Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olroache View Post
If you have a good relationship with the doctor one workaround is increasing the quantity prescribed within the 30 day period that can allow the trip to be extended for however long. The insurance company limits the length of the prescription, the doctor determined the quantity needed.
A good doctor wouldn't do that!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #86

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olroache View Post
Often it’s the insurance company dictating the the 30 day restriction
Your Dr "might" be willing to increase your dosage (from 4 per day to 6 per day?) if you explain why you need a 45 day supply?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
A good doctor wouldn't do that!!
A great Doctor might!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #88

CVS

CVS Pharmacy is very accomodating with any other CVS. We forgot a pill and were able to have one CVS contact another and get enough pills for the trip.
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #89

Mid Atlantic Campers
Benadryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Last summer I switched from Fentanyl patches to generic Butrans patches. Fentanyl is schedule 2 and requires a monthly Dr visit and a hard copy Rx. Butrans is schedule 3. Your doctor can call it into the pharmacy and you can buy a 12 week supply.

My doctor prescribes the 20 mcg patch knowing that I am cutting them in half. I apply clear Tegaderm over it to keep it dry. I found a deal on the 20 mcg patches thru Good Rx Gold. Four patches (1/week) cost $163 plus $6 monthly for Good Rx Gold membership. My insurance won’t cover them. The Fentanyl patches were only $32/30 days.

To transition from Fentanyl to Butrans I had to use Hydrocodone for about a week until the Fentanyl was out of my system. The only thing I don’t like about the Butrans is that antihistamines will negate them. No more benedryl to help me sleep.
Use Tylenol PM if it doesn’t interfere with your medication. It knocks me out in 15 min.
MDFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #90

People just don't know how hard it is to fill pain meds in this day and age. It's difficult just to get them filled in your own hometown. Schedule 2 narcotics require a hand written paper prescription from a local doctor. Here, they must contact the doctor and verify every piece of information on the prescription. Nowadays the pharmacy is requiring a signed plan of care from the doctor before they will fill schedule 2 pain meds. 1/2 of the pharmacies will NOT fill pain meds if you don't fill any other medications on a regular basis. That is not law but company policy due to the scrutiny of filling pain meds. And that is just for filling locally! I understand the laws for filling them. My wife wrote the laws! But with all the abuse and media hype pharmacies just don't want the extra hoops to jump through or the extra scrutiny. It just makes folks like us who actually need them hard to fill.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #91

Chronic pain

Those who have never had to deal with serious chronic pain and only hear about the "dangers of opioid abuse" on their evening news will never understand what it takes for some to maintain a moderately enjoyable lifestyle.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenginn View Post
Those who have never had to deal with serious chronic pain and only hear about the "dangers of opioid abuse" on their evening news will never understand what it takes for some to maintain a moderately enjoyable lifestyle.
Well said!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #93

We've got an appointment at my wife's Pain Management Clinic Wednesday, and from there we'll be heading to our fifth wheel in the Northeast Georgia mountains. If we get the meds filled locally, the P/A or CNP can sign the prescription. If the M.D. signs, we can get it filled out of state.

One issue is finding the Class II meds my wife's been on for 15+ years in pharmacies. CVS usually carries it. Sometimes we have to drive from town to town if we're not at home to find a pharmacy stocking the meds. A large grocery's pharmacy is accommodating usually. We've never had any pharmacy verify any of the prescriptions over the years.

Although we're not full timers, we still have to schedule all vacations and our annual European trips to correspond with the Pain Clinic visits. It's just how it is. And no relief is expected with politicians getting tighter and tighter on opioid prescriptions in the future.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #94

Yes every trip I plan I do is after the day I see the doctor. Then I can go again for 29 days. Yes it is a pain because there are some places I want to go that will really be longer than a month like Alaska! Only thing you can do is go into Mexico and see a doctor there and they are allowed to give you a six month supply at one time. This is completely legal in the US, but just a pain going into Mexico.
Planodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #95

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneshd View Post
I don't believe you will get opioid refills beyond 90 days max.
I use pain patches that can be cut and have a PCP that trusts me not to abuse them. She prescribes a higher dose so I can get 24 weeks of patches instead of 12. If I can, I wait an extra day before putting on a new patch. That gave me an extra week last year and saved $ too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planodad View Post
Yes every trip I plan I do is after the day I see the doctor. Then I can go again for 29 days. Yes it is a pain because there are some places I want to go that will really be longer than a month like Alaska! Only thing you can do is go into Mexico and see a doctor there and they are allowed to give you a six month supply at one time. This is completely legal in the US, but just a pain going into Mexico.
You can't get them in Mexico and can't bring them into the U.S.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:59 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You can't get them in Mexico and can't bring them into the U.S.
Ok I guess I just didn’t get off a cruise ship two weeks ago that when I was in Progresso Mexico I went to a drugstore just to get stuff for my allergies (no prescription needed), so just for the hell of it I asked the pharmacist about hydrocodone and he said that I would need to get a doctors prescription and they can give a six month prescription. And of course the doctor’s office is part of the drugstore and I saw the doctor right there. I told him what Strength I was on And he wrote the orders. Now what makes them legal to bring into the US is the label on the bottle. Name of drugstore, doctor and mine! No problem with customs when I claimed them at the end of the trip. Total cost was 1912.11 pesos ($100.00)
Planodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetken1 View Post
Last month I asked my pharmacy how I can get my meds "on the road" The answer was if you are registered with a national company (I am with Rite Aid), just go to a Rite Aid location and it is the same as going to my local location.
Ken
This has absolutely nothing to do with getting opioid class drugs beyond 90 days, and that is only possible with pain management clinics.
Joneshd is offline   Reply With Quote