Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #15

When we dry camp it's usually on a graveled/dirt spot so throwing the rug out just puffs up the dirt/dust under it so we put a 9x12 tarp down 1st then the rug over it. Amazingly the rugs pretty clean in that it just has some dust and other doodads that fall on it.
It sweeps up easy. I fold it in 3rds then roll it up. Fits right back in the bag easily.
I throw it in the back of the truck along with some other stuff.
As for the tarp, I sweep it off and fold it up into a small 2'6" roll and tie a rope around it. I stick it in between the Highway box and the bed side.
A little extra work but far less than trying to clean a perforated rug.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
HA !

My wife bought two of them, and insists everywhere we stop, both go out!

When Time comes to clean and pack them up, she suddenly disappears !
Old 07-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #17

Don’t clean it.
Let the grime build up. That way camping neighbors won’t invite themselves over to drink your beer.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #18

I lay it across the picnic table and sweep it off. Both sides if necessary. Then it gets folded and put in the pass thru storage area.
When back from the trip I lay it out on the driveway and wash it off.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #19

The DW just HAD to have one.... We’ve used it maybe 4 times in 2 years of camping once a month. I bought a small Bosche battery powered leaf blower to blow it off, works great and isn’t very noisy. It’s rolled up all the way across the basement storage. So far it’s never been wet.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:32 PM   #20

Sweep, fold, sweep, fold, repeat. Basically sweeping the newly exposed underside each time it is folded until both sides have been swept off. Put in Nylon bag and store. We have a concrete driveway at home and giving it a scrub with soap,water, and a commercial type garage broom as needed works for us.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I lay it across the picnic table and sweep it off. Both sides if necessary. Then it gets folded and put in the pass thru storage area.
When back from the trip I lay it out on the driveway and wash it off.
Me too. We were gifted a very large fold out waterproof rug. We always use it. Unpacking, packing, and cleaning with the garden hose at home is pretty simple.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #22

We rolled it up and strapped it with bungees to the rear bumper of our old motorhome.
Our new 5th wheel does not have a bumper and for a while I considered strapping the carpet to the rear ladder. But then it occurred to me that we have used that thing only once or twice over the last 2 years. So, to keep it simple I just threw it into the trash. Storage problem solved
Old 07-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
We rolled it up and strapped it with bungees to the rear bumper of our old motorhome.
Our new 5th wheel does not have a bumper and for a while I considered strapping the carpet to the rear ladder. But then it occurred to me that we have used that thing only once or twice over the last 2 years. So, to keep it simple I just threw it into the trash. Storage problem solved

Cheers!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:56 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
We went with an 8X16' unit as this is the same size as our awning.

It folds into a 4' wide by approx 9-10" tall and easily fits on top of our basement slide and is the last thing into the coach when packing.

As far as cleaning we typically will use our cordless blower and whisk broom to clean off dust and debris.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:10 PM   #25

We here used a Patty O’Mat for more than 20 years. I may not have the name quite right (it has been a long, long time since we bought it, but it was some cutsie name). It folds up into an equally old Rubbermaid tub, and into a storage bin in the trailer.

I don’t remember the size, but it is big.

Most of the time enough dirt shakes off before I fold it up. A couple of times I have had to hose it off in the driveway when I get home.

The only times we don’t use it is when we have a paved pad. That has been the case once that I can remember.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I lay it across the picnic table and sweep it off.
Pity the next camper to use that table. This ranks right up there with the sewer hose on the table.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Pity the next camper to use that table. This ranks right up there with the sewer hose on the table.
^^^^

Our 8x12 faux grass has served well for many years. A shake from a corner or two, fold the 8' down by thirds and roll up for a 32" wide by 18" round roll. Toss it in our dirty compartment. Much nicer on bare feet than rocks, pine needles, clay dust, sand, asphalt, ...... keeps camper cleaner as we mainly boonedock.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:21 AM   #28

I am glad I started this thread, even though many think the solution is simple. Got some helpful ideas.

Mostly I learned I am not alone in seeing these mats as irritating and often pointless, and being over-ridden by the boss.

A few thoughts:
* My cheap mat didn't come with a storage bag. So I may use that old duffel I referred to in my OP.
* I find the idea of using a leaf blower at my camping spot slightly ludicrous. My leaf blower is at home.
* I try to avoid putting anything on the camping tables (when available) - except some cleaning solution and a table cloth.
* When this one "wears out/gets lost" I may try a synthetic grass solution.
* Lastly, "simple" tasks for one person are not "simple" for another. Case in point: Someone who stores their rig in a facility rather than at home is faced with unique cleaning and maintenance challenges. "Just wash it off when you get home" may not work if a) you don't have a home or b) you have to shuttle something to and from storage.

Helpful info in this thread.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote