Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
The problem with the other roads is the lights. I despise roads where the speed limit is 50 (or more) and there are stoplights. I watch the lights like a hawk, including gauging "staleness," but when I'm in an area I'm not familiar with, I just can't predict when they're going to change. It's fine in a car, but not in a 40-foot motorhome with a toad.
This is absolutely true, especially on US30 in Indiana, where this incident took place. I don't know why I moved to the left lane but I'm glad I did.
The speed limit through there was 60 or 65 mph, these guys were doing 70 at least.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Yellow light allows first driver legal access to intersection. Second and third truck following close behind first truck are actually running the red light but since there was no time for a crossing vehicle to enter intersection between the trucks the chance of accident is reduced. A car stopped at a red light does not have the right to run into a object in the intersection regardless of the color of the light or who is right!
But how about someone crossing the intersection at 45mph, sees they have the green and blammo! Remember there was about a 7 second interval between the time the light turned red and the third truck blew through.
Maybe there was a delay before turning green, but judging from the expressions and gestures of the people at the light waiting to proceed, I don't think so.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
As with all drivers there are idiots. As a truck driver for 20+ years in a state with tons of tourists AND being an rv'er, I have seen my share of dopes on both sides. I'm not saying the truckers in question were right in their actions at all. But when I see someone pull out in front of an 80,000 plus pound semi thinking "oh they will slow down for us or we have the right to be on the road too", then they fall into the same catagory as the truckers in question in MHO. Enough ranting on this subject from just another " dumb truck driver" 😃
gonecampin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #18

I suspect the crazy traffic, tolls and endless construction across the top of the state is pushing the truck traffic to US30. At one time I thought that it was a more relaxed way to get across three states, I guess all good things come to an end.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #19

Whenever this topic comes up there's always a few who say they are truckers and there are bonehead RVers too. That may be true but in no way excuses the total disregard for others displayed by most truckers so those statement are really worthless information.

There may be a few professional truck drivers out there but I don't think I've seen any in the last 20 years or so.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Whenever this topic comes up there's always a few who say they are truckers and there are bonehead RVers too. That may be true but in no way excuses the total disregard for others displayed by most truckers so those statement are really worthless information.

There may be a few professional truck drivers out there but I don't think I've seen any in the last 20 years or so.
That is a pretty bold statement, and is probably the complete opposite of my experience and viewpoint. I feel comfortable around the over the road guys and gals and I can usually depend on them to smoothly drive their rigs in all kinds of traffic.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #21

Did the math a few years back, (a buddy rear ended a stopped semi, was calculating how long he had to see the break lights). It takes 9 seconds for a loaded semi under the best conditions to come to a complete stop. That doesn't count for perception and reaction time.
Matfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #22

I'm the slower vehicle in the right lane that all with uncontrollable hurries avoid.
They pass me!
I don't race.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #23

A friend of mine, who's family business is a very high-end food, pharmaceuticals and valuable temperature critical trucking company explained it to me recently;

We used to have 'professional drivers', nowadays there are a few 'professional drivers', some 'competent drivers' and a LOT of 'steering wheel holders'.

When I asked how to tell them apart from a distance, his reply was simply (most highways around here are minimum 3 lanes wide) "Professional drivers have turn signals, brake pedals, clutches and accelerators, and they use them, the 'steering wheel holders' just fall asleep in the middle lane."
Old 08-09-2017, 07:13 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can sympathize with you baraff. We just returned from a coast to coast trip, something we haven't done in about 25 years. Things are much different now. Truckers were more courteous 25 years ago. I can't count how many truckers on our recent trip passed me just so they could get in front of me and slow down. On wide open stretches I kept my cruise control set at 67 MPH and stayed to the right. Truckers hate being behind an RV. On each leg of our trip, I would have at least one truck pass me and then drop their speed below mine. If you wanna drive 65, why pass a vehicle doing 67? Real annoying if you're trying to keep your speed set with cruise control. I've never driven a truck, so they may have the same complaint about RVers, but I didn't have a single RVer do this to me.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #25

While I will agree that there are some incompetent truck drivers out there in my experience the majority are professional and courteous. I just made a roundtrip up and down a long stretch of I-81 which is notorious as a major north/south truck route. I had no issues with trucks at all. I can't say the same for the RVs. It seems that many think that 80-85 MPH is their own personnel speed limit. Left lane blocked by traffic? Just move over a lane. Using a turn signal would waste time. Have a triple axle 5th wheel and only a Ford F-150. Go for it. It will maybe stop in an emergency. In my opinion there are more people driving or pulling RVs, by percentage, who shouldn't be on the road than truckers. We just notice them because there are far more trucks on the road.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most truckers just don't care anymore about others, no different than the rest of society.
Running 50MPH in a school zone, blasting the air horns and running a red, tailgating and a general lack of training.

Glas the OP is around to tell the story, many aren't.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Wait till all these truckers retire and buy an RV! I trucked for 30 plus years and have rved for several. I have seen many boneheads on both sides of the fence.
You can't drive anything down the road without being vigilant every minute. I just relax and try to stay out of the way.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:34 AM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
X2 slickest1.