Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jo
Check this site out, great info and great pics of what to expect in Oregon

Menu—California, Oregon and Washington Coast Highway Videos—Driving The Wonderful Ones

Larry/Vancouver, WA
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #16

My goodness, thank you all so very much. I really appreciate the great tips and valuable information.
We are getting anxious to get on the road.
I have been researching all your information and enjoying it.

I think we are really going to enjoy this trip.

Thnx again everyone.
Jo
Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Tonight is the last night of our two weeks on the PNW coast and we didn't have reservations for a single night. State parks are great and some don't accept reservations so if you travel during the week you have a good shot at getting a nice spot. Cape Blanco and Washburne are our two favorite state parks so far.

We're currently in Gold Beach near the Rogue River and spent 6 hours today taking the 80 mile jet boat trip up the river. I would highly recommend it.

If you do go into northern California the Giant Redwoods are a must see and do your homework on hwy 1 before taking your rig on it.

Have fun.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #18

Our trip up the West Coast was several years ago. We started just north of San Francisco and went as far north as Port Townsend and north of Seattle.

We did drive a lot on highway 1 - with a 35' Bounder and toad. Since we were heading north, we were on the land side, not on the water (and cliff) side. Was not a problem. We didn't drive during commuting hours, though there's not that much commuting there anyhow. We went around some of the sharp bends at under 15 mph, and pulled out when we could. I can't remember ever being honked at.

Best regards,

Hack
--//--
ehhackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you were talking about Long Bridge at Sandpoint, Idaho, there is no problem with it. I was just there last week.

The only problems in Sandpoint are due to the construction of the Hwy 95 bypass around downtown. The configuration changes nearly every week but has never been difficult for me with my 36 ft DP plus toad. Keep in mind that 95 is a major trucking route so any detour must be ok for semis with trailers up to 53 ft. Your rig will be fine there.

If you like (more) mountains another beautiful route is to cross into Washington at Oroville. Then you can take North Cascades Hwy, or take Hwy 2 over Stevens Pass to get to the coast.

Or you can just follow Hwy 97 all the way to the Columbia River about 100 miles east of Portland. It is all good road.

Have a great trip!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We made the trip north on 101 last year all the way to Port Angeles, WA from Fort Braggs, CA. It was a great trip. The only problem you might have is the Labor Day holiday. It is a major holiday in the US.

Have a great trip.
George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #21

This road is a piece of cake; you want a thrill; try the gone to the sun road in glacer nationel park. If that road don't get your blood moveing nothing will.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Oregon Coast is a destination extravaganza NOT TO BE MISSED. Don't know I would bother to go any further South than far Northern Calif Coast.

Are you Thousand Trails Members ? Many along Washington/Oregon Coast. Throw in RPI and reservations are not a worry, ever !

Envy you the trip and soon as I can get DW to "trust" the M/H again we will be headed out to God's Perfect Country !
Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #23
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bordercrossing ports

From Canada to WA cross (if you can) via SUMAS (Abbotsford). Takes only minutes. Maybe a bit longer for RV'rs. Fill your groceries in Lynden, WA on the way to Bellingham.
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
This road is a piece of cake; you want a thrill; try the gone to the sun road in glacer nationel park. If that road don't get your blood moveing nothing will.
Holy Cow..did that last year and NEVER AGAIN. It is beautiful for what I could see when my eyes were open
At first I thought this is so awesome. Especially the Lightning strike...wow
But the fear that set in later up that road was unreal What a trip !!!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #25

Hello,

From Edmonton, I would take the Coquihilla Highway and cross into WA at Sumas, WA. Head down I-5 thru Seattle and Tacoma (middle of day is best - don't be afraid of Seattle. Yes traffic can be heavy, but I-5 has a lot of lanes and many rv's, trucks, cars pass through, just go mid day or later in the evening and no problem) and catch Hiway 101 south just West of Olympia. Stay a few days on the Long Beach Peninsula, and try to stay at Cape Disappointment State Park. It is a great park and a great location. This is the end of the Lewis and Clark Trail. There is a museum near there, and lighthouse. You can day trip over to Astoria and go to the Columbia River Maritime Museum. It is definately worth it. Continue your trip down the OR coast. If you are a golfer, Bandon Dunes is a must. This is comparable in quality to Pebble Beach, but lynx courses. I believe they just opened the 4th course there.

We have done the trip from Seattle to Jasper then Edmonton and it is a great highway. Also the WA and OR coasts are wonderful for RV'ing. take your time and have a great trip!
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #26

Just finished a trip down the Oregon Coast with our 12 year old Granddaughter. The giant dune buggy ride at Sandland Adventurs in Florence was a big hit. Spectactular views. Also Tillamuck Cheese Factory (make sure you go on a weekday when the factory is operating-have tours 7 days a week). Nice aquarimum in Newport and of course the Sea Lion Caves. No shortage of things to see or do on the Oregon Coast
Coachmanjay
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #27

Being an Oregonian I could say the trip is not worth it. But that would be very selfish and I pretty big lie. You're invited as long as you pronounce it properly.
Oregon=Orygun

Enjoy
Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Jet Boat trips on the Rogue River are fantastic. We have done the trip from Grants pass twice and the one from Gold Beach once. Two totally different trips but we plan on doing them both again. ATV rentals are available along the Coast in the Oregon Dunes. As mentioned above, a tour of the Tillamook Cheese Factory is excellent. They make the best Ice Cream!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote