Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Corelle is made of an extra durable glass. it bounces rather than breaking most of the time. It is about the thickness of Melamine, which is a plastic product. One advantage is that Corelle takes up very little space.
You are right, according to Wikipedia, " It is made of Vitrelle, a laminated tempered glass product with three layers of two types of glass."

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Everyone and thanks for all the input. I took all the info to heart and I just purchased some Corell dishes and several microwave safe plates that are made of a hard plastic. The added benefit of the Corell is that it is light weight and "nests" very snugly. No rattling to deal with!
AppleValley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
With all the information on the board here, I purchased a set of Corelle. It was on sale at a local retailer's (you know the one) and was cheaper than buying the plastic equivalent. Paper plates are on board too for easy clean up or places like the beach........Honestly I don't really like paper or foam for even picnic's but I do recognize that there is the occasional need. I have fine China but it won't be used in the RV..We are not full timers.......otherwise we would...My china has been around for 45 years or so and I love it too much to put it in the RV at this point...
RDGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #46

We use both paper goods and corelle too. I do have another question...what is the best way to bring wine glasses?
Nancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 AM   #47

KZ RV Club
The only way I have found is to wrap them in dish towels and lay them on their side while in transit. I'd love to hear of someone else's better solution! Every time we pull into a spot, then, I unwrap them until we leave. One of these days I'm going to forget! :(
Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #48
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Some folks put them in socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancym View Post
I do have another question...what is the best way to bring wine glasses?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
They sell cases like this one but for the $50 price tag, I'd find a small cardboard box and snag a few cardboard bottle dividers from a liquor store box. Cover it with contact paper if you're concerned about looks.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have an little antique dry bar from the 1920's that we installed in the MH. The stemware, all Waterford, hangs upside down into an acrylic holder I modified for the bar. Each glass is wrapped with an expanded foam "sock", much like you find around Asian pears in the market. I put a 2" thick sheet of styrofoam on each of the 2 shelves with holes or pockets cut out to hold the different sized rocks and highball glasses (top shelf) and crystal decanters (bottom shelf). The foam itself is covered with gray silk fabric with lots of folds and tucks so it can accommodate the different pieces. Turned out very attractive.
While traveling, I have pieces of 3" and 4" foam rubber that fit around and between the different decanters and such. Takes a few minutes to set up and undo, but we enjoy our crystal.
Like many other fulltime, we carry 2 place settings of high-end Spode for our good china along with some good white linen and silver (we also have a monogrammed set of "ship's china"), and use Corelle and some fun cowboy-themed melmac for everyday. Rarely use paper or foam, except for picnics or potlucks.
For myself, I can't see wasting the weight on ordinary stoneware or cheap everyday china. The chips and breakage of stoneware would be annoying as well, since we don't pamper our daily-use stuff.

Having said that, I think the dynamics are probably different for full-timers vs weekenders.

Allison

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Corelle for us and paper plates. We have some nice pint glasses that look like glass but are plastic. Light and durable just have to be careful not to scratch them. Waterford crystal stays at the sticks and bricks house as do the Pfaltzgraff dishes since they are very heavy. Coffee mugs in the MH are china.

Corelle is from Corning Glass, Corning NY. We are closer to Syracuse former home of Syracuse China.. They made fine china for years then restaurant china. Syracuse China closed a few years ago because China now means where the plates come from.

A hint for paper plates leaking. Whenever I cook bacon I hate the mess so I drain the strips on paper towels on paper plates to be able to toss the whole mess. So the plates don't soak all the way through I just put a piece of plastic wrap between two.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I bought a set of stoneware. Travel mugs for when we are on the road and glass mugs for camp. HATE styrofoam. We do have paper plates for some meals, platic bowls for cereal and a good set of silverware that I refused to part with. Since we are fulltiming, I still like a few of the comforts of home.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #53

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTblc View Post
But I always use fine china when it comes to silverware.
Where can I find "fine china" "silverware"?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #54

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I convinced my wife to buy a set of very expensive Corelle type French table ware. Wish I hadn't. The almost $500 we spent could have bought a lot of paper plates and cups! But it was guaranteed not to break and none have so far.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #55

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Corelle is made of an extra durable glass. it bounces rather than breaking most of the time. It is about the thickness of Melamine, which is a plastic product. One advantage is that Corelle takes up very little space.
If it does break it shatters into a million pieces, had it happen in the old MH once. Had to pull over and help the DW clean it up before the dogs stepped on the shards. Took a while to get the pieces out of my fingers too!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If it does break it shatters into a million pieces, had it happen in the old MH once. Had to pull over and help the DW clean it up before the dogs stepped on the shards. Took a while to get the pieces out of my fingers too!
The place I worked part time while in high school sold Corelle. We always dropped a plate on the floor to show customers how durable it was. One kid that just started tried it for the first time and it exploded just like you describe. The customer laughed and told him "if you trust it that much I'll take them anyway". We thought the poor kid was going to die on the spot.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote