Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2022, 08:29 AM   #1

Out of state delivery on used?

Hello All,
We are thinking of buying a used dp from a private owner and were wondering how out-of-state delivery would work in such a case?
Any reply greatly appreciated.
Thomas
AustroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #2

Need more details of what you are doing. I've sold RVs to people out of state and recently bought an Airstream from out of state. In the case of my recent Airstream, I drove from Florida to Virgina, paid with a bank check to the owner and then drove it home. I insured the trailer under my name, and the guy I bought it from let me drive it home using his plate and registration which I mailed back to him later. Not sure how kosher that last part is, but I had no problems.

If you are planning on financing it may be a bit more difficult. I was not able to find a bank that would give me a loan on an out of state purchase.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:42 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustroTom View Post
Hello All,
We are thinking of buying a used dp from a private owner and were wondering how out-of-state delivery would work in such a case?
Any reply greatly appreciated.
Thomas
Contact a local RV dealer in that area and ask if they could recommend somebody. Then get ready for a sticker shock when you talk to them.

One question is why you don't drive, this way you could see if there is any issues while coming back home?
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #4

Are you asking about having the seller deliver to YOU out of state? Or are you considering buying one out of state, and picking it UP out of state?

In the first situation, I wouldn't do it, as you will be responsible for any issues/things that break during the delivery, plus you lose the priceless experience of driving it home.
In the second case, provide it passes inspection by a competent RV inspector, if you aren't one yourself, you pay the seller, accept the RV, and drive home. This option could be complicated some if your home state (where you have your driver's license) requires some type of special license to drive the RV, but you may be able to take a friend who has the required license, and you will be a "learner" as you drive home under his/her supervision. Once again, a priceless opportunity to learn your coach, but check with your state laws and your insurance company to ensure compliance. Best of luck in whatever you decide!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Contact a local RV dealer in that area and ask if they could recommend somebody. Then get ready for a sticker shock when you talk to them.

One question is why you don't drive, this way you could see if there is any issues while coming back home?
It's about the sales tax, of course.
We bought our first dp new from a dealer, had it delivered to Stateline in Nevada and left it in Vegas for the period needed to make it a legal Out-of-State.
We would purchase it with a cashier check to not need a bank loan, but what happens when we register the coach at the DMV?
Old 04-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We bought our current coach in Texas from a private owner. I used a bank certified check that looked so fake, I probably would not have excepted it - the guy didn't have a problem with it. Done deal. In Texas (at the time), the tag stays with the vehicle.

With insurance, signed title and a bill of sale, we drove it to Florida - went to the DMV, paid Florida sales tax on the sale price, registered and tagged the coach, done.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
We bought our current coach in Texas from a private owner. I used a bank certified check that looked so fake, I probably would not have excepted it - the guy didn't have a problem with it. Done deal. In Texas (at the time), the tag stays with the vehicle.

With insurance, signed title and a bill of sale, we drove it to Florida - went to the DMV, paid Florida sales tax on the sale price, registered and tagged the coach, done.
That's the same in Washington. When you license it, you pay the sales tax. It may be more involved than that in some cases but, you WILL pay the sales tax for Washington.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 10:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
That's the same in Washington. When you license it, you pay the sales tax. It may be more involved than that in some cases but, you WILL pay the sales tax for Washington.
This must not be a thing anymore.
Back when we bought our first coach you were exempt from paying ca sales tax if you could prove that the vehicle spends most of its time outside of your state and have it not enter your state within 1 month after purchase.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustroTom View Post
This must not be a thing anymore.
Back when we bought our first coach you were exempt from paying ca sales tax if you could prove that the vehicle spends most of its time outside of your state and have it not enter your state within 1 month after purchase.
90 days, (not 1 month) btw
Old 04-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What address will you use for the insurance company while it is sitting out of state?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:44 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You live in California and I realize that you are trying to avoid the sales tax. My sister did this back in 2004. They bought a new DP at a California dealer and took delivery in Nevada. It had to stay out of state for 90 days....PLUS you had to show receipts that it was used during that time, including campground receipts, fuel receipts and groceries. They left the coach at a campground in Henderson Nevada that did more heat damage to the coach than the sales tax savings was worth. It melted the sat dome and ruined the roof paint prematurely.

If you elect to live in California, then you need to pay the taxes. Those taxes go to fire, police and maybe even an ambulance service you may need. I hate the taxes in this state, but if you don't like them move versus trying to circumvent them.

I'll also say that staying out of state to avoid the tax is something they look at really closely now....is it worth it?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #12

If you buy out of state and eventually decide to license it in your state, check the licensing requirements. The last two motorhomes we bought were licensed in different states and a Kentucky Fire Marshall's inspection was required to license them here. This was not a big deal, but was good to know before arriving at the license office.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You live in California and I realize that you are trying to avoid the sales tax. My sister did this back in 2004. They bought a new DP at a California dealer and took delivery in Nevada. It had to stay out of state for 90 days....PLUS you had to show receipts that it was used during that time, including campground receipts, fuel receipts and groceries. They left the coach at a campground in Henderson Nevada that did more heat damage to the coach than the sales tax savings was worth. It melted the sat dome and ruined the roof paint prematurely.

If you elect to live in California, then you need to pay the taxes. Those taxes go to fire, police and maybe even an ambulance service you may need. I hate the taxes in this state, but if you don't like them move versus trying to circumvent them.

I'll also say that staying out of state to avoid the tax is something they look at really closely now....is it worth it?
I was just asking if the laws have changed over the years. We have always paid our taxes (we own a business), and don't shy away from it either.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:20 PM   #14

I have made 2 out of state deliveries in AZ and NV. I live in CA and licensed/insured both vehicles in CA. You need a notary at the border to say you accepted delivery out of CA. You need receipts showing you used it out of state (1st time was a year, 2nd 90 days) I showed pictures of the RV garage I was building while we lived there on the weekends, showed receipts of eating, fuel etc and both times got audited by the state to try to get me to pay the sales tax. I even had a business in NV at the time and that didnt stop them. Both letters said "your request had been denied" please pay this amount. I did get out of them both with a lot of work you may not be that lucky and ever since (12 years ago) I just pay the taxes