Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Out of state purchase. Sales tax , and taking Possession of the RV at Stateline?

I live in New Mexico, I have found RV class A I would like to purchase in Arizona. I was told by the dealer I will have to take possession at the Arizona New Mexico Border . If I do not I will have to pay sales tax in Arizona and New Mexico. This would be in Lordsburg New Mexico. I was also told I would have to have some kind of notarization for something. Can anybody advise on the ins and outs of buying an RV out-of-state? It is uses at a consignment lot.
Thanks
Judy
Nonnaof Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

Interesting. I live in Indiana and travelled to Texas to by my MH. The dealer simply collected Indiana sales tax and passed it on to Indiana. Upon returning home, I registered the MH, paid those associated fees, but sales tax was already accounted for. Not sure what is so "tricky" about NM/AZ.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Interesting. I live in Indiana and travelled to Texas to by my MH. The dealer simply collected Indiana sales tax and passed it on to Indiana. Upon returning home, I registered the MH, paid those associated fees, but sales tax was already accounted for. Not sure what is so "tricky" about NM/AZ.

I checked this out and I think you are being mis-informed. Most states have a reciprocal agreement, meaning they allow one state to collect sales tax for another.
Check this link out.
https://www.azdor.gov/business/trans...iclesales.aspx

And click on
Non resident state tax rate schedule link.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Judy, I think the dealer is misinformed, I bought a used Class a in Texas, from a dealer, I paid NO Texas sales tax, upon registering it in New Mexico, I had to pay the NM state tax, which is 3%

If the dealer is misinformed on sales tax, what else is he misinformed on, you might want to take another look
Old 04-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnaof Two View Post
I live in New Mexico, I have found RV class A I would like to purchase in Arizona. I was told by the dealer I will have to take possession at the Arizona New Mexico Border . If I do not I will have to pay sales tax in Arizona and New Mexico. This would be in Lordsburg New Mexico. I was also told I would have to have some kind of notarization for something. Can anybody advise on the ins and outs of buying an RV out-of-state? It is uses at a consignment lot.
Thanks
Judy
You'll probably want a notarized bill of sale, complete with the sale price. Ask your local DMV what they require to register an RV bought out-of-state. Each state can be different. AZ might have a higher sales tax, or NM might not honor states tax paid out of state.

I bought my trailer used in Illinois and paid no sales tax there because consignment is between two private parties even though the dealer handled the paper work. A few months later, when I registered it in South Dakota I had to pay sales tax based on the purchase price, based on the bill of sale. When I registered my truck in South Dakota, I didn't have to pay sales tax because I had bought it directly from a dealer and paid sales tax in Illinois.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

We are full timers and except for a motorcycle purchase in Indiana where they insisted we pay Indiana state tax, we have never paid any tax until we submitted the paperwork to our domicile state South Dakota. By the way, Indiana state tax was 7% at the time and SD was 3%.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #7

I think what you have to watch out for is if the state you purchase it in has a higher sales tax rate than the one you plan to register it in. While most states do have a reciprocal agreement, if you pay extra money to AZ you may have a hard time in getting a refund when you register it at home. Any dealer must collect sales tax on items he delivers in the state so he may be trying to save you some aggravation. Private party sales can do whatever they like. Call your local DMV for their fees and policies.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

As an Oregon resident I have purchased two motorhomes in CA. In CA you either pay the state sales tax around 8% depending on location or take out of state delivery. When you take out of state delivery a driver moves your motorhome to either Nevada or Arizona. Then you sign paperwork in front of a Notary who checks your driver's license and then your are given your keys. Each set of sales paperwork is individually checked to verify that you aren't a CA resident.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just tell them you will pay the tax when you register it at home. You said "dealer" so it should have a temporary paper tag to get you home.

We lived in Dallas. Purchased from LaMesa RV. Coach was in California. They delivered to Albuquerque. Flew from DFW to ABQ. Did the deal / paperwork with LaMesa in ABQ. Declined to have them collect taxes. Paid when registered in Dallas.

Unless someone can show you legally how they must take your money, for taxes or anything else, the answer should be no.

If any doubt. Call your DMV and ask them. I would be surprised if they said you could not pay them.

Reciprocity is fine - so long as the dealer doesn't drag their feet. But why chance it if not required.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just purchased a Unit in Mississippi and live in TN. The dealer collected sales tax for TN as that is where we live. All that I need to do is pay for registration as the dealer is not able to do it across state line once they send me the paperwork
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another thought to ponder. I was able to pay cash for the taxes and about 55% down. So the taxes were not "financed".

It's easy enough to get underwater on a coach note. Not financing taxes, etc. is one way to help beat the reaper.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We purchased our coach in Florida, I was given temporary tags and paid no tax. When I got home I took the paper work to the county register in TN and paid the tax and got my license plates.

Did the same thing when I bought a boat in SC, had to pay tax on the boat, motor, trailer separately to be able to get boat ID #'s and tags for the trailer.

Nothing is certain in life except death and taxes and I certain that I've paid my share of taxes. Still wondering about the death thing though, still hoping to avoid this as long as possible.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Bought in Michigan, DMV office there transferred everything, and I bought a temporary tag, good for 30 days, paid the tax's, and returned to Penna. to register it, pay the taxs and get the plates.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4fun View Post
We just purchased a Unit in Mississippi and live in TN. The dealer collected sales tax for TN as that is where we live. All that I need to do is pay for registration as the dealer is not able to do it across state line once they send me the paperwork

Same here. I just had to take the Certificate of Origin to my local tag office.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, sale