Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To give an answer to the op's original question, I have rope lighting that snaps into a tube that goes in the accessory rail on my awning tube. I like it because it is a warmer light than the new led's and is less obtrusive to others. The only draw back is they are 110v and I have to run an extension cord to them which I manage to run/hide along the awning arm. Also have to take them down when retracting awning. All in all, they work well and give off a pleasant light. I do however want to get some led's which I will mount just below the awning on the wall of the rv. That way I can use them with the awning deployed or retracted. I also like having the light under the coach, think it looks neat but might do that in red or blue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 02:17 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Why would you want to outlaw what someone else wants just because it differs with your idea of camping? I will never understand the thought process of wanting to ban something just because it doesnt align with your thoughts or beliefs which are obviously more important than others. Live and let live.

Every campground has rules and restrictions. No one lives in a "do whatever you want without concern for others" world. No generators after dark, no unleashed dogs, etc. I'd be surprised if there was campground anywhere that didn't have restrictions based on someone's idea of how others should behave.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
You seem to have missed the part where someone asked for opinions, which I offered. I don't believe I initiated any legislation restricting anyone from doing anything.

You gotta wonder why somebody would take exception to people discussing the posted topic in a discussion group. Talk about telling others how to live their life by your own values. Physician heal thyself and all that.
OP asked for opinions on what kind to use and pro's and con of them, not if they should use them.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #60

I have been searching for some outdoor lighting for some weeks. So many choices and hard to decide without seeing them in person. Today my lights arrived and I have to say I am very pleased. They are IP 68 rated and sit inside of a u-channel that will mount under the awning. I also bought the dimmer with it to keep the lights at an appropriate level. I did not buy a remote control dimmer as I didn't have a need for that. Fired them up this evening and am really pleased. I bought them at Recpro™ RV 16' White LED Awning Party Light w Mounting Channel White PCB | eBay One of my main requirements was native 12v and these fit the bill perfectly. Can't wait to see them installed this weekend.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
I have been searching for some outdoor lighting for some weeks. So many choices and hard to decide without seeing them in person. Today my lights arrived and I have to say I am very pleased. They are IP 68 rated and sit inside of a u-channel that will mount under the awning. I also bought the dimmer with it to keep the lights at an appropriate level. I did not buy a remote control dimmer as I didn't have a need for that. Fired them up this evening and am really pleased. I bought them at Recpro™ RV 16' White LED Awning Party Light w Mounting Channel White PCB | eBay One of my main requirements was native 12v and these fit the bill perfectly. Can't wait to see them installed this weekend.
RichH
I think you will be happy with them, even if others are not.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Us full timers like to go from "City" mode to "Country" mode and back again as the spirit hits us. We go camping sometimes but mostly we are just living like all you stix and brix rvers. Gotta love the on/off switch.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
Us full timers like to go from "City" mode to "Country" mode and back again as the spirit hits us. We go camping sometimes but mostly we are just living like all you stix and brix rvers. Gotta love the on/off switch.

That's a good point I hadn't considered before. Most of the full timers I met are staying long term at independent parks. I only specifically remember one full timer I met in a national park and he was a professional wildlife photographer.

I'm sure there must have be others, but I never noticed the distinction before. I will have to start paying attention in the future. Thanks for the perspective.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
Note to self: never name a thread "opinions on..." if what you really want are product recommendations to meet YOUR NEEDS. Wow!
Wow that was a helpful comment.....not
Old 04-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look again. Looks like most are in the "tastful" lights camp. Nobody wants airport runway lights or ANYthing blinking.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks. We just finished 3 months boondocking in Quartzsite, AZ and when boondocking we rerely use ornamental light because we are on solar and generator for electric. When the campground has others decorating, we decorate. When the camp has no other rvs with lights we don't use ours. Mostly just change our habits to fit in with the "flavor" of the campground (or desert clearing)

Old 04-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #67

Quote:
Nobody wants airport runway lights or ANYthing blinking.
Apparently some people DO!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #68

Please no. There's length of light at home,
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #69
EV2

Quote:
Wow that was a helpful comment.....not
And, this was? Really?
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Awning lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Others will disagree with me but I am not a fan of exterior accent lights. When I'm camping I prefer looking at the stars or a campfire.
I agree. They are obnoxious and an intrusion. So are the ones on the ground. If i wanted all these lights around inwould go to a stadium.
Magnum108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, lights