Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 01:03 PM   #1

Paralleling generators

I have 2 different portable invertors, Ryobi 1800 and Predator 3500. Both have ports to parallel. Can I pair them up for more juice?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 01:06 PM   #2

I would doubt it. Two generators of the same make and model with pairing ports can work because the two synchronize their phases. Two different generators would probably cause one or both to trip, maybe catastrophically.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:38 PM   #3

In general, two separate AC power sources should never be connected together. However, in the last decade or so some small portable inverter type generator manufactures have included the capability to synchronize the phase. They are designed to join two of the same or similar models.

Usually warranty is voided if you connect a different design. The manufacturers do not test all possible combinations and some are not compatible.

There is also a significant issue with wiring them together. Most people would not build a safe connection box. That means exposed plugs are hot and dangerous. Somebody is bound to get hurt.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe, maybe not, and you have no way of knowing which it might be.

Both of those are private label brands that use technology and/or components bought elsewhere. The logic that syncs the two AC frequencies might be the same in both, or might not. If not the same, the results are unpredictable and, as DavidEM says, may be catastrophic.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:00 PM   #5

If your predator is nice and clean I've seen them just sell$100 under price new minus tax. If you had it a few years or got it with genny approved coupon ,cost went up might come closer to break even. A few new 4500watts Inv. gennies are something to consider. Remote start on many ,wheels, "amp,volt, hr meters". I've seen them tested running two RV ACs plus extra watts to spare. Fuel burn , noise ,size and weight is about same as the Predator.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:13 AM   #6

Thanks for replies,
Wanted more juice to run 3hp air compressor in metal building. Have not run permanent power yet due to cost, may look into PTO driven genies that will fit tractor.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #7

In a nutshell, the answer is no. Especially to permanently hooking up two AC generators in a permanent fashion. Although synchronization technology has improved over the decades since I first learned how to parallel two generators (mid-60s), it is still a process that requires a sequence of actions, whether manual or automatic.
With the first generator running, start the 2nd unit and connect the synchronization circuits (a very general term since there are numerous ways this is is done). Control the speed of the 2nd unit until it is just a bit faster, as in slightly higher frequency, than the first. Then connect the two generators, in which case the 2nd unit will grab some of the load. After that, pray that the two units each have reliable enough speed (i.e., frequency) control to run in a stable fashion.
Apologies to those of sufficient actual expertise in the field who cringed at my simplistic explanation.

Tags
generator, generators