Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Overwhelmed

I thought Rving was going to be fun. But I am so overwhelmed right now, I am not sure if I am coming or going out the door.
I am trying to read all I can and now I think my brain is leaking out of my ears.
Our RV is 27 years old but it runs good, and inside is like brand new. But the colors are faded. The striping is chipping. But it doesn't look all that bad. I don't think. But how do you brighten it up. I worry that the RV parks will laugh and say no way are you old things coming in here. We are both old and figured a old RV was perfect for us.
Than there is the CPAP issue. Now DH is trying to install a backup camera, not going all that great.
We had to replace a Vent in bathroom with fan. Only took him 4 1/2 hrs lol.
I am trying to make sure we have everything we need. And I have lists of lists running.
We have not even left the drive way yet and wondering if we are going to make it out of it. Granted the COVID is holding us up a bit but we still have much to do. At least I feel like we do.
Does everyone go through this confusion or is it just us?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #2

It can be overwhelming if you look at the whole list at one time. Prioritize and look at each project at a time. You may want to outsource the project if it is taking too long or out of your capacity, ie: pay someone to install the back up camera so you can focus on scratching off a few other projects on the list.

This forum and youtube have tons of information to help you.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #3

What I do is I look at it as a hobby. There will always be something to work on or take care of like making it shiny. I waxed mine about 2 summers ago. It took me awhile but I felt good afterwards because the rig shined really well. It too me about 3 days in all. I did not do it all in one day. I need to do it again now. And I am preparing to reseal and paint my roof. I am 73 years old, almost, so I don't do things in a hurry. When I run across a problem, I come in here and look around and ask questions. This is a great group of people and lots of good information to help us out.
Take a deep breath, plan what needs done, and " just do it ".
You will get many answers to your post and good ideas will come to you, like, how to make your rig shiny.
Get your RV in shape for the road first, then do the other things. You can do other things wherever you stay. Most parks will not let you wash your rig although some have setups for you to do that, just not in your space.
Take it easy and just do things at your own pace. Whats the hurry anyway.
Others will post to your questions. Enjoy, Don't worry, Be Happy.
Take care.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
What Jake said.

Do the things that are most important to operation and comfort.

Then worry about the outside appearance. Sometimes something as simple as a wash and wax can sparkle the appearance considerably. We have friends in Minnesota with an old Pace Arrow that looks brand new from all of the polish on it.

I suggest you have a couple "practice" nights in your driveway to see how things go, if everything is working and additional items you might need or want to have with you. After that it is go out and do it. If you have a credit card with you local stores can help you with anything you might have missed.

Enjoy the adventure and welcome to the RV family. Most rv'ers are friendly, helpful and willing to help whenever there is a problem.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #5

We all have "ToDo" lists. And as noted above you just prioritize the list and work your way thru it. I probably have 6 or 8m items on mine, some that may not get done before winter. But owning a house is about the same isn't it?
You are also renovating a very old RV and should expect a lot of catch-up work to be done. Right now you are in the every-job-is-a-new-experience phase but as you go down the road new jobs will be like something you already have done and will go faster.
There are also many YouTube channels on upgrading and maintaining your RV. Before starting something new check YouTube for a video or two. For example your vent fan project, searching YT for "RV Install vent fan" found these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...stall+vent+fan

Youtube channels that I subscribe to with a lot of maintenence ifo are:
TR Bowlin: https://www.youtube.com/user/trbowlin
RV with Tito: https://www.youtube.com/user/rvwithtito
and just to get you excited about traveling watch
GrandAdventure: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFb...oWMGkGe7gUw27w

And if you really get stuck call in a Mobile RV Tech, look online for a local one.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

Your RV is probably twice a well built better than the ones built today. Just needs a little TLC. One project a day is my go to. Did a bathroom fan upgrade the other day. 2 hours one day. Next day inside, 1 hour. It's all good. On waxing I picked up a Griots buffer. 129.00. It's on the small size. Plus pads. Using Nu Finish wax. Orange bottle. Out 2008 toy hauler is looking like new again. Did a little custom remodeling. Made space for the garbage inside the cabinet. Like I said, one project a day.Click image for larger version

Name:	0514201733.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	285972Click image for larger version

Name:	0515201153_HDR.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	285973Click image for larger version

Name:	0517201112.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	285974
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #7

Hate to put a negative post up, but BTDT. Ended up getting a newer trailer and never regretted the decision. We had a 76 GMC, it ran great but sat for almost a decade until I retired. Plan was to get it running and safe then tackle the interior. After a few grand and a hundred hours we found that the money it needed was more than a replacement RV and got rid of it. Bought a 5 year old trailer and a pickup for a little more than the estimated repairs on the old GMC. Yours may not be in as bad a shape but it might be worth investigating the price to go newer and see how it compares with the work on the old one.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Make a list, prioritize, chip away at it and call it a hobby.
I try to do one little thing to the RV daily. Polish and wax one small section at a time and it's not overwhelming that way.
As for the CPAP, I bought a small 300 watt pure sine wave inverter to power it up. Turn off the heated hose and humidifier and one fully charged group 31 AGM battery runs it for three nights easily. Most importantly, get out and enjoy your rig, and don't sweat the little things.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #9

Welcome

Senny, Welcome to the Forum!

I can promise that if you want it to be, the RV lifestyle will be as much fun as you hoped for. Sounds like you have a bit of the COVID Blues that we are all suffering from right now. That will disappear once we all get moving again!

You said your Tiffin is in good shape. As long as your motor and systems run well, take some time and just enjoy! If your hubby is doing projects because he wants to do them rather then needs to do them, that is most definitely ok.... As a tinkerer, I have been busy for the last month completing all kinds of little projects on my new rig.

But once the road opens up, just slow down and enjoy the travels for a while. I promise the To Do List will still be there and quite frankly will likely grow. Many of the small jobs can be accomplished on the road and can be a great way to fill in a rain day.

As for your concerns about appearance... I love seeing old units still running well. It tells me there is hope that I might get my money’s worth out of my crazy investment. There are a small number of “RV Resorts” that have age limitations but most will welcome you with open arms... You are showing up in a Tiffin after all not a Tin Can

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
You all the greatest. I had to go read all the posts to my DH who happens to be hanging off a ladder at the moment replacing the running lights in the back. Umm guess that is where they would be right.
We are late starters, I am 80 years old he is 82 years old. But in great health other than when we try to get out of a chair.
I just retired from 20 years as a EMT. Yeah I never start anything young. Military family so his career came first. So at age 60 I said it is my turn. Now we are going to go for it. lol.
You all made my day. We really only have minor things to do really. Tho we have not de winterized yet. lol. had to buy a drain hose that came yesterday.
It is a diesel with 62,000 miles and my logger grandson, keeps telling me it will go forever lol. For us forever is not far. lol
We have a daughter who lives full time in their RV and she keeps saying the first time is the roughest. It will be a breeze. lol so she keeps telling me.
So once again thanks everyone. Can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help
Old 05-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senny View Post
I thought Rving was going to be fun. But I am so overwhelmed right now, I am not sure if I am coming or going out the door.
Break it up into manageable chunks. As someone said earlier, one thing at a time, or one item per day for small projects. You'll feed successful after every completion, which will energize you for the next bite-sized project. If it's a big project, break that up into bite-sized pieces, and take each one on singly. Same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senny View Post
And I have lists of lists running.
That never ends. I have a running to-do list that started 10 years ago with my current, and small I might add, sailboat. When I need something to do, I look it over, and do whatever moves me at the moment. Or nothing, if I feed so moved. But also as suggested above, prioritize - the A-list being what must be done to make it roadworthy and safe (like good tires), B-list items being things you really want but don't technically have to have to use it (like a working toilet or cook top), and so on. Paint to me would make the D-list or lower - nice to look at, but has no actual effect on function.

I have a short list for my current Class B van. I'm presently working on bypass valves for the water heater/cabin heater unit, so I can easily winterize it while on the road. Many other things I've already checked off, like cleaning the Fantastic Fan. Minor issue, looking at that dirty screen and blades, but annoying nonetheless. So I took it apart and cleaned it a few days ago. Now it's off the list. One small thing a day, or one small piece of a larger project a day. I'm still working, so I can't devote much time out there, but since it's in the driveway, I can make myself go out there and knock off another item or piece of an item on 'the list'. Just keep chipping at it until it ready enough for a trip. Then just enjoy it.

Like the old sailing expression - it's about the journey, not the destination.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you are the one driving the frenzy with your worries. Ease up and do as the others suggest. It's a hobby that you can prioritize as YOU want and work on at your leisure. Until you get over your newbie stress, avoid the swankier RV resorts for now and choose the comfortable places.

HINT: using and enjoying the RV ought to be at the very top of your priority list. Everything else is secondary!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #13

If the outside is oxidizing you can take transition fluid and it will make a tremendous difference. Twice a year. Try a small spot.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #14

Like the others have said, do little things at a time, and big projects a little at a time.
The oxidation can be a bigger project. If really bad, wet sand (600 grit), compound (by machine preferably to save labor), then wax. One area at a time till done. Do it on nice days when it's good to be outside.

The stripes - likely they are vinyl decals. You can take them off (bigger job) and replace them. Others have cleaned and painted them with vinyl paint. Or if really adventurous, take them off and paint new custom design (that's a lot of work).

enjoy!