Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2022, 07:57 AM   #1

Padding The Repair Bill

I hate posting this, because the shop I am dealing with SEEMED like good bunch of people, and they really did save me when my roof tore off my Itasca in Mohave.

The deal was: $13,000 for the roof replacement.
$1500ish for a new coleman roof ac.

I know for a fact, that you cannot do a roof replacement without taking off the ac's, vents, ladder, etc.
All that stuff should included in the repair estimate.

Well, I just got the bill.

Additional $600 for A/C labor.
Additional $300 for ladder labor.
Additional $250 for a vent.

It goes on and on.
$1800 in charges for stuff that should be part of the job anyway.

To me this is like charging a customer $200 extra for taking the wheels off during a brake job.
It's part of the job.

Am I wrong?

I gotta pick this thing up today, and am dreading the experience.
I was in the auto repair industry for nearly 40 years.
I know how this game is played.
I think I am getting played.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2022, 09:11 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
roof

They are crooks and those item labor amounts should be disclosed prior to work done.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Many shops have flat rates for performing a repair on a rig. For instance I just had an AC unit replaced on my rig. The mobile tech quoted the flat price for the AC unit, then 3 hours labor (2 guys, 1.5 hours each) plus any supplies used. With tax and "service call" it came out to $2150. It sounds like each job you had done was charged the same way.

Unfortunately you made the same innocent mistake that many owners do, and that is not getting a complete quote before any work is done. Car repairs are done the same way. The best time to negotiate price is before any work is done. You can still try, just remember you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Because after the work is done, the shop is not obligated to do anything to adjust the charges.

There is probably a charge for "shop supplies" as well. Those are things like fluids or sealants and shop rags that "may" have been needed to do the work. Usually a flat fee based on the total price of the work. You may be able to get that taken off.

You can present your case to the shop foreman, because it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no, and if you don't try you will get nothing.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
Old 06-27-2022, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetloaf View Post
I hate posting this, because the shop I am dealing with SEEMED like good bunch of people, and they really did save me when my roof tore off my Itasca in Mohave.

The deal was: $13,000 for the roof replacement.
$1500ish for a new coleman roof ac.

I know for a fact, that you cannot do a roof replacement without taking off the ac's, vents, ladder, etc.
All that stuff should included in the repair estimate.

Well, I just got the bill.

Additional $600 for A/C labor.
Additional $300 for ladder labor.
Additional $250 for a vent.

It goes on and on.
$1800 in charges for stuff that should be part of the job anyway.

To me this is like charging a customer $200 extra for taking the wheels off during a brake job.
It's part of the job.

Am I wrong?

I gotta pick this thing up today, and am dreading the experience.
I was in the auto repair industry for nearly 40 years.
I know how this game is played.
I think I am getting played.
Arent these the same folks that squeezed you in, at the last moment? Charged 1/2 what the other guys quote was? Drove you all over the place?

You may want to give them some benefit of the doubt.

A coleman AC is close to $1500 for some models, isnt it? Not sure how they could have sold AND installed for that price?

ON my RV the PO had a roof fan replaced at that was close to $1500.

The other stuff you may wish to ask about, but perhaps there was other damage they had to repair.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:31 AM   #5

Discuss it with the shop. With your experience, you’ll be speaking the same language.

What was described in the original estimate? Were you to be notified if additional charges exceeded the original estimate by more than “X” dollars? I’d consider the roof estimate to be the cost to replace the roof and unless it specifically included the installation of roof top accessories, I would expect to incur additional charges for the labor to install those items.

It really boils down to the description of the work that was to be performed in the original estimate.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:36 AM   #6

Is this going through insurance ?

The charges seem like the type they throw in to jack up the price for an insurance claim.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:52 AM   #7

There has to be a written contract for a repair of that amount, no?
Old 06-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #8

YEP^^^

What does it spell out on the written estimate?
Old 06-27-2022, 09:53 PM   #9

Bureau of automotive repair in ca. Will clean their clock. If they charged a penny more than the estimate without approval they're in trouble. They likely will be forced to refund the total bill. Do a little research, don't threaten them. But after all is settled ask them for their BAR license #. Hope it works out for you.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:08 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Arent these the same folks that squeezed you in, at the last moment? Charged 1/2 what the other guys quote was? Drove you all over the place?

You may want to give them some benefit of the doubt.
I remember this. You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetloaf View Post
It tore off at the pilot. [Mod Edit] Great people. They seriously saved my life.
It was a sunday, and nothing was open.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:20 AM   #11

I assume they told you that they won’t release the vehicle until you paid…

Pretty much the expected outcome.

Again, your defense is the contract. Please post it.

Not sure erasing the thread serves any purpose. I know you mentioned legal action.

The disputed amount is $2000. No lawyer gets involved at that amount. Small claims court at best, and you’re out of state. Realistically, this will never see a court room.

If they cheated you, and you have proof, there are other avenues mentioned above.
Closed Thread

Tags
air, repair