Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #15

I've slowly accumulated a fair collection of AAA and AA rechargeable batteries. Nowadays I look for stuff that uses them because I know I will have batteries charged and on deck. I'm really big on being able to swap batteries in a dying light/tool/remote/etc and then continuing. Versus it all coming to a dead stop because I have to to plug thing in to recharge.
I have high load power tools that have made me very fond of Lion batteries but I've found that in low load lights and with the AA and AAA cells in particular NiMh does the job VERY well.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #16

I don't use battery powered or liquid fuel powered lights any more. If you want light that you can see by, get plug in powered LED work lights. I put 3 or 4 lights with 2000 lumens around the campsite. Don't have to worry about recharging, since we are always plugged into power. I bungee them to trees or lantern posts, or just set them on the picnic table if needed.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:40 PM   #17

I made 2 bucket lights with led bulbs in them.. hang them on the end of the awning to play cards or what ever on the table. waterproof and last forever..No, I don't leave them on after 10pm.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost31720 View Post
I’m with you, I still use the Coleman lantern & stove. No Little propane bottles which I see piled in dumpsters or at times left, thrown into woods when empty
Good for target practice!

Yes I've seen a lot left at camp sites.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #19

Energizers all the way. The best non leaking batteries ever are FUJI's. With that said I have not been able to get them for awhile. I have had the Harbor Freight
1250 lumen lantern for a couple of years. It's a welding torch.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #20

Flip a coin. I buy whichever is on sale.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Over the years I found that Energizer had slightly better service than Duracells, but a couple of years ago I found that Energizer was lacking in Customer Service:

I had purchased a 3 sensor remote thermometer for my MH and filled the sensors and base station with new Energizers. Less than a year later the base stations stopped working. I opened the battery compartment and found 4 leaking Energizer batteries and associated corrosion. I checked the dates on the batteries - all good until 2023. I contacted Energizer as their warranty reads:

Bottom line - after going back and forth with them providing them all the info and pictures they asked for they claimed there was no damage to the device and provided no replacement.

A little Interweb search shows this is their standard response to any leakage claim. I haven't bought an Energizer battery since.

I had the same response from Duracell when their batteries ruined a $30 Maglite LED flashlight. The date on the battery was still within range and the light is barely used.

Their response was to remove the batteries while stored. I then asked them what good is a flash light without batteries in an emergency when the power goes out!

After speaking to a senior CSR, he agreed to send me a check for $10.
Never going to buy Duracell again.
They used to sell quality, but no more.
Worst part is that after destroying the light to remove the batteries, I cleaned the crud off and the batteries still had power. LEAKED while still charged!
The light was stored in my house, so excessive temperature was not the problem.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our multi fuel mantle lanterns were relegated to the garage after we acquired 6 LED lanterns that are rechargeable by solar or 12v from the coach. Individually, they're not as bright as a gas lantern, but there's no cost to operate.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwinger View Post
I had the same response from Duracell when their batteries ruined a $30 Maglite LED flashlight. The date on the battery was still within range and the light is barely used.

Their response was to remove the batteries while stored. I then asked them what good is a flash light without batteries in an emergency when the power goes out!

After speaking to a senior CSR, he agreed to send me a check for $10.
Never going to buy Duracell again.
They used to sell quality, but no more.
Worst part is that after destroying the light to remove the batteries, I cleaned the crud off and the batteries still had power. LEAKED while still charged!
The light was stored in my house, so excessive temperature was not the problem.
I bought a 24 pack of duracell AAAs in June 2015 and marked the date on the package. The package says they're guaranteed for 10 years. Yeah, right. The first several that leaked, I just threw away until I saw it kept happening, so I started keeping track - at least 10 of those 24 leaked and four of those were still in the package, they were NEVER USED.

A battery should never, ever leak, all the way to dead - my Energizers don't.

I'll never buy duracell again.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #24
Commercial Member

costco's brand of batteries (kirkland) are mfg by duracell. dont know if there is a quality differential or not.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #25

If you like rechargeable AA/AAA, the Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries and chargers are very good. Ainsmann also. Many houses of worship use these brands in their wireless microphone transmitters and musicians in-ear monitoring systems. Broadway musicals have gone rechargeable, too. They can go through 48 AA cells per performance.

We still use a bunch of AA alkaline cells at work and ended up with Energizer Industrial (I'm told the only difference with the consumer version is the packaging) and Amazon Basics. We've had ProCell (Duracell) leak or self-discharge in storage. We buy them only for immediate use and only if we can't get Energizers.

I like solar-rechargeable for camp site use. The less I have to plug in, the better...
Old 09-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost31720 View Post
I’m with you, I still use the Coleman lantern & stove. No Little propane bottles which I see piled in dumpsters or at times left, thrown into woods when empty
I too use the coleman lanterns. I have two of them and they still work great. My oldest is a 1960, 200A and it just won't quit.
Steve721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #27

I may be adding to your can of worms. I like old school items. I have two older Coleman gas lanterns. The older one is probably 60 years old at least. Both in excellent condition. I like to pump them up. I like to replace the mantles if necessary. I like the sound of them. I like the heat when it’s cold outside. I like the opportunity to burn the Coleman fuel because that will lead to the quicker demise of fossil fuels. By burning them I’m contributing to a greener future quicker. I like the old school approach. I also bring my old three burner Coleman stove along. Same appeal to me at least. I need most new technology like I need another hole in my head. Did I mention that one of my trucks is a 36 Ford with a chopped top, it’s channeled and sectioned with a short bed and has only one hand operated wiper on the 5” windshield. Has a
392 hemi with only 1 four barrel. Even has a manual choke and I have to wind the windows by hand. How crude. I hunt with a Winchester model 94 every year. I have the first Macintosh computer with the black and white screen and the dot matrix printer. Maybe I should update. I like the simple lifestyle and the ability to fix what I have. My wife always tells people that the first thing I ever taught her was how to pull the hemi and completely dissemble it and then rebuild it and then move on to the tranny and rear end. We’re still going strong after 64 years. Too late for me to change.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
I replaced my Coleman propane lantern with a GE from Costco, it’s only 550 lumens but it does a great job on the picnic table without blinding you. The price is right and battery life has been great on a set of Duracells. I have some rechargeable lanterns as well but this one I don’t have to worry about.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Enbri...4210/206210770
Wow 6 D batteries. Reminds me of the Boom Boxes from back in the day.. LOL
odinjunior is offline   Reply With Quote