Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyred4 View Post
Have had a little trouble navigating this thread. Tank is probably 95% full now. Managed to bleed off 5% using grill (no flame of course). Slow progress. Can the fill station really remove some of the propane? How? I don't want to mess with bleeder valve and liquid propane.
As previously posted, just because the gauge shows 100% doesn't mean the tank is totally full. It just means you have 100% of the usable 80% that the tank is limited to.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Have had a little trouble navigating this thread. Tank is probably 95% full now. Managed to bleed off 5% using grill (no flame of course). Slow progress. Can the fill station really remove some of the propane? How? I don't want to mess with bleeder valve and liquid propane.
Using the bleeder valve to reduce the propane liquid level is exactly what a propane service company would do. It's very easy to do. Any liquid would come out cold so you might want to wear gloves when opening the valve. Propane comes straight out the tiny hole in the valve and is easy to dodge. You don't open the valve much, just enough for propane to escape. Watch for liquid and close the valve when it's just vapor coming out.

Again, you just don't want any sparks or flame near you when you're doing this. Make sure to put out that stogie...

When you bled through the grill, did any liquid come out? I agree with others, the tank may not be overfilled.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with other responses that it is unlikely that the tank is overfilled. So far the OP has not given any reason why he thinks it is overfilled. Is there a gauge on the tank that reads 100%?

Glenn
Old 07-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:

Yes, a propane dealer should have a pump that will remove propane from a small tank. They can also hook up a long hose with a burner to flare off a tank if needed. A propane dealer would have the tools to empty a tank.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:37 PM   #19

….think we have a "solution" out in search of a "problem" here ????????…. but lets keep the posts coming......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #20

Smile Probably just a 100% fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….think we have a "solution" out in search of a "problem" here ????????…. but lets keep the posts coming......
When I first noticed the problem, I was driving home from an emissions test and could smell propane while stopped in traffic. When I got home I could hear hissing at the tank. It eventually stopped when I bled off some propane via the external grill. I've got it down to 90% and will have the system checked tomorrow. Never found any leaks with water and soap test at the height of the pressure. Thank you all for your input. I've learned some things. Mainly, never let your neighborhood gas station fill you tank. I will go back to the old reliable source I've always used.
Rubyred4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #21

Quote:
When I first noticed the problem, I was driving home from an emissions test and could smell propane while stopped in traffic. When I got home I could hear hissing at the tank. It eventually stopped when I bled off some propane via the external grill. I've got it down to 90% and will have the system checked tomorrow. Never found any leaks with water and soap test at the height of the pressure. Thank you all for your input. I've learned some things. Mainly, never let your neighborhood gas station fill you tank. I will go back to the old reliable source I've always used.

Look at the picture of a tank, below. Your tank will be similar.

The devices shown, from left to right, are; fuel level indicator, pressure relief valve tube, Overfill Protection Device arm, bleed valve tube, and tank valve tube.

It is possible to overfill the tank if the attendant did not use the bleed valve, and the OPD arm is bent or otherwise unable to prevent the incoming LP from entering.

As you can see, the bleed valve tube extends into the 20% area of the tank that is to be only vapor. No moving parts. As soon as liquid LP reaches the top of the tube, it will spew out the bleed valve telling the attendant that the tank is "full" to the 80% level. If that valve is not open, the fill valve OPD or the stations measurement of LP discharged, is the only indicator of a full tank.

What you heard/smelled afterward is probably LP vapor escaping the pressure relief valve. That is set at ~200psi to prevent tank explosion when being filled. If you would have put soapy water around that valve, I bet there would have been bubbles.

You were correct in bleeding off propane, and you are correct to go to a different place for filling. However, I would strongly encourage you to return to the station, talk to the management and advise them of the error made by their attendant. If your bleed valve works, there is no way the tank could have been overfilled if the attendant had opened it during the filling process, as it SOP.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, propane, tank