Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Painting The Roof????

Wasn't 100% where to post this so if it's in the wrong place I "pologise" in advance.

Am considering painting my roof white to reflect some heat and to protect it. It's an older weather-worn fiberglass roof in stylish '80's tan. I know it will require some service from time to time but:

Is it a definite no-no?

Should I use automotive enamel or RV roof paint?

Any special preparation to paint over fiberglass?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any imput.
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Fiberglass RV Roof Coating | Dicor Products | Official Website

Dicor has a fiberglass coating that is supposed to be highly reflective. I've never used this.....

more here: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...-roof-coat.htm
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I just did mine with the Dicor Fiberglass Roof Paint mentioned above. My previous white paint was chalking and made a mess down the sides when water ran off. The new paint cured that.

I was planning on using a marine deck paint when I found the Dicor and figured a product made for RV fiberglass roof was a good choice. I felt their recommended prep work was extreme, though, even though I am normally conscientious about preparing a surface for paint or stain. I scrubbed the roof thoroughly to remove dirt and chalk, applied a chemical deglosser (aka "liquid sandpaper") and then painted on two coats.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Some of the marine deck paints contain sand or a similar material so the deck or roof in this case won't be slick.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #5

If that were anything like the "nonskid" paint on Navy ships it isn't very reflective. Really chews up boots too. But we don't walk on our roofs much.... ;-)
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderboardr View Post

Wasn't 100% where to post this so if it's in the wrong place I "pologise" in advance.

Am considering painting my roof white to reflect some heat and to protect it. It's an older weather-worn fiberglass roof in stylish '80's tan. I know it will require some service from time to time but:

Is it a definite no-no?

Should I use automotive enamel or RV roof paint?

Any special preparation to paint over fiberglass?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for any input.
THIS is what I did to my fiberglass roof to eliminate the white streaks (oxidized fiberglass) from running down the sides of my coach.

It has also helped with keeping the inside cooler as my A/C's are not running full bore all the time now.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:57 AM   #7

Here's one idea: RVing: The USA is our BIG Backyard: Coating our Fiberglass Roof on the Motorhome

BTW, my roof was done the same way, with the same elastomeric roof coating, by the same couple, at 16 years of age.
(Thanks again Steve and Karen)!
Mel '96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Non-skid powder can be added to nearly any type of paint and does not need to be so much or so coarse as to reduce reflectivity by any noticeable amount or be rough on shoes (or knees). If the fiberglass roof isn't already textured for better footing, I highly recommend adding non-skid to the coating. Most any paint store will have it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, roof