Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2022, 10:57 AM   #1

Parent's motorhome

Parents are old enough where they can't use there motorhome anymore....so I am going to start using it. I have been tinkering on it for a few months but today is the first time in 2 years that it has left its hole....cant wait to have some fun with it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221105_084429.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	380278  
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #2

Best wishes to your parents and you have safe travels
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #3

They probably feel good that their son will now be using it and enjoying it as they did. Have fun!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #4

There baby

Yes.....and they can still see it everyday....
Old 11-05-2022, 02:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Bottom line is that using the motorhome will keep it better condition then having it just sitting there. Better to use it.

Any you could always consider taking to a nearby campground for them for short weekend trips, assuming they can drive they could just follow in a car.

I sold my previous RV to a friends parents. The mother passed several years ago but the father will still use the RV but he's to the age he can't drive it so they take it to a campground for him. He's ~94 and still enjoys it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

Any you could always consider taking to a nearby campground for them for short weekend trips, assuming they can drive they could just follow in a car.
Excellent idea!!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:14 PM   #7

Health conditions will limit it to day trips but that is the plan....myself I wish they could use it....but they cant...makes me sad but I am going to try and enjoy it for them...
Old 11-05-2022, 03:49 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should try driveway camping for a few nights before you go out on longer adventures. If things break you'll have the tools to fix them.

Also, check the DOT date codes on the tires (you can do a Google search for this). If the tires are more than 6-7 years old, you should consider replacing them. They'll age out before they wear out.

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The first thing you need to do is check the DOT date codes on the tires and replace them if they are over 10 years old. Also, fresh fluids for everything and new belts. Check the hoses as well.

Driveway camping is a must, if allowed by the local area you are in. Next is a trip to a park an hour drive from home...after new tires.

Here's to happy camping.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:57 PM   #10

Congrats on the new-to-you Flair.
Took over my parents 1996 Flair, after my step-dad passed away. We were going to sell it for my mom, but we fell in love with Maggie the RV.

It feels good to keep her in the family. Besides, you know how your parents maintained it, drove it, and you have the service history. Who can ask for more.

My best advice is to take her out around town, to shake things out. Change the fluids, check the brakes, test the furnace, water heater and the like. Then hit a campground near to you.

Good success and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Parents are old enough where they can't use their motorhome anymore....so I am going to start using it. I have been tinkering on it for a few months but today is the first time in 2 years that it has left its hole....cant wait to have some fun with it....
Old 11-05-2022, 11:35 PM   #11

Enjoy your new adventure. The good news is you know the history of the RV. That's a bonus. Have fun.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:12 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Good thread starter from Action. And, very good advice from the posts that followed. Nice lookin' RV there. I, sincerely, hope you have safe, and enjoyable, times with that rig. The only thing that I'll add is "No hurry. Easy does it."
TomsMaHauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #13

First drive

My first time driving a motorhome....took my dad to starbucks.....rode...drove....ran good. First time driven in 2 years and my first time ever....all seemed good.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221111_100649.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	380677  
Old 11-11-2022, 01:41 PM   #14

As others have mentioned....Check the TIRES. That is among the top safety issues. You need to check the DATES on the tires (all tires have date stamps that show the week and year they were manufactured). Regardless of how they look (ie. plenty of tread), if they are over 6 years old you should probably replace them.

Unless you are well experienced in RVs/trucks/etc, The next thing I would do is take it to an RV shop and have them perform a safety inspection. I do this for any new RV I purchase. I want an expert to verify that the brakes, belts, etc are all good to go. You should anticipate that they WILL find issues, leaks, etc. Since this is new to you (...and it helps that you got it for free(?)), starting off with an RV in good shape and SAFE is the way to go. You will sleep better driving your family and loved ones knowing that an expert has given it their blessing (and fixed whatever they found was wrong).

If you are a DIYer, there will be plenty of items on the inspection list that you yourself can do. Just have the RV shop do the things that you don't know how to do.

Welcome to the community. TONS and TONS of good information here to help you. Questions always welcome.

Happy Camping!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome