm old school.
I still use Coleman gas lanterns and have a small collection.
I also have three propane versions that rarely get used.

Yes battery lanterns are convenient with a flip of the switch but just don't have that camping feeling.
I’m with you, I still use the Coleman lantern & stove. No Little propane bottles which I see piled in dumpsters or at times left, thrown into woods when empty
Frost31720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #13

We found that Duracell, which we used for years, lost quality in the 2000-2016 time frame. Many of them leaked. We have switched entirely to Energizer now, even giving away our stock of Duracell. Have found the best prices at Home Depot in the large size packages.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #14

I haven't noticed a difference between the major brand batteries and buy whatever has the more attractive deal on Amazon.