Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
OSM Lithium Batteries

Has anyone purchased and used a Lithium battery from OSMbattery.com?

I would love to hear from someone on the quality.

Thanks
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What sort of brand "quality" measures are you looking for? I don't think anybody has had their 12v lithiums long enough to give meaningful feedback on years of life or reliability, so it seems to me that purchase choice comes down to dollars per amp-hour and maybe the features of the built-in Battery Management System (BMS). They all have fairly standard BMS charge capabilities, but some claim to do more, e.g. Battle Born.

The reviews and personal use reports I see all seem to focus on how great they are vs lead-acid, but that doesn't help evaluate one lithium brand vs another.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
What sort of brand "quality" measures are you looking for? I don't think anybody has had their 12v lithiums long enough to give meaningful feedback on years of life or reliability, so it seems to me that purchase choice comes down to dollars per amp-hour and maybe the features of the built-in Battery Management System (BMS). They all have fairly standard BMS charge capabilities, but some claim to do more, e.g. Battle Born.

The reviews and personal use reports I see all seem to focus on how great they are vs lead-acid, but that doesn't help evaluate one lithium brand vs another.
I agree that Lithium is by far better that flooded or AGM. I was hoping to find someone that purchased the brand OSM and could report on initial quality. They should last 5 to 10 years, but I am more concerned about assembly quality, ie. did they stop working (broke BMS, failed crimp, etc) after bouncing down the road for a few thousand miles.
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #4

I'd be interested in the answer also. I have tried to understand the differences between Battle Born (Also sells under the Dragon Fly name) and Ampere Time. Also trying to get a better handle on the need for Battle Born's internal heater versus an external heater or non at all.

OSM has the best price I've seen though. I think almost all Lithium batteries buy their prismatic cells from one plant in China. The BMS and support though could vary from one to another.

Do we really need to spend $1000 for a 12V 100 amp hour lithium battery? Has anybody used brands other than Battle Born / Dragon Fly?
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was hoping to find someone that purchased the brand OSM and could report on initial quality.
I got that, but that level of product experience is going to be rare at this time. Maybe you will get lucky and someone will have at least several months of OSM experience under their belt.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Do we really need to spend $1000 for a 12V 100 amp hour lithium battery? Has anybody used brands other than Battle Born / Dragon Fly?"

+++++++++++

No on $1000.

Yes on other brands.

BigBattery.com 24v 4.4KWh. The cost with free shipping was 33 cents per Wh compared to 74 cents for Battle Born. My 4 batteries are mounted between the frame rails and are the equivalent of 14 Battle Borns.

Does OSM have any sales network in the US ?
Don't think so.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #7

These folks are in China, Shenzchen to be exact. I'm thinking that support may be an issue. I also don't see any 12 volt products on their product page. If you are interested in LiFePo batteries you need to spend a lot of time at Will Prowse's channel on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj...q8kmJme-5dnN0Q There are links on there to his web site. He dissects batteries to see what he thinks about them. There are a lot of alternatives to Battle Born, although Will does speak highly of them. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:02 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on Will Prowse.

He gives lots of insight about products and how to sort the good from the bad. The point being, some stuff is good/great and some is junk. All of it is expensive. I don't think you want to "go boldly where no man has gone before".

You only want to buy these things once.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjetlag View Post
X2 on Will Prowse.

He gives lots of insight about products and how to sort the good from the bad. The point being, some stuff is good/great and some is junk. All of it is expensive. I don't think you want to "go boldly where no man has gone before".

You only want to buy these things once.
I bought my batteries on Amazon early last year. Three 200 amp batteries. So far, no issues, worked as advertised, and I can vouch for them producing full capacity.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #10

Is the OSM battery available from a domestic supplier? The grammar on their website might lead one to believe that the customer service department could be an interesting experience.

If a cell or battery goes bad, where do you return the bad unit?

There are other options available for less than $1000/kWh. I recently purchased some Lion Energy UT 1300’s for $700/ea. That works out to $520/kWh.

It isn’t the cheapest option or the most expensive, but it fit in the comfort zone for a high quality product with a great warranty at a reasonable price.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We ended up with LifeBlue batteries. Excellent support. They provided the exact settings for our on-board converter and solar charging system since they were familiar with many of the more common setups. We wanted an internal heating system since we travel so frequently in cool climates, and that does cost more. It also helps I know people who have had this specific battery for 4 years.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:06 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Allegedly, Battle Born is putting together a new 200Ah battery.

It won't be cheap, but market leadership usually isn't.

++++++

As for everything else, Prowse claims the 3.2v cells are mostly the same and are made in a few factories. The BMS quality/feature level is much more variable. Some batteries can be serviced to replace a bad cell, if need be.

Tags
batteries, lithium