Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Since no one has mentioned it I want to be sure you are aware that there are infrared (IR) and radio frequency (RF) controlled LED light strips. I have IR, but think that RF would be better since you do not have to be line-of-sight with the remote and controller to adjust their brightness or color. We do not use the other effects.
I also mounted our led strip in a 45 degree aluminum channel which I placed high under the awning.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #30

This was my old setup. Lots of colours to choose from my wife loves purple. Can be super dim or super bright and came on with the security light. Kids didn't trip on sharp things and since lots of people asked about them I'm sure didn't ruin anyone's weekend with them. New fifthwheel will have them underneath on the frame and inside the outdoor kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	123081  
Old 04-04-2016, 12:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
Note to self: never name a thread "opinions on..." if what you really want are product recommendations to meet YOUR NEEDS. Wow!
So far we have, in no particular order, gaudy, loud,
dingle berries, carousel, trinkets, tin horn newbie, trashy and cheap. Why not just tell the OP his wife and kids are ugly too. Last I looked we all get to camp the way we like. It's no wonder more younger people aren't getting into RV'S with all the judgement that gets thrown around. We all have our likes and dislikes and it should be up to each of us to facilitate those without belittling others. If I was that unhappy with lights I would certainly be a boondocker exclusively.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:26 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
dingle berries, carousel, trinkets, tin horn newbie, trashy and cheap. Why not just tell the OP his wife and kids are ugly too. Last I looked we all get to camp the way we like. It's no wonder more younger people aren't getting into RV'S with all the judgement that gets thrown around. We all have our likes and dislikes and it should be up to each of us to facilitate those without belittling others. If I was that unhappy with lights I would certainly be a boondocker exclusively.
RichH
excellent post sir! X2
Old 04-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
The OP asked for opinions, and there have been plenty, for and against. Some people are just a bit more eloquent then others. :-)

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I've always liked some exterior lighting outside the rv. Yes we had "dingle berry" lights for years. The "porch light" just doesn't provide enough lighting to play games, read or eat by. We live outside our rig so for us lighting is a must. Our lights aren't super bright or intrusive in any way. How much light can a string of Christmas lights put out anyway? We are considering dimmable led lights on our new rig. Personally, I like walking around looking at all the unique and fun lighting people come up with. Enjoy!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:55 AM   #35
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
dingle berries, carousel, trinkets, tin horn newbie, trashy and cheap. Why not just tell the OP his wife and kids are ugly too.
RichH
He asked our opinion --- and he got it. They are all personal beliefs. A quick look, it appears most aren't in the added lights camp though
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:12 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
He asked our opinion --- and he got it. They are all personal beliefs. A quick look, it appears most aren't in the added lights camp though
As always, the people that are against something or dislike something are always the loudest and most vocal. I like looking at the different lights and can take a walk when I want to see the stars.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #37

I have lights on mine because I do more outside than just sit by the fire. It's also a safety thing for the grandkids while they run around and play.

Do what you want OP!
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #38

I did an adhesive LED strip light just under the awning and hooked it into the switch for the outside light. I did a write up on how it was installed Link
rwbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #39

Yes, the OP did get opinions, unfortunately, they weren't on the subject he was asking about. If he had asked about good restaurants would anyone have asked him about his weight, cholesterol or sugar levels? He was asking about types of lights and where/how to install them, not if you approved of them. I am also interested in installing some LED's under my awning and was looking forward to learning something about the available products and installation techniques and how to avoid disturbing the neighbors. Instead, a lot of what I saw was personal opinion on having lights at all. Fortunately, with the way most RV sites are laid out, my lights would be on the side opposite of my neighbors door and patio and should not impact them enough to draw all of this vitriol and insults. Live and let live and if one doesn't like how the neighbors live it is time to move on. I would still like some info on products and install techniques BTW.
RichH
Old 04-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #40

Always fun to read threads and how they sometimes take a few different sub courses along the way!

On one hand, I understand the outside lighting issue for those who are sitting outside, especially with families are those that are not as sure footed as they once were! Good safety.

On the other hand, I know for those that are looking for as dark a sky as possible to maximize star gazing, the extra lights become a problem. One thing I've noticed in many different campgrounds, as that many will leave on their outside lights all night, even after they have gone back into the unit. Assume some just forget to turn them off, possibly some feel they are helping keep critters away too.

On underneath the coach lighting. Many veterans say it is a way to also scare of the critters from taking home in their RV's. Have never read any actual studies that reflect this, so not sure if is just a Camping Lore item that is continued by many!

Some of the lighting both on ground and on awnings and elsewhere have that disco flavor. Others have a theme color along with their pink flamingo's. And of course, others have the zero lighting technique of our darkness... It's part of the RV'ing experience, and unless otherwise restricted by campground rules (Some star gazing campgrounds do make a point of asking campers to avoid excessive lighting.), I follow the 'Live, and let live.' approach.

That being said, if it's 11:00PM and strobe lights are flashing along with the deep base Boom/Boom/Boom sounds - I will either go ask them to please tone it down. Or if it's a group that I feel are not longer able to be receptive to a polite conversation, go to the people responsible for the campground and ask them to coordinate it's resolution. (Two times in 12 or so year, so for sure the exception. One was 21st birthday celebration, so it was not until I was afraid someone was going to get hurt from doing what 19-early 20's men do, that I asked for intervention.) The second time the two couples rolled into the camp around 10:30PM, and were still letting off steam at 1:30PM - with zero consideration for those around them.)

We have not lights at this time, may add some down the road if we see a need for them. And have no problem with those that want to light up their areas all that they want. (Well, yep, I do sometimes then need to go elsewhere for stargazing!) But that is OK.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #41

I am with you Smitty live and let live. I never want to be the "issue" at any campground and always try to be courteous and respectful. I just ordered my lights and added a dimmer so they don't have to be any brighter than necessary for the task at hand. I will not, however, stumble around in the dark, run noisy and smelly propane/Coleman lanterns that have virtually no directional control over the way light is cast or sit in the dark just because someone else thinks that is the only way to camp.
For the OP here is what I bought Recpro™ RV 16' White LED Awning Party Light w Mounting Channel White PCB | eBay I also added the hard wired dimmer. I like the fact that they are in a channel and also made in Indiana, my original home state. I don't need any remote controls or multi-colored light shows. If you like I will post a report after I install them this weekend.
RichH
RichH
Old 04-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
thanks RWbradley for the helpful link. I'm passing that onto my dh. I don't think we can utilize our porch light to tie external lites into. Glad you showed a great option.

Tags
awning, lights