Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Our story on selling our Motorhome

I think I am a fool,

We put our 1996 Georgie Boy on consignment at Route 66 RV in Claremore OK.
They said that we should get about $7500 for it.
They had it about month or so, then called and said they had a buyer and our part would be $6000 we said ok. We only payed $8000 for it and put about 26,000 mile on it in 3 year that we had it.
A few weeks later I got a note from the new owner, he had some questions about it so I called him. After we talked about it, I ask him how much he paid for it and he said $13,5000, I about fell on the floor.

I think the dealer ripped us off. In my opinion it was unethical for them to make that much profit.
I'm sure there isn't anything I can do about it. We bought the motorhome from them and they seamed like nice people so I trusted them to sell it for us, wrong.

Thank for listening,
John
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #2

At least you're not the guy who paid $13,500 for an $8000 motorhome!

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It may seem wrong, but it's business. Dealers want to make as much profit as possible & if they can they will. No matter what you turn in to a dealer, they'll do the minimum to get it out on their lot for a much higher price than what they paid for it. Sounds more like to me, the buyer didn't do their due diligence & know how much it should sell for.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to file a report on your experience with them on this site. It might help somebody else down the line.

Ripoff Report | Scams, reviews, complaints, lawsuits and frauds. File a report, post your review. Consumers educating consumers.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First of all did you have a written contract for the deal stating what was offered and what was to be expected?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Seems like you are due $1500 from the dealer
Old 02-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #7

All things considered you did pretty good, in that it cost you less than $700 a year for that MH. Why did you accept the $6,000 since they had told you that you would get around $7,500 ?
Old 02-07-2017, 10:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
All things considered you did pretty good, in that it cost you less than $700 a year for that MH. Why did you accept the $6,000 since they had told you that you would get around $7,500 ?
The way I took that was, the seller was agreeing to $1,500.00 as dealer commission on $7,500.00.

Regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 PM   #9

This is a normal markup.
Dealers and sales people need to eat too
Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #10

I think the new owner overpaid. We sold our 1996 Georgie Boy last year for $8500.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1 View Post
I think I am a fool,

We put our 1996 Georgie Boy on consignment at Route 66 RV in Claremore OK.
They said that we should get about $7500 for it.
They had it about month or so, then called and said they had a buyer and our part would be $6000 we said ok. We only payed $8000 for it and put about 26,000 mile on it in 3 year that we had it.
A few weeks later I got a note from the new owner, he had some questions about it so I called him. After we talked about it, I ask him how much he paid for it and he said $13,5000, I about fell on the floor.

I think the dealer ripped us off. In my opinion it was unethical for them to make that much profit.
I'm sure there isn't anything I can do about it. We bought the motorhome from them and they seamed like nice people so I trusted them to sell it for us, wrong.

Thank for listening,
John
John, did you have a written contract with them or just a hand shake deal?
Did you give them a bottom dollar amount you would take?
Did you agree on a commission that the dealer would receive, and pay that amount up front, or just anything they could get over a certain price?

It seems to me that in reading your post, the dealer did nothing wrong? They called you and quoted you a price you would receive. You told them that was OK, so, from what i take it, 1500 was there commission for selling it for you?
They made a whopping 6000 dls. plus commission , 1500 dls, total= 7500 dls! For selling a 7500 dlr. MH, they did good!
Did you receive any paperwork?

I also sold a MH on consignment, payed a 1000 dls. up front for the dealer commission, and told him my bottom dlr amount!
I received the bottom dlr. amount! Go figure!
It was taken off the market at 2500 dls more than my bottom dlr. amount, but the dealer said he had to deduct for some things to be fixed! Right! Dealers will make as much as they can, period!

You did not have to deal with the public, same as me, and that is worth something, right there! Rail!
Old 02-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #12

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1 View Post
I think I am a fool...
why in the world would a dealer set your old consignment unit on the same lot next to his new units, but expect to make less profit then if he sold a new unit??
... and yet he has to try even harder because of the age of the unit, the condition, mileage, no warranty, etc. etc.

why should you care how much "profit" he makes since he did the legwork to sell your unit so that YOU could make a "profit" !
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:59 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If he was supposed to get a percentage of the sale price it would appear that he did not.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If he was supposed to get a percentage of the sale price it would appear that he did not.
I have never worked through a consignment company. But i thought the way it worked was that the company would get a specified percentage of what the unit ended up selling for. This percentage would be agreed upon by both parties, in writing, up front. If that agree percentage was say, 10%, then the company should have gotten 10% of what the unit sold for.

Maybe i'm missing something and/or thinking wrong but it sounds like the company made over 50% with the OP's transaction.

Tags
motorhome