Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The power company will probably be happy to raise the line at no charge to you! They don't want you messing with it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Did you miss the part where he stated that he had done linework for 32 years?
I knew people who for 35 years didn't know what they were doing.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #17

I wouldn't consider touching power lines. I'm very surprised that some say it's OK. It's a job for the power company.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wood or plastic would be the only things to consider for this if you decide to lift it manually. I would have the electric company fix it.

Don't stand in water while your doing it.

220V ac will stop your heart for sure. Always respect the current.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #19

That neighbor that you was having trouble with would be the way to go. Have him hold an aluminum pole and tell him to stand in that bucket of water to keep his feet cool. JUST KIDDING DON'T NEED A NOTE FROM THE MONITOR OR MEDIATORS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
I want to move RV to backyard. Residential power lines are suppose to have a minimum clearance of 12'. Any suggestions as to how to temporarily raise the lines ie wooden poles etc.? Power company will come out and drop the line but dont want to do that with each in/out.....
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #20

like always

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't think you should be giving someone advice dealing with a possible dangerous occurrence.... especially on the internet.

The OP needs to contact their electric company for advice and not asked for a 'how to' on a RV forum.

By no means did I say do (this), send me pics and I can help with what THE electric company can do. I was the electric company for said 32 years.
I think being a highvoltage lineman for 32 years grants me a well qualified what can be done opinion, and or facts. 24 years in NH, the company would pay for all that needed to be done. 8 years in PA, the company went from the pole to the house with the wire, rest was customer. So a private conversation and some pics, and I can (advise) on the questions to ask.
A person on an rv forum asks a question I can help with. Im trying.
This is why without seeing it, and or pics I can not help (advise) on the info to help the person (when) they call the electric company.
Im trying to help with safe, permanent,, legal fix.
Its easyer to be armed with options, just in case (when ) contacting the company.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #21

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Did you miss the part where he stated that he had done linework for 32 years?

He don't like me.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #22

By all means call the company, but have some knowledge first, as it helps.
To anyone, (but ) the one person. PM me anytime, and I can ask a couple questions and give the proper terms and questions on what to say and or ask for. Its always cheaper if its on there dime, but sometimes its on the customers dime.
I have all my line gear still. I could climb the pole and raise it, but CANT, because I don't work for that company.
Each company will have different who owns whats.
To a lot of the nice people with comments, that's great.
Aluminum has what is called a cold flow. So what was 14 feet new, will sag lower over time. So most times it can be raised, but, look at the high line wires on a hot day vs a cold day, hot means sag. So driving the camper under with a foot at 20 degrees is not going to be the same at 110 degrees.
Pulling the wire up (tight) in the summer is going to pull the wire out of the house or pole in the winter, and don't forget icing.
So, as stated in a different post. I am willing to help with options the company could do, and what the customer, may, need to do.
Being nice, always worked good for me, but huffing and puffing and demanding, didn't go over to well. Being nice can make a difference on billing or no billing. Like one cuts a tree down, takes the lines down, its the wording of tree fell or was cut, that makes or breaks the bill. (wink, wink)
Old 07-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #23

Traveler is being more than gracious and he has the correct answer. Send him the pictures if you're serious. I'd probably have the power company set another pole close to the house. Cheaper than an emergency room or mortuary bill.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #24

Thanks
The pole is option always but most people dont like it. In NH, first pole was free, second costs customer.
I'm hoping a simple mid span would work and would/should be free.
Thats why I need picks and a short conversation.
Just online search electric company midspan triplex service.
Notice I am not chastising the people that have do say poke it up.
I'm retired, if I poke it up and it burns down or trips the transformer, I will still get billed.
There is a difference in what the company can do, dont want to do, and has an obligation to do.
Most company's have a free booklet to give there specs n rules, covers overhead and underground.
It's simple with looking at it/pics. With permission I could call and ask the company the options they would do that I would do, and if it's free, what's free, then if needed the cost.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, call your electric utility.
No, don't touch the lines. Leave that to the pros with certified hotsticks and high voltage gloves.
Our residential line service Lineworkers did re locates all the time, usually free of charge unless the house needed a taller weather head. Even that is not a deal breaker. Traveler 4321's advice is spot on.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #26

Just my 2 cents worth. Never try moving a power line! I also used to work for the power company here in Texas. Unlike in your house, there are NO fuses between the transformer and the meter. Yes, the total voltage will only be 240v, BUT you would cook to a crisp before the line fuse would blow. Only a lineman with rubber gloves and a hot stick could safely lift a power line up. Even a wood pole or PVC could possibly give a person a fatal shock. I've seen many a downed power line snapping, arcing, and dancing and they usually keep doing that until a lineman pulls the line fuse making the line dead. I could tell you stories... there was a restaurant with a big sign... the sign company needed to check to see if the sign was going to be in spec for clearance... so they measured WITHOUT actually touching the line... the current arced anyway and fatally electrocuted the worker...
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:16 AM   #27

Traveler, kudos to you. You have been more than gracious with your continued input.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #28

Do what traveler suggests. One potential problem with using ANYTHING to raise the line, is what happens if you have the line raised with a 2 x 4, the RV is under it, and your 2 x 4 slips, or person holding the line up gets fatigued, and lowers it, etc, etc, now you have the line in contact with the RV . . . . not a pretty picture . . .

The power company doesn't want a problem any more than YOU do, give them a chance, call them, but talk to traveler so you know the right lingo . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power