Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The dealership we purchased our coach thru isn't out of state - but they are 165 miles away. We're in the Metro Detroit area and our dealership (Veurink's RV) is in Grand Rapids.

We like the dealership we purchased bought from. They've been attentive to our needs and have worked with us to earn our business. But, I won't lie - the distance is an issue at times. We've settled into a "use our dealership when we can and use somebody else when we must" sort of arrangement. The "when we can" situations tend to be for routine maintenance and/or repairs that can be scheduled. For this sorts of things - I work with our dealerships service department to schedule a day (or stretch of days) to have the work performed - and then typically drive the coach up, stay with it while they're working on it ... and then drive it home. This approach has worked well for us.

Then there's the "when we must" situations. I've had two issues that fell into this category. One was resolving a lingering issue with the Aquahot - which I took to one of the large dealerships in the metro Detroit area. To their credit, they were able to address the issue - however, considering it was roughly 1.5 hours of effort to diagnose the problem and 1 hour to install the necessary replacement part - the nearly 3 week wait (which in their defense spanned the Christmas holiday period shutdown) seemed a bit slow to me. Perhaps my frustration stems more from the lack of communication in terms of status updates than the time associated with the repair. I'm not one to drop off my coach and then sit quietly until somebody calls me to come pick it up. I expect to be updated with status about the root cause of the problem, how it will be resolved and the timeframe of events. I should NOT have to constantly call to find out where things stand.

The second item as a problem with the air leveling system. This I took to a large truck repair facility. That was a lesson learned - and one I'll never repeat. They took forever and did everything in a completely linear fashion. Troubleshoot - order a part - install the part - figure out if that part fixed the issue complete - troubleshoot some more - order another part - install that part - do a "hope" dance and see if that part fixed the problem. Conspicuously absent was any sort of regular communication regarding status of the repaid. Never again!!!!

We'll undoubtedly continue the "when I can, if I must" approach to having work done. I just wish our dealership was closer to us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #16

As you're shopping out of town dealers, get'em to put it in writing and email their sales information to you.

Then show the documents to your local RV dealer on what price they'll need to beat. Most dealers will reluctantly meet or beat the out of town deal. With RV markups being very large, don't let'em tell you they can meet other dealers' deals.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #17

Guess it really depends on where you live, and the operation of the dealership. One of our local dealers operates as three different corporations. You wouldn't know it by the signage, but the service department, the new coach sales department, and the consignment sales department are distinct. In my years of owning RVs I have only had three occasions of returning to the purchasing dealership where the dealer and the service department may have been the same...all three were unsatisfactory. $10k is a bit of change, perhaps a discussion with the local dealer will bring the numbers closer together.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #18

Depends a lot on the dealer you are using for service.

We have bought two new WI from a local dealer, thinking it would be beneficial when service was needed.

When the second rig was in a campground right beside the dealership, I had a fuse blow. Walked to the service department and asked if they could have a tech come over and fix for me (it was only three months old) and was told that I needed an appointment and that it would be 4-6 weeks before I could get one.

Haven't been back to them since.

Bought our current rig from Lichtsinn, was a very smooth transaction.

The service I have needed since has been well done by Buddy Gregg in Knoxville. Sure, it is a three hour trip from me, but I always enjoy spending a weekend in the Smokies and then drop it off with them. They have yet to ask me where I bought it, and don't seem to care.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfuni View Post
Hello, considering a new Winnebago ERA and found offerings considerably less expensive from out of state dealers. I don't mind spending $250 for a one way flight and a drive home to save $10,000 +. Still I am concerned about warranty work and service. Can anyone help who might have done this? I would rather deal locally, but the savings are considerable. Thanks.
We saved 20,000 by buying from Lichtsinn in Forest City over our local dealer. We looked at Lichtsinn because they are a mile from the factory and we did not want an unknown driver delivering the coach. Turned out to be a great find.

Did I mention we are 1800 miles from Lichtsinn - one way? We have no issue with traveling back to them for warranty and service. We bought the MH to travel and are able to plan it into our travel route.

As noted if you have trouble on the road it does not matter where you bought it. Nearest dealer is your first and maybe only option. Small items you can either do yourself or notify the dealer and they can get it placed on your file at WGO for later attention by your selling dealer.

We were really fortunate in dealing with Lichtsinn. We have found their service department to be extraordinary. They identified and repaired a couple issues that we would not have been aware of until they item totally failed. We are able to get appointments that are honored and the available parking lets us stay in the coach. Being close to the factory means the parts are there the next day so no three week wait for the dealer to get parts.

Maybe a bit inconvenient but for us a great place to get the best deal and service.

Tags
purchase, service