Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ordered a Mr Heater - Buddy

Off Amazon...$80 for the 4000-7000 BTU one. I also ordered the adaptor to re-fill the green 1lb bottles. The fan was draining my batteries too much when dry camping in winter, and using the forced-air heater.

Seek Opinions: I think opening the kitchen window about 2" (or 3") is enough to get some fresh air in, so the O2 doesn't get used up, and we don't wake up.

I am planning on setting the heater on the counter at that window, so the air coming in will get heated, and the heater can use that O2 to burn with.

I don't like the idea of opening the roof vent, and letting the hot air out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #2

Wow! I'd be sure the CO2 detector is working.................. JB
pivotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #3

Carbon monoxide would be a worry. Does your mh have a co detector?
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Yep, I have a good CO2 detector...in the bedroom. Maybe I'd put it in the front, closer to the heater, just in case.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
Off Amazon...$80 for the 4000-7000 BTU one. I also ordered the adaptor to re-fill the green 1lb bottles. The fan was draining my batteries too much when dry camping in winter, and using the forced-air heater.

Seek Opinions: I think opening the kitchen window about 2" (or 3") is enough to get some fresh air in, so the O2 doesn't get used up, and we don't wake up.

I am planning on setting the heater on the counter at that window, so the air coming in will get heated, and the heater can use that O2 to burn with.

I don't like the idea of opening the roof vent, and letting the hot air out.
mr300ce
I've been using a Buddy Heater for 6-7 years, (usually from an outside 20# tank on the ground with a hose running in a window).
I'm sure you will like it, but placing it on the floor heats the space better. Replacing the 1# bottle every 3 hrs. gets real old, (real quick).
A 20# tank lasts 60 hrs. on high.

BTW, The Buddy Heater and the Big Buddy have an oxygen depletion system (ODS) that automatically shuts off the heater if the oxygen level is reduced below acceptable standards within an enclosed area.

Mel
96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Oh good. Is the 20# bottle the 5 gal one. I have 2 of those. I guess I should get the hose and filter. I was thinking about tapping into the stove with a valve and a T fitting for the hose. Then I would not need the filter, as the pressure is regulated to the stove.

I could just hook into the fitting whenever I want to use the Mr Heater.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #7

I would crack the roof vent too.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got a 12 x 12 Solderite Board to place under my ceramic heater so it does not get hot right below the heater. This is a great insulation device. This way I don't have to worry about the area around the heater getting too hot.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #9

I have a couple of these heaters and they work great. The propane supply needs to be from the tank unregulated. Can't hook in at your stove. A 20# tank or extend-a-stay works. I usually let in a little air someplace. They do have O2 sensors to shut off if O2 levels are too low.
The gadget to refill the 15oz bottles is a royal pain and will only fill to 50-60% when I did it and most of them leaked that out. I even put the bottles in the freezer before filling.
Just my experience.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
The gadget to refill the 15oz bottles is a royal pain and will only fill to 50-60% when I did it and most of them leaked that out. I even put the bottles in the freezer before filling. Just my experience.
Buddy of mine has a propane business and when I told him I bought one he told me to throw it away and cut my losses. The 1lb bottles are not designed to be refilled. If they where they would have a vapor release valve to allow liquid to flow in. I gave it a try anyway and after two bottles I cut my losses. Buy the hose and attach it to the 20 lb bottle. This way you won't lose so much cash. You connect an unregulated hose with a disposable filter to the refillable (20 lb and up) propane bottle. The filter is to keep oil's out of the heaters catalytic system. Mr Heater makes them. You can use the heaters indoors with the 1 lb bottles. However, refillable propane containers are not to be brought indoors. Leave those bottles outside and run supply hose inside. Do not to use unattended (or unconscious).

You can use the Mr. Heater indoors, as long as a window or roof vent is available. Have one of those open for ventilation. The catalytic process produces very little CO as compared to traditional propane appliances. Read the directions and stay warm.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #11

I have an extend-a-stay that I use for my outside grill. Bit the bullet and drilled a hole under the sink cabinet to pull the hose through. Now I pull propane from the main tank. I KNOW you shouldn't have high pressure devices inside. This is just how I do it. A separate 20# bottle is convenient to refill and can be used with the with extend-a-stay to supplement your supply if you want to deal with the extra tank. I don't boondock a lot, but Mr. Buddy goes with me when we do. I have the one that will take two bottles and has two grids. It also has a battery powered fan. I think it came with a filter.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #12

Thumbs up

I have the Buddy Jr. (about four years now) and the newly bought Big Buddy (now labeled "Tough Buddy") - both work great. As the big central heat/air in my house has finally bit the big one, I am using a couple larger electric room heaters, and the buddy heaters to augment the on the current frigid days. 22 degrees in north Florida this AM, and will be about the same tomorrow. Had no problem. Used the one pound tanks, though I do have a few 20lb and one 40lb tank.
When I get my old Ford van fully converted for camping, one of the Buddy heaters will be in it fulltime, hooked to the 20lb tanks.

Don't order a Buddy heater from Cabelas..... whoowee, they are proud of them! I got mine from Lowes - much cheaper!
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I also dry camp in winter and I've been using the 4000 to 9000 BTU unit in my 25 foot Avion at night. I use the 20 lb bottles and they last several weeks. I run the unit mostly at night. I run it on low and it keeps the trailer comfortable in temps in the teens. I keep a CO monitor in the sleeping area. I crack the galley window about 2 inches and crack the overhead vent in the sleeping area for fresh air. There is a propane manifold under the trailer and I plan to disconnect the line to the forced air furnace and tap into an unregulated supply of propane to run the Lil Buddy. I think you will be pleased if you adapt to a large propane bottle.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Replacing the 1# bottle every 3 hrs. gets real old, (real quick). A 20# tank lasts 60 hrs. on high.
Mel
96 Safari

What happens when it runs out after 3 hours? Does the heater just shut itself off?
Gandalara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater