Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #1

Overhead Power Lines

I want to move RV to backyard. Residential power lines are suppose to have a minimum clearance of 12'. Any suggestions as to how to temporarily raise the lines ie wooden poles etc.? Power company will come out and drop the line but dont want to do that with each in/out.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
You can pay them to bury it or pay them to hang it higher. Messing around with pushing the lines up is a dangerous option and not even a choice in my book.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #3

I did linework for 32 years. The cods/specs change from time to time. So what was min hight years ago is different today. Find out what your company specs are for hight. They may be low or right on.
Another option is to see if it can be raised at the pole and or house. Another pole can be added also, but no one likes that.
Sometimes a service can be rerouted, so it comes in from a different angle, such as taking it off the pole and doing a midspan service drop.
If you pm me pic's or want a number to tx them to me ill gladly help. Need pic of hole thing, at house connection and where it leaves the pole, both angles pole to house, and house to pole.
There are multiple ways to do what you need, might be free, or need a little $$ involved, but it will be a safe and premanant solution.
Scott.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #4

Guess I would be living dangerously but I'd have no problem gently lifting the INSULATED lines feeding into my weather head with a 2x4,,, if the lift was only a few inches.

But, I wouldn't mess with doing something like that if it's going to end up being your main way for routinely driving in an out. You need to see about getting that line lifted permanently. Having the electric company remove excess sag may make the difference but if not, you might need to extend the weather head upwards a few inches or more.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #5

Like I mentioned, if the OP just sends me pics, I can give real insight to it, and hopefully its free, and will be a legal permant fix.

The problem with some one touching it that isn't employed by the company, and knows what to look for, befor touching, is best.. If a cover is off, or lines are cracked from drying out, or chafing, or bare at the pole. One could burn it down or trip the transformer. 999 out of 1000 times, no problem with the stick. I have seen and fixed many of poked up wires, by stick and by trucks, and garbage trucks, that didn't look up
IF the OP contacts me, I or they will get back with, their solution. As one house isn't the same as the next, usually. Going underground will be very costly.
travelorer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I assume this is just a temporary thing just to lift the lines while you drive under, then the lines are let back down.

I'd probably come up with something like maybe 2 or 3 inch diameter PVC pipe, make it 14 ft long, cut a "V" shape in one end, and prop up the lines.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #7

As best as i can measure, the droop is 12' at its lowest point. My RV height is 11' so I think if I need to I will just lift up a couple of inches with wood or pvc as suggested. Electricity scares the heck out of me. We had a trash service man killed behind our house about 35 years ago when the container was lifted and came into contact with a power line. My confidence in myself to make a modification is about zero.....Thanks guys
Old 07-23-2020, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
Electricity scares the heck out of me.
Me too. That's why I know I would NEVER attempt to touch power lines with anything. My wife's side is full of professional electricians...my nephew is a lineman for a power company. I've heard the horror stories...the end results aren't pretty.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
We have a power line over driveway. When first installed it was at least 14’ clearance. Over the years it drooped down around 12-1/2’. Was not a problem till we purchased the RV.
Called electric company and they came out right away and moved it higher.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My brother-in-law has a sagging line across his driveway and I've used the wooden pole trick several times when camping there. There is plenty of slack in the line, so easy to lift it several inches.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW22r View Post
As best as i can measure, the droop is 12' at its lowest point. My RV height is 11' so I think if I need to I will just lift up a couple of inches with wood or pvc as suggested. Electricity scares the heck out of me. We had a trash service man killed behind our house about 35 years ago when the container was lifted and came into contact with a power line. My confidence in myself to make a modification is about zero.....Thanks guys
Guess I'm not understanding the situation. The wire is 12 feet at its lowest point, the RV is 11 feet tall,,, why do you have to lift the wire?

If you're not positive about the measurements, get a spotter to assist while slowly driving under the wire.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4321 View Post
Like I mentioned, if the OP just sends me pics, I can give real insight to it, and hopefully its free, and will be a legal permant fix.

The problem with some one touching it that isn't employed by the company, and knows what to look for, befor touching, is best.. If a cover is off, or lines are cracked from drying out, or chafing, or bare at the pole. One could burn it down or trip the transformer. 999 out of 1000 times, no problem with the stick. I have seen and fixed many of poked up wires, by stick and by trucks, and garbage trucks, that didn't look up
IF the OP contacts me, I or they will get back with, their solution. As one house isn't the same as the next, usually. Going underground will be very costly.
I don't think you should be giving someone advice dealing with a possible dangerous occurrence.... especially on the internet.

The OP needs to contact their electric company for advice and not asked for a 'how to' on a RV forum.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I don't think you should be giving someone advice dealing with a possible dangerous occurrence.... especially on the internet.

The OP needs to contact their electric company for advice and not asked for a 'how to' on a RV forum.
Did you miss the part where he stated that he had done linework for 32 years?
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:10 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
When we purchased our new coach in 2013 the power line from the pole to the house only cleared by 1/2 inch. Too close for me. I called the power company and they raised the line on the pole and now I have 6 inches. There was no charge. I would definitely call the power company.

Tags
power