Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #43

I've heard of RV Park snobbery - wherein park owners only allow the shiny and sharp RV admittance.

If this is important, consider a wrap: https://wrapguys.com/motorhome-rv-wraps/
That's an illustration, not a recommendation.
The sky's the limit on design, and they are pretty durable...about as good as a new decal set.

Speaking of which: https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/...n-rvs-stripes/

Trailer life recently did an article on wraps, too.

Don't want to break the bank on a wrap, a shop can "detail" your coach, buffing and rejuvenating the gelcoat and adding a bit of new life to the old decals...don't expect miracles, but you might be surprised what a good wash, wax, and buff job can do to make the old rig look good enough for the snobby set again.

Now the small stuff.

CPAPs run on 12 volts. All you need is enough 12 volt power...assuming your RV park does not provide shore power. This concept is at odds with RV park snobbery, but I'll let that go. Go where you want to go...boondocking this week and to the resort park next.

Where to get that 12 volt power on a budget...I get that your rig is about a 1993, so I gather budget is a deal.
Get solar and more batteries.

Solar: I just put this kit on my rig.
https://smile.amazon.com/Renogy-Mono...1328349&sr=8-4
It was DIY and I'm 71. But you can get a mechanic to install it for a few hundred dollars. If you're serious about solar, I can give you chapter and verse on the install.

Batteries: You can go nuts with batteries. LiFePo batteries run about a kilobuck a pop. But for the rest of us poor folk, a really good option is a set of 4 x 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series/parallel. If that doesn't make sense, let the guy who installs your solar put them in.

I have just 2 golf cart batteries on the tongue of my small trailer, and I have all the power I need, but I don't need a CPAP. A CPAP will eat one regular old 12 volt group 24 marine battery (the junk they install on new campers to send them down the road) in a night. 4 x 6 volt golf cart batteries will handle the CPAP with ease, and the solar will recharge the batteries during the day...when, hopefully, your not sleeping.

Then there are backup power supplies for CPAP. Look for one that can charge off 12 volts (solar) and 120 volts (generator).
No matter what the ladies tell you, in these things, size matters. More watt-hours means more power for a longer time...at a higher price.
But...one of these can keep you breathing easily for several nights.
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=cpap+ba...-diversity_2_9

The rest of that stuff? Well, I'm 71, and I did the solar install, battery install, inverter install, modified the plumbing (grey dump), installed those gorgeous stairs, reversed a cabinet door that "opened the wrong way", and innumerable other jobs (about 100 labor hours in all) before my rig went on its maiden voyage. It was brandy new when I did all that work. We boondock "back in there" about 11 miles down a very rough, washboarded, potholed gravel road. After my second trip, I've already had to reinstall the valance and Venetian blind over my sink (they were on the floor when I got home), So, I'll good-naturedly say quitcherbitchen and suck it up.

Your running a damned near 3 decade old rig, so it's gonna need some TLC. If you had a '93 Chev as your daily driver, you'd have to put time and money into it on a regular basis to keep it going.

RVing is a labor-intensive, time-consuming, expensive hobby. Part of the "fun" is making it happen so well that your trip is NEVER interrupted by a failure. Don't like the chores? Get on Nextdoor - https://nextdoor.com/ - and ask your neighbors who does RV repair. Not some damned dealer, but a local "guy" who will come to your house and work on your RV right in the driveway, or at his "shop" (driveway) nearby. That guy can install your solar and batteries...and that backup camera and vent cover.

Final rant: We all leave the dealer lot after spending $25,000 to $100,000 and up for an RV, and we expect it to be as reliable as our car or our house.
Wait...what??? First, our cars and homes aren't all that reliable. But furthermore, most of us have tow vehicles that cost more than our "campers." And our camper is a fully mobile home on wheels...complete with furnace, range, oven, fridge, plumbing, toilet....AND ALL IT TAKES TO MAKE THOSE THINGS MOBILE...like holding tanks, water pump and so on. Most of them have slide out rooms! We pay a relative pittance for these things and we expect them to perform like a Marriott with a kitchen. I guarantee you that your house probably costs at least 10 times more than your RV (new). It's time to adjust expectations.

So, again in fun, quitcherbitchen and enjoy. If the old beastie has you in over your head, there are options...including trading in for a small travel trailer and a decent tow vehicle. If budget prohibits...I get that. I'm retired, fixed income and all. I still work part time to pay for my toys and fun.

I have a brand new rig...two trips under its belt...and I've already not only put 100 hours into "customizing" but I've spent a couple more to make repairs. It ain't the rig that keeps me at this. It's the places I can go with it. And I'm a long way from being so overworked by this toy that I don't want to go. The rest of the pictures show why it's worth it. They feature my trusty old PopUp. You think your motorhome is work??? I'm here to tell ya...

OK...I'm done.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar on Jayco Close.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	288289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake Wellington 1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	288295  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wellington2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	607.8 KB
ID:	288297   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-lost park1 small.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	288298  

Attached Images

jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
I want to wish you both:
Many SMILES along the Miles!

For a First laugh: Did you Notice under your Post name?
SENNY is Junior Member!
Please share your travel stories!
jimpat4649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
If the outside is oxidizing you can take transition fluid and it will make a tremendous difference. Twice a year. Try a small spot.
Interesting tip. Does it work on aluminum and fiberglass or is paint just paint?
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:02 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
You all are great

I have no words to express how much I appreciate all of you guys help.
We are progressing. I have managed to slow DH down a bit. He has the patience of a rock.
So far we have installed a back up-rear view camera, and while doing that we replaced the old running lights with LED lights. It did take us a bit longer than anticipated lol. If it says a 30 minute job, we automatically figure one day.
We replaced the fan and vent in the bathroom as the blades were broke. That took a bit longer too. But we did it. umm I mean DH did it. I was inside with a cup of coffee watching from underneath. lol.
We have replaced all interior lights with LED's. We do have one problem. On passenger side the interior lights, which are two bulbs, don't work. So must be a wiring problem. Same up in front on the overhead. The map light doesn't work and one of the plugs don't work. So making a list of stuff like that. We have checked everything over, I hope.
Learned how to dump the tanks, I hope.
The former owners, we were lucky to find out who they were, and we knew them about 30 years ago when he was young lol.
He thinks there was a recall on the Norcold fridge, something to do with the propane. Electric works good but an issue with that. The dealer we bought it from was suppose to order the part. But checking with him to see if he did it. But with Covid, he is on very limited hours.
We did replace one rear tire, and then decided to replace the two inside tires, but because of where we live had to order them from South Dakota and think they were to be delivered yesterday to Cenex who is putting them on. Our front tires are new by previous owner, one rear had been replaced so the other 3 now will be new.
When we were driving out to have the tire put on (about 4 miles from home) a dump truck with a load of gravel (DH said they were boulders) and rocks hit the driver windshield, yeap we now have a crack. In our area, with the amount of gravel roads that is not uncommon.
Thank you Jimmore13 for your very newsy post.
I am trying to maintain control, in that I don't have to put everything from the house into the RV. Lost control once, but regained it.
I am trying to keep control on not causing the RV to list to one side. lol
Kitchen stuff tho to me is the heaviest (like canned food) and it is on one side but majority is over the rear wheels. Will that be ok.
We have not started to put stuff in the storage area other than a grill. So that might help when we fill them. Right now with out levelers we are about 3 degrees to the kitchen side.
DH is waxing RV, got one side done. Doesn't look to bad as long as you don't get to close. lol. Decals are my worry. Not a worry but wish I could replace.
Ok, I better shut up, you all will be getting bored soon.
Once again thanks for all the help. Who knows maybe we will meet at a RVPark or roadside rest.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #47

Hang in there! I knew (know) nothing either. Part of the fun is learning something new and different! The good news is that there are LOTS of resources available to you, starting with IRV2!
Lasley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #48

American Coach Owners Club
I just want to say it makes me smile reading about you guys taking on a new adventure like this together.
May the Lord Bless You!
BE Safe and Enjoy.
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #49

Breath

Take a deep breath and relax, If you have ever camped before you know what you need to have for your first trip. Food, Water, eating utinsels, and a power source for your CPAP. You will learn on every outing, fine tune your list and enjoy. Oh yea have a good tool kit for repairs. As for the outside have the old graphics replaced with new ones or a wrap, good wax job and as long as you look good most places will let you in (might have to fib if your making reservations on the phone on age). After Rving for 40+ years we forget things, and learn on every outint
Enjoy the trip.
webcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #50

I would be more worried about the mechanical end of things, starting with the age of the tires.
lazzer2146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senny View Post
I thought Rving was going to be fun. But I am so overwhelmed right now, I am not sure if I am coming or going out the door.
I am trying to read all I can and now I think my brain is leaking out of my ears.
Our RV is 27 years old but it runs good, and inside is like brand new. But the colors are faded. The striping is chipping. But it doesn't look all that bad. I don't think. But how do you brighten it up. I worry that the RV parks will laugh and say no way are you old things coming in here. We are both old and figured a old RV was perfect for us.
Than there is the CPAP issue. Now DH is trying to install a backup camera, not going all that great.
We had to replace a Vent in bathroom with fan. Only took him 4 1/2 hrs lol.
I am trying to make sure we have everything we need. And I have lists of lists running.
We have not even left the drive way yet and wondering if we are going to make it out of it. Granted the COVID is holding us up a bit but we still have much to do. At least I feel like we do.
Does everyone go through this confusion or is it just us?
Start out slow. Take a couple of short trips. 1. Confirm that your 27 y/o rig is road/travel ready. 2. After a couple of those trips you will know what is most important - put those at the top of your list. 3. Make sure you have a good road assist policy - just in case. 4. Put some color in your coach - pillows, bedspread, recover upholstry and valences, etc 5. Have a good set of tools on board - all RVs have periodic maintenance issues. If you took your house and shook it for 500 miles, it would have problems also. Chill and enjoy the adventure.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is how you check tire age
https://www.honkforhelp.com/explore/...hy-it-matters/
Floyd2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog2 View Post
May try what this guy did. I have seen others who love it too. Plus it is way easier than waxing. Mop on and done.
Use the outdoor product if you use it. Saw one that had been done with indoor ZEP. Did not turn out well.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:58 AM   #54

Overwhelmed

Speaking from experience, if your coach is 23 years old, get used to fixing things. We recently decided to buy a newer coach because of things constantly needing to be fixed, and ours was three years newer than yours.

As far as looking old, we had ours completely re-painted by MAACO for around $2500.00. We didn't bother putting the graphics back on and it looked great without them.

They make wireless backup cameras that are pretty simple to install.

The biggest thing was after installing over $10,000 worth of upgrades over 9 years, they look at the year and value it the same as a coach with all original everything. They didn't take into account that we replaced the roof, new awning and cover, all window and slide awnings, two new A/C's, engine A/C, all new brakes and tires plus it has a Banks Power System.

Not trying to discourage you, but you have every right to be overwhelmed! Good luck with your adventure. Bob
Bobchambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:06 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobchambe View Post
Speaking from experience, if your coach is 23 years old, get used to fixing things. We recently decided to buy a newer coach because of things constantly needing to be fixed, and ours was three years newer than yours.

As far as looking old, we had ours completely re-painted by MAACO for around $2500.00. We didn't bother putting the graphics back on and it looked great without them.

They make wireless backup cameras that are pretty simple to install.

The biggest thing was after installing over $10,000 worth of upgrades over 9 years, they look at the year and value it the same as a coach with all original everything. They didn't take into account that we replaced the roof, new awning and cover, all window and slide awnings, two new A/C's, engine A/C, all new brakes and tires plus it has a Banks Power System.

Not trying to discourage you, but you have every right to be overwhelmed! Good luck with your adventure. Bob
Thank you Bob. Those are all aspects we have thought about.
We are both in our 80's, This is something I have dreamed on doing, DH dragged his feet, and then I didn't want to leave my job lol. So this was a option for us. Yes She is a old thing, but I didn't want to invest in something when we have no idea how long we have to do this. I figure if we can get a year or two out of it, we will be lucky.
The back up camera was probably one of the easiest thing we have done so far. lol
Understand about things breaking, we live in a house over 100 years old. Repairing things is nothing new. DH is pretty good at trying to fix things.
We do value your opinion. I would love to repaint it. But wax is going to have to do.