Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #1

Options you don't need.

We are very excited to be getting our new Seneca. While most of the options are cool there are some things we can do without. So, what do you do?
Ask the dealer not to install them to start with?, take them out and store them until you sell? Other ideas?

We have taken stuff out and pitched them which turns out to not be a very good idea if you ever want to trade the rig in or sell it.

For example:
Removed the dinette table and benches , replaced with cabinets
Offed the jackknife couch, installed banquette.
Did away with the extra tv's. Who in the world needs 3 tv's?
Cheap batteries to dependably run this rig off-grid.
And other things.

Thanks!
Semi-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #2

We have never bought an RV for the purpose of resale so when we do buy we order it our way if buying new and I modify it to suit our needs & desires, whatever that happens to be. If you keep as long as we do, resale isn't a significant issue. The least we have kept an RV has been 6 years, the most 14 years.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
People are different but manufacturers try to include stuff most of us use. Glad you're saving some things you took out. The average for rv ownership is between 3 and 5 years...eventually you'll sell it. With us- we just don't use some of the things our rig came with (but I know many do). Sat. dish, swiveling driver/pass. seats, outside shower, numerous interior lights.

Enjoy your Seneca
Old 06-09-2021, 02:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Hex View Post
While most of the options are cool there are some things we can do without. So, what do you do?
Ask the dealer not to install them to start with?, take them out and store them until you sell? Other ideas?
You're using the word 'options'. Options were things added when we bought ours and they were an added cost. If we didn't want an option we just didn't order it that way.

Do you mean standard items that you didn't pay extra for? If so, saving them for re-sale doesn't make sense if, for instance, what you did for your dining is well-done and suitable to show when you sell. If you had taken out the dining item and put in a card table and chairs then, yes, I would have saved the original.

In your case I would have tried to sell them rather than tossing them out. Did you toss the TVs also?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Many people think that everyone camps the same way they do. If that were true, there would only be one or two floorplans and three different lengths. Just because you don't like or won't use an option, doesn't mean that 1000's of others don't like it.

Our coach came with one item that I know, a HIGH percentage of the Newmar owners immediately removed. We removed it on both of our Dutch Stars. It was a swivel desk, attached to the side of the front passenger seat. It was heavy, never used, and guaranteed to rip the skin off of your ankle as you entered the coach.

With that said, Newmar continues to install them. Even though we hate it, I removed it, bagged it up and put it in the rafters of our house. It will be there when the next owner buys our coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #6

These all sound like standard items included with the coach. Whether you keep removed items or not is a personal decision. When selling, people might like your changes, or they might not.

When we ordered our coach, we deleted X-ite radio, 360 camera system, auto shades, and sever others. It was about a 30K savings and allowed us to get the exact coach we wanted without the fluff we didn't want.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
It sounds like you’re lucky enough to be buying a brand new coach off of a lot. It’s going to come how it’s built and there’s not much you can do about it. If you want to have a say in how it’s built, order one from the factory through the dealer rather than buying it off the lot.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:12 PM   #8

I have 4 TV's in my rig and Im not sure if 3 of them even work as I have never turned them on and I rarely use the main one. Thats about the only thing in my rig I could do without.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:51 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We have 4 TVs and I still do not know how they work. We use paper plates, but have a very nice dishwasher.
Since I have no satellite box or subscription, my in-motion satellite dome is rather useless.
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #10

Thank you all!
We did buy off the lot (at least when it shows up) and not from the factory. It seems when you mention for example, that you don't use the microwave or oven, the first thing they say is "the next owners will love it". It makes you think you are making a huge mistake. As @SPK Kirk says we want to make it our own.

We will save most of the stuff we remove unless the dealer want to credit us (like the four six volt batteries).
Semi-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:31 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a new coach!
What did you get?
Oh you know.
One with all those useless things you really don't need.
Oh right I have one of those too!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Hex View Post
Thank you all!
We did buy off the lot (at least when it shows up) and not from the factory. It seems when you mention for example, that you don't use the microwave or oven, the first thing they say is "the next owners will love it". It makes you think you are making a huge mistake. As @SPK Kirk says we want to make it our own.

We will save most of the stuff we remove unless the dealer want to credit us (like the four six volt batteries).
Just be sure, You can fill both tanks from one side, A real PIB to move to another side to fill.
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote